Sling is slow, but is this normal?

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Back when I was a directv customer I tested the "remote pro" app that was made for it. It would basically function as an on-screen remote for your android device, and even tell what's playing. I loved the app, as I could listen to music, and see what's playing with my TV off (saves energy).

The app was fast too. There was little to no lag when using it, when changing channels, or using the DVR functions. It was as fast as using the normal remote.

A couple days ago I got a sling adapter for my hopper. Now keep in mind that in the time of getting dish, my internet speed has not changed at all.

However using the app on my phone, is painstakingly slow. If I press pause, it takes a full 5 seconds to stop. Forget using rewind/fast forward, because of the lag, it's impossible to get it right.

To anyone else with the sling adapter, is it normal for the commands to have such lag?

Mine's pretty responsive. There can be a small lag but nowhere near 5 seconds for me.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

<rant on>

I find the lag similar to coinmaster. FF and RW are unusable on both my Android equipment and my PCs. Pause is OK, but even there the lag is seriously annoying. I feel that I wasted $99 on my Sling Adapter the day it was released; it's just that pathetic. I was expecting a zippy standalone client to be released based on the Slingbox Slingplayer app. Instead of releasing one, Dish ordered Sling Media to kill all such things on PCs for all things Sling, and instead forced an unbelievably ponderous and fragile browser-client/Dish-server solution on all of us. Can't even use it locally without an Internet connection of some sort, which to me is unacceptable.

I've gone back to my DVD-quality Hava Platinum which works reliably and only uses Monsoon servers when it has to, e.g. to make a remote connection. If I use my Sling Adapter once/month even for 5 minutes, I'd be surprised.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)