Sling media now supports HD!!

You can't capture video from a Slingbox, you can only watch video live. There was a program that could capture the stream from the Slingbox, however Sling encoded the streams with a recent software upgrade.

Scott Greczkowski said:
You can't capture video from a Slingbox, you can only watch video live. There was a program that could capture the stream from the Slingbox, however Sling encoded the streams with a recent software upgrade.

Ok. Not even for a screen shot? Could you use it to measure resolution and bitrate?

I read the review and I didn't see where it says that it downrezzes to 480i; although it said it downrezzes when there is limited bandwidth.

From the review
We were able to watch a baseball game streaming from our DirecTV HD TiVo DVR at full screen, 30fps, with only an occasional stutter. In fact, composite and S-Video sources looked great--using the component-video adapter didn't give us a noticeable improvement in video quality. While the Slingbox Pro could accept full HD video signals from our DirecTV HD TiVo, the HD sources actually seemed to be more prone to artifacts, including jaggies and dithering. (That could easily--and quickly--change as Sling optimizes its software.)

Scott Greczkowski said:

Well that's rather worthless then. I mean, you can get SD capture cards for your computer and send the data anywhere you want in any format you want.

If it gets me access to content, and it can play back MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 (AVC) then it will do what I want far cheaper than HTPC.

This assumes that they mean 30fps is the original HD content. It remains to be seen, and the Cnet article is not clear.

Cheers,

Last edited:
Scott Greczkowski said:
I want one just for the 4 component switching. :) But damn it they left out the remote learning feature again which I really want since I play with receivers which are not common.
You should learn about JP1 programming, which can be applied to the Slingbox remote.
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=19

Scott,

I can easily stream HD program captures on the backbone, but it looks like I'll need to have an HTPC to play them back. Arrrggh. So much for an easy way out.

Maybe one of the networked media players is the answer.

Cheers,

Scott, I know you currently have a slingbox so I direct this at you:

How does the slingbox handle 16x9 and 4:3 mixed content... I know it will not output HD resolutions (which is fine over the internet) but If i'm watching a 16:9 program will it pickup that image is anamorphic and stretch it properly (horizontally) or will I end up with a skinny image?

I would assume there is a format button on the player to fix the image, or is it the type of thing you have to set on the receiver's output (through HDTV setup?)

I have a 622 and will be getting a slingbox soon (maybe the new pro version will have that feature?)

On a side note, I also have a networked media player (snazio 1310) which I will be selling, is there a proper place on satguys I can announce this?

I decided to try the new software, version 1.4 - although there's a disclaimer on the download page that the original slingbox is not supported with this release, it appears to work fine.

It looks like they finally took my advice at least partially. I configured mine for "DVR - Echostar/Dish/Expressvu Code 4" and I am finally able to set my ViP622 TV1 remote address to something other than 1 and it still works with the slingbox. And the remote is actually a 6.3 DVR version with pip and swap buttons enabled finally! It even has the dish home button (whoopee) Now if E* would just make TV2 controllable by IR everything would be wonderful!

Still no Microyal remote code though.

Last edited:
TV2 control by anything other than UHF would be awesome... because 90% of the time i'm not using my tv2 to view it's just for recording and it'd be nice to use the sling to switch between TV1 (HD) and TV2... oh well at least one will work better now.