Sling TV CEO: ISPs Will Raise Rates to Try & Hurt Internet Video

At least in the US you fellas have some form of competition in terms of ISP.
Picture 2 companies owning everything (tv, radio, internet, cell and programming).

Not really, in most areas you are lucky if you have one broadband provider.

In many areas the internet is faster on your cell phone then you can get from your ISP.

But in some areas there is choice... but not much.

Not really, in most areas you are lucky if you have one broadband provider.

In many areas the internet is faster on your cell phone then you can get from your ISP.

But in some areas there is choice... but not much.
Data caps on cell service turn that method into a bottomless money pit.

50 GB is over $400 a month.
And that 50 GB is nothing when streaming HD per month.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Cox charges $66.99 per month for 50GB here in P'cola. There next lower plan is 5GB for $30 per month,which is not enough for streaming. It is already too high. How many GB do you really need for streaming.

How many GB do you really need for streaming.
You need a lot more than 5GB. That will only buy you most of one feature-length HD movie. Of course if you subscribe to a service that doesn't offer surround sound and has a pretty shoddy picture, it may be less.

At least in the US you fellas have some form of competition in terms of ISP.
Picture 2 companies owning everything (tv, radio, internet, cell and programming).

picture having no choices, as much of the rural us is void of broadband, with the exception of satellite, and maybe cellular

Well if you assume a bitrate of 3mbps that's about 375kBps. So doing that math thats 22.5 MB per minute, then we are at 1.35 GB per hour. So depending on the streaming quality just an hour a day would be 40GB.

For me 300-400GB a month is average for a few hours a day of streaming. Looking at the Cox website, I've used 280Gb with 5 days left in billing cycle this month, mainly a few hours on Netflix and CFL games on ESPN3. I average around 10GB a day. The most I've used was 80GB one day, watching 2 CFL games and several episodes on Netflix

All predestined, better start buying up rope, it's going to get expensive short term.
, the cable industry will feel free to raise rates further

Community/private fiber is popping up everywhere at $50, 60 and 70 dollars for 1 gig service

https://www.techdirt.com/articles/2...ndustry-just-enough-rope-to-hang-itself.shtml

https://www.cspire.com/home-services/packages/pricing/

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)