SLING TV gives America free 14-day 'quarantine offer'

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
SLING TV gives America free 14-day 'quarantine offer,' supports local and state shelter-in-place orders

March 26, 2020
- SLING TV unlocks its SLING Blue service for 14 days free as part of the company's 'Stay in & SLING' initiative- No credit card or subscription required, available through April 5- News consumption on SLING TV's top news channels has risen 121 percent over last month
ENGLEWOOD, Colo., March 26, 2020 /PRNewswire/ -- As healthcare systems and local and state governments are working to keep constituents informed during the COVID-19 crisis, SLING TV has opened its news-rich SLING Blue service for 14 days free as a public service.
Sling Television (PRNewsfoto/Sling TV L.L.C.)
"With more states and municipalities issuing shelter-in-place orders, everyone needs the latest information to do their part," said Warren Schlichting, group president of SLING TV. "We're hoping to motivate Americans to stay home, and stay informed during this critical time."
SLING TV Offers 14-Day Free Television
Starting today and continuing through April 5, those new to SLING TV can receive 14 days of SLING Blue by visiting sling.com. SLING TV's Blue service offers more than 45 live channels, free cloud DVR, over 50,000 on-demand titles, and allows simultaneous viewing on three screens. SLING Blue offers a variety of today's most popular news channels including: CNN, FOX News, HLN, MSNBC, Bloomberg TV, Cheddar News, Newsy and Local Now.
News Consumption Rises
As the COVID-19 crisis has unfolded, television news consumption on SLING TV climbed by triple digits over the last month. Since February 24, SLING TV's viewership of top news channels increased by 121 percent.
"Now more than ever American's are anxious to stay up to date, and no other streaming service offers the depth of live news available on SLING Blue," said Schlichting.
"Stay in & SLING" Initiative
Last week, SLING TV launched its "Stay in & SLING" initiative to help keep Americans safe, informed and entertained while practicing social distancing at home during the pandemic. This initiative, in part, provides Americans with cost-free access to news, plus thousands of shows and movies for the whole family, with no paid SLING TV account required.

I currently subscribe to YouTube TV. The first thing I noticed with Sling TV is that the sound is so much better!

Will have to do a lot more viewing before I decide whether to switch to Sling

This is my first time checking out Sling and it took me all of 5 minutes to realize there's no way I'd ever switch from YouTube TV.

The picture quality was horrendous on my Roku. Iron Man 2 on FX looked like it was filmed with the same home computer cams the news media has been using while conducting their reporting and interviews via video-conferencing. I can't imagine how bad live sports would look.

I also quickly noticed no ability to pause live TV. That's an innate reflex for me. Even if I'm prevented from skipping over TV commercials, I at least like to rewind to check something I missed or didn't understand. And why I never watch OTA or most of those free ad-supported "live TV" platforms.

But even before all those deal-breakers, I was quickly reminded when I went to set some recordings to test the DVR, the biggest deal-breaker of them all: NO LOCAL CHANNELS. I thought Sling had at least two or three in my area, but I didn't see any.

I can’t speak to the video quality you saw, but on my ATV4K the video with Sling is not quite as good as YTTV’s but certainly not horrendous.

Sling makes a good fit if you have good OTA locals or are also subbing to Hulu and CBS:AA for the broadcast shows.

Of all the streaming services that I've tried, Sling was the worst as far as video quality. I've tried DirectvNOW, YTTV, Hulu, Sony VUE and of course Netflix, HBOGO and Showtime. Good pricing and I like their programming structure but I can't see myself watching SLING for every day TV. Currently sticking with YTTV.

Reactions: Zookster
I can’t speak to the video quality you saw, but on my ATV4K the video with Sling is not quite as good as YTTV’s but certainly not horrendous.

Sling makes a good fit if you have good OTA locals or are also subbing to Hulu and CBS:AA for the broadcast shows.

I was probably exaggerating a bit. But it was certainly nothing I'd pay money for, even if it were my only option for live TV.

Even though I live smack dab in the middle of a major metropolitan area within 10 miles of each tower, OTA reception is very poor, requiring a fancy multi-directional rooftop antenna, which isn't an option.

When I started to go all streaming, I chose to use Sling Blue/CBS:AA/Hulu since that got all the channels I wanted. But I wanted some other channels an to do that I had to add to Sling a bit and in the end, Sling Blue with their all(?) bundle cost the same as YTTV and wasn’t as convenient as YTTV.

I’m with YTTV now as it covers all the channels I want except for Paramount. But since Paramount only has 2 shows I find any value in, I can either buy seasons of those shows or do without.

Video quality differences to me are slight enough that it isn’t an issue.

Hmmm. I wonder what Dish would think, if I, a Dish subscriber, took them up on it.

If they even checked or noticed.
I don't know. I have a Sling-Dish hybrid. Sling has worked out well. It definitely requires a little compromise, but it is hard to beat the Welcome Pack - Blue combo with the 2 TB EHD, locals, and discounted DVR-able Starz and Movie Pack.

Reactions: ncted

Sling is a pretty good deal relative to its competitors in terms of price and value. I have Sling Blue, it doesn't have every channel I like, but it has most of them. Picture quality is perhaps a notch below YouTube TV, but it seems reliable. The price guarantee is a nice thing as well.

Reactions: ncted
From what I read hear, you cannot skip commercials even on your recorded programs. Is this correct?
This is what they current say:

Can I fast-forward through commercials?​

DVR allows you to fast-forward through commercials on all recordings.

DVR functionality is available for all live content, except for the following channels:

• Digital Networks (Local Now, ESPN3, ACC Network Extra and SEC Network+)

Reactions: TheKrell

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)