Sling TV home setup

My understanding is it will work through an app designed for varies different devices. Roku, xbox one, pc, mac, ect. Dish wont actually have a box of their own, there is really no need for this service.

You would simply need to have a device capable of downloading the app at each tv to watch (and have a subscription). Of course at this time, you will be limited to one active stream per account. To watch in your bedroom while the wife watches in den, you would need two separate accounts.

50 % of TV viewing to be by app. No equipment to buy/rent, no service people, no install, etc. etc. going to be nice and cheap. Go Sling TV. I am assuming that there will be an app developed to aggregate all these new streaming services into one nice channel menu on our mobile devices or will just 20 choice channels be so good with the new Advertiser supported model that we won't think we need 180 channels anymore? Those new commercials are going to be killer! Some are predicting people will watch TV just to see the new format of commercials. Superbowl Ads will be lame in comparison!
Take Back TV
http://advanced-television.com/2013/07/12/tdg-the-future-of-tv-is-an-app/
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insigh...els-despite-record-number-to-choose-from.html

Without concurrent logins, this service will fail.

The only time this will be viable is if it was used to complement an existing Dish subscription.

My opinion and read of the situation based on the information I have heard about it is as follows:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Everyone seems to be measuring this service against their current TV package. That's not what this service is attempting to do.

This service is meant to try and attract people that are currently not paying for traditional subscription TV. And at the same time give Dish a toe hold in the emerging streaming marketplace. They're planting a flag on the streaming of linear tv OTT and hoping to draw in people that wouldn't otherwise be subscribers.

What they are not trying to do is cannibalize there Satellite service. They aren't there yet and the market isn't there yet. So everyone that is talking about how this won't fit their use case and comparing needing four subs to get the same number of TVs fed as their current traditional subscription is missing the point. Dish is perfectly fine with you staying where you are. Now, if you decide to otherwise cut the cord but can't live without ESPN, Dish has now given you a means up supplementing your OTA, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, VUDU, iTunes and torrent setup. Of course you're not going to get everything you were getting for an 80% discount just because it's streaming and not via sat, that's not the intent behind this and honestly pipe dream fiction and not economic reality.

As far as only "complimenting" an existing Dish package, that's the last thing this does. A traditional subscription from Dish will offer a sub much more than is included in this. Paying an extra $20/month for this would at best get them limited streaming of content (assuming their Dish setup is not capable of that). But even then, that's a poor choice. They'd be much better off getting a stand alone sling box and being able to stream everything from their traditional Dish package.

Sling TV subscribers will be able to pause, rewind and fast forward most live channels and VOD content.
For certain channels, the service includes a 3-Day Replay feature that gives customers the ability to watch shows that have aired in the past three days so no DVR is needed.
http://blog.roku.com/

Sling TV subscribers will be able to pause, rewind and fast forward most live channels and VOD content.
For certain channels, the service includes a 3-Day Replay feature that gives customers the ability to watch shows that have aired in the past three days so no DVR is needed.
http://blog.roku.com/
But, without the ability to skip commercials, it's a no-go for me.

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Everyone will LOVE the tailored commercials, even the tin foil hat crew will come on board, Make TV Fun Again! See post #22 for a clue.

Everyone will LOVE the tailored commercials, even the tin foil hat crew will come on board, Make TV Fun Again! See post #22 for a clue.
People already hate tailored commercials now on YouTube, Hulu, Yahoo, etc. What kind of idiot would suddenly start loving them? (Not a comment on posters, as there are obviously no idiots here at SG.)

Reactions: ChadT41 and TNGTony
"While Mr. Eisen couldn't provide specifics yet on the creative for the "Take Back TV" campaign, he said it will be in a language millennials understand and a tone they can appreciate."

IOW, no caps or punctuation, and a shipload of spelling errors.

My opinion and read of the situation based on the information I have heard about it is as follows:

I couldn't disagree more with this statement. Everyone seems to be measuring this service against their current TV package. That's not what this service is attempting to do.

This service is meant to try and attract people that are currently not paying for traditional subscription TV. And at the same time give Dish a toe hold in the emerging streaming marketplace. They're planting a flag on the streaming of linear tv OTT and hoping to draw in people that wouldn't otherwise be subscribers.

What they are not trying to do is cannibalize there Satellite service. They aren't there yet and the market isn't there yet. So everyone that is talking about how this won't fit their use case and comparing needing four subs to get the same number of TVs fed as their current traditional subscription is missing the point. Dish is perfectly fine with you staying where you are. Now, if you decide to otherwise cut the cord but can't live without ESPN, Dish has now given you a means up supplementing your OTA, Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime, VUDU, iTunes and torrent setup. Of course you're not going to get everything you were getting for an 80% discount just because it's streaming and not via sat, that's not the intent behind this and honestly pipe dream fiction and not economic reality.

As far as only "complimenting" an existing Dish package, that's the last thing this does. A traditional subscription from Dish will offer a sub much more than is included in this. Paying an extra $20/month for this would at best get them limited streaming of content (assuming their Dish setup is not capable of that). But even then, that's a poor choice. They'd be much better off getting a stand alone sling box and being able to stream everything from their traditional Dish package.

The problem is that there is no value in this service at the price point.

We got Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and several others that are priced at less than $10 per month. Why would I spend double that to watch a hand full of channels.

Where this adds value is if it's offered to existing customers who want to stream while they are at work or on the go. But at the same time I'm not going to buy this service when I already pay for the same channels at home.

Kind of reminds me of what vonage is doing. They are adding features such as visual voice mail, simulring, and even their virtual extensions app to add value to the service to compete with their price point. Same for the TV providers. They need to offer value added services to make their service more appealing to more people.

I can't see very many people who are cord cutters agreeing to spend $20 for sling TV, when they can Bundel with the cable company for $10 more and get 5 times more channels.

It's an experiment. That's why dish won't put their name on it if it fails.

People already hate tailored commercials now on YouTube, Hulu, Yahoo, etc. What kind of idiot would suddenly start loving them? (Not a comment on posters, as there are obviously no idiots here at SG.)
Certainly not, especially not any member that, shall remain nameless, who has started a number of threads in the Dish forum dealing with IPTV.

Reactions: ChadT41
The problem is that there is no value in this service at the price point.

We got Amazon, Hulu, Netflix and several others that are priced at less than $10 per month. Why would I spend double that to watch a hand full of channels.

Where this adds value is if it's offered to existing customers who want to stream while they are at work or on the go. But at the same time I'm not going to buy this service when I already pay for the same channels at home.

Kind of reminds me of what vonage is doing. They are adding features such as visual voice mail, simulring, and even their virtual extensions app to add value to the service to compete with their price point. Same for the TV providers. They need to offer value added services to make their service more appealing to more people.

I can't see very many people who are cord cutters agreeing to spend $20 for sling TV, when they can Bundel with the cable company for $10 more and get 5 times more channels.

It's an experiment. That's why dish won't put their name on it if it fails.

Live Tv. Live Sports. Programs unavaiable on Netflix, Hulu, and Amazon.

How soon will Dish/Echostar release their Home receiver/distribution box for Sling TV? Will other companies be coming out with their own box? Will we even need a Box? What is the best technology for a home with 4 TV's in different rooms. Most setups are currently using 4 roku's, one on each TV. With all the streams we are going to have coming into the home,, 1-4 separate streams from Sling TV, 15-60 streams/channels from OTA antenna, 1-25 streams from the soon to be released mini packages from the Android TV's, Amazons, Directs, etc. etc. etc.. It's almost limitless at the streams we will have at our fingertips. Is wireless tech good enough to distribute a quality signal to each TV? We will want to be able to connect our OTA antenna into the box. Will Dish have to buyout Roku for some kind of patent or does Dish already have the Tech to make this new distribution box? Could it be something as simple as a wireless router that could do the authenticating and then send the separate streams to the different TV's? Will all the different subs be tied to our individual cell phones/tablets and we just carry them to the TV we want to watch them on? How in the heck is Sling going to Sling all this stuff around?

The way a typical family setup might look like in the near future.
husband with the Sling TV sports pack subscription.
2 children, one with a Sling TV sub. other with a sub. from one of the soon to be services,
wife with a free advertiser paid sub. from one of the new streaming services

say the children want to watch a special show with the family in the den but their subscription is tied to the roku on their personal TV (bedroom) they would have to disconnect their roku and bring it to the den . Got to be a better way to handle all these different streams that we are going to be bombarded with. Every new carrier is not going to carry the same channels anymore like the current bundles do, so the personal mini packs seem to be the future.
Slng TV is NOT designed for a family household. Dish has been clear from day one they are targeting the LONE young person who streams just about all their content and will likely NEVER pay for a home cable or sat TV subscription and is not targeting current MVPD subs to cable and sat. SlingTV is a very diminished service to the experience of Hoppers and Genies. This is NOT a product that can replace the current Dish sat nor DirecTV nor cable subscriptions.

Sure, after a few years, SlingTV might be enhanced to provide MORE than one stream, but one of the BIGGEST problems Dish had getting channels to commit is that they greatly feared it would undercut their channels on cable and sat and would have households canceling cable and sat service and replace it with SlingTV. IMHO, the ONE stream model is most likely the ONLY way the channel owners were willing to provide the content at much LESS cost to SlingTV service than what DIsh and other MVPD's now pay to send that channel over sat or cable.

Look, SlingTV is the ONLY service we now know will be a reality in, perhaps, a matter of weeks. That is a huge achievement considering how channel owners never wanted to be part of such a system when these things were considered years ago. Now, we welcome the hoped for competition from Apple TV or Amazon rumored to be putting together a competitor to SlingTV and lone young people and cord-cutters can make their choice, but all the other players aren't believed to be even close with their own on-line product, yet.

Reactions: Nominal

DISH without a receiver - how is this possible?

Is Bluetooth working on the Joeys yet?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)