Sling tv pump up the price for add on packages

holy_devil

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 27, 2006
Ponce, Puerto Rico
Today l went to sign on for sling tv and all the add on packages were $15 dollars. Are they getting greedy or I'am crazy.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Well, they are $5 each and if you choose 3 add-ons it would run $15. If you chose no add ons it is $0 extra. The $5 for various add on packages is what they originally announced and is a good deal assuming an add on pack has stuff you'll watch.

This is what I saw using my phone. Maybe is a glitch or I didn't understand the offer. Will check later on the laptop.

Attachments

• 1425738990916.jpg
    1425738990916.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 343
  • 1425739015057.jpg
    1425739015057.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 322
SatinKzo is right, I did try to get the offer but it didn't ask for $ 60 for the core package. That's why I got confused. Sorry for the misleading post.

SatinKzo is right, I did try to get the offer but it didn't ask for $ 60 for the core package. That's why I got confused. Sorry for the misleading post.

From looking at your screenshots that is confusing. It does look like $15/month for each add on.

No big deal, The site isn't the most fluid yet. I'm just glad they finally added online package management... I will say their twitter account and overall customer service are great though.

Reactions: TheKrell
And welcome to a la carte
No equipment, no fees, no contract, cancel in the summer when not watching anyway. Gonna pay for internet whether Sling's part of my equation or not. I don't miss paying >$60 month for 90% Honey Boo Boo caliber programming. Sling's turnover will be sky high, but that's part of the appeal for me. Its a start/stop service by design. Maybe in the summer I drop Sling and play catchup with a month or two of over the top HBO. Also, I don't have to play Let's Make a Deal with customer service twice a year and to lower my bill. And I don't have to go into bill hacker mode to decipher what each of the baker's dozen fees mean.

Charlie figured out a way to get $20/month from me. Thats more that the $0 he got from me when I cut the cord 3 years ago. Say that I did pay for Sling+HBO+Netflix. That's $20+$15+8=$48 and cheaper than what Dish would require averaged over a 24month contract lock. I know that the promo is $19.99 for the first year, but when I cut my check to dish, how much is in the "amount" line? It wouldn't be $19.99. And beginning with month 13....well, you know the routine.

Ok, to clarify for those that just glance through the thread, no the add on package price is not going to $15 a month each. They remain at $5 a month.

However if you take advantage of the promo, the mobile site at least will list the add on price for the full three months at $15 each, which looking at the pics supplied is VERY confusing.

So nothing to get upset about.

Thanks to the OP for showing this though, I can certainly see how one could get confused.

Reactions: whitewolf8214
Until its "pick any channel for X amount" it will never be a true "a la carte" if that ever happens

One of the issues of course is that the channel providers usually insist that their channels go in the same "tier" as their competitor's similar channels. Probably why Dish is having to break them up into packs vs individual channels.

No, but you could have a system like "pick 5 for $20", or "pick 10 for $30", or "pick 20 for $50"
That also wouldn't work. Networks won't want you to have just one of thier channels. So if you picked ESPN, AMC, TNT, MTV, and Food Network, they would want way more than $20. The way Sling is able to have so many channels at $20 is because they are bundling groups of channels together.

Even at the pick 5 for $20 kind of model you are still going to have people saying 'but I just want one channel, why can't I just pay for one". So there is not pleasing everyone. And its not just about a la carte, its wanting cheap a la carte which is a pipe dream.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts