Sling TV

Just found that. The Roku 3 deal is what Ill take.

Looks like Banshee's last episode airs on Cinemax 3/13, so Ill be firing up sling tv and suspending Directv here soon.

Probably gonna go basic, hollywood pack and news pack. Hollywood may be iffy though. Will use sports xtra during coll fball.

This service definitely has its place, but for the money dish's family pack is a better deal IMO.

Got a coworker to sign up with SlingTV. When I showed him the channels he immediately picked up 2 rokus and will be removing DirecTV. My old man may do the same in a couple of months.

Reactions: Ronnie-
I just pulled the trigger on the 3 month upfront and another Roku 3 at discount.

I will suspend Directv for 6 months and give this a shot. I can always boot Directv back up if I do not like it, but I think I will. Monthly savings for me will be $74, and 6 months from now would increase to $84 once my 24 month $10 rebate expires. Not a bad yearly potential.

I went with the:

Basic pack
Sports Xtra
Hollywood Xtra
News and Info

Not bad at $36+ a month with tax.

Got a coworker to sign up with SlingTV. When I showed him the channels he immediately picked up 2 rokus and will be removing DirecTV. My old man may do the same in a couple of months.

Some people just have the TV on all the time in the background. If this service has channels that they like, it would be a good deal.

If they'd take a bunch of the channels they offer on the welcome pack and put them on Sling then we'd have something. I can't remember my first satellite system but I think it was Direct and I got it at Kmart for around $200. The programming package was around $29 or $39 a month. Seems we had everything but the movie channels for a decent price.

I would like to know how contracts are worked between Sling and providers. What kind of price and length of contract.
Unless Sling is immune somehow to contract conflicts prices will raise but at what pace?
Hopefully not as quick as tv/satellite comps.
No contract or hardware lease fees are a big plus.
I'm not a candidate yet for Sling TV but could be in another year or so.
I will certainly keep an eye on this and Apple and other streaming formats.

Sling TV: Core channel bundle likely to stay skinny
May 11 2015, 23:58 ET | By: Jason Aycock, SA News Editor

On the Dish Network (DISH -0.7%) earnings call today, Sling TV CEO Roger Lynch indicated that they won't be messing with the core offering of about 22 channels for $20/month, and will instead likely focus on what to do with the add-on tiers focused on genres and programming types.
“There’s not really another content provider that I feel we have to put in to be successful," Lynch said. "Doesn’t mean we won’t add more, but I think we’re going to be pretty focused on the price point because I think that's a key to our success too."
The offering has about seven different add-on tiers (including News, Sports, and Kids) offered for an extra $5/month each.
CEO Charlie Ergen differentiated ESPN -- considered the core bundle's must-have competitive advantage over other over-the-top services -- from regional sports nets that Sling doesn't offer. “It would be difficult to do any kind of bundle without ESPN." http://seekingalpha.com/news/251426...v:14ddb7b19bc95be336f247be8aa25fa2#email_link If in wrong section please move and I apologize!! :)

Reactions: fhsucade07
I have my wife grudgingly allowing a test of cutting the cord for June. I'll put Dish on pause and get the trial for Sling.TV. The channel line up works well for her generally but she will miss the DVR of local channels (I'll get those OTA) and she won't be happy about about Game Show Network not being there. She is into a couple shows on there.

I guess it will never happen, but if for some reason we can one day record sling channels on this DVR then that will be too tempting for me to pass.

Ordered sling.tv for our trial last Friday. My wife is definitely giving me a frowny face about no TLC or Game Show Network. I can maybe see her point on GSN as they do have some fun shows. But TLC? Exactly how many times do you need to watch someone shop for wedding dresses?

Reactions: thomasjk
I finally got fed up with all the "give some idiots some GoPro cameras and you have a reality program" type programming... so I put Dish on pause, and SlingTV is probably the way we are going to go, long term. Seeing that the president of Discovery Networks is getting over a hundred million a year in pay and bonuses, none of this money will be coming from my family anymore. He can take his "Naked and Afraid" yahoos and stick it. Thank you SlingTV!

Dish is now on pause and I did the roku 3 deal with Sling TV. Wife is living with it right now. So far it's working well except for one night when someone was overdriving their wireless router nearby and it clobbered my network.

I had the Roku connecting to my 2.4ghz wifi network. While watching sling tv the quality was fluctuating. Then my wife noticed her internet connection being weird. My computer connects via the 5ghz network in my home and my wife and Roku connect via the 2.4ghz network. So I knew the internet connection was fine but the wireless was acting up.
When I had setup my network I forced the channels for both of my networks based on an audit done 1.5 years ago. That night I used a tool to view all wireless in my area and audit again. What I found was someone who wasn't broadcasting their SID was camped on the same channel my 2.4ghz network was on and their WiFi signal strength was higher than the strength I get standing next to my router. (closest neighbor is over 100ft away)
That means they were using an alternate firmware (something like DD-WRT or Open WRT or Tomato) that allows them to change the broadcast strength of their wifi antenna and/or an external wifi antenna that was directed my way. Such a powerful wifi signal creates excess errors for my local network slowing performance.
So I moved my network to a different channel, and the problem was gone.
I checked the next day and the unknown SID was gone, or no longer powerful enough for it to show up as a problem.
I have since plugged my Roku into Ethernet of an additional router I added is connected to my internet main router via a bridge across the 5ghz network giving the Roku 150mbit(max) to work with (1/2 the 300mbit) instead of the 54mbit (max) of the 2.4 connection. And the 5ghz band is much more open in my area so much less interference and much better reliability. I wish the Roku supported the 5ghz band.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts