Sling vs. Nomad and switching to Directv.

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

teneightyp

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 16, 2008
Duluth, MN
Hello knowledgable satellite folks. I'm curious about the differences between Sling (Dish) and Nomad (Directv). It appears the glaring difference to me is Sling plays live tv and Nomad plays selected recordings. Is this true? I believe this makes Sling far superior. Is there anything that makes Nomad better? I'm thinking about switching to Directv simply because of the new customer deal and Dish is asking a lot of $ to upgrade my equipment. I currently only have 1 VIP612. Can somebody help me out here? Thanks!

Yes the only thing Nomad does is transcodes your DVR recordings so they work on your portable device. It does not do live streaming.

With that said if your going the DIRECTV route I highly recommend a STAND ALONE Slingbox unit. Which works GREAT with DIRECTV!

Dish is asking $100 for 722 or 922 upgrade and $200 for Hopper upgrade. That's not too bad but the new customer deal with Directv is pretty good. Can someone talk me out of switching?

Dish is asking $100 for 722 or 922 upgrade and $200 for Hopper upgrade.

Upgrade costs are variable depending upon how good a customer Dish thinks you are. I know the Hopper for most of us is a $100 upgrade. I thought the 722 was a free upgrade. Are your prices actual quotes from Dish? :eek:

Quotes were from 2 different peeps via chat on dish.com. If most people get a $100 upgrade and they're offering me $200 then I'm definitely switching to Direct.

Quotes were from 2 different peeps via chat on dish.com. If most people get a $100 upgrade and they're offering me $200 then I'm definitely switching to Direct.
Or, you can PM a DIRT member on SatGuys, and see what they can do for you.

I'm not trying to stop you from switching to DirecTV, if they have what you need and want. But, if you're happy with Dish, in general, and are just looking to upgrade HW, it's worth a shot.

Please send me a PM with your account or phone number and the four digit security code and I will see what I offer for the Hopper upgrade. Thank you!

Well I tried again and they didn't flinch. I checked on what others were getting for upgrades and like TheKrell said, most were getting hoppers for $100 or better. They had no problem with me canceling my account. I know we're squabbling over a few dollars here but I guess that's the game we play. I was about to upgrade my programming to an upper tier package and add Joeys. Off to Directv I go!

Most of us wouldn't call $100 "a few dollars". :(

This reminds me of the early days after the Hopper was introduced. Most were getting one for $100, and the 2nd for $100, but a few poor sots were quoted prices over $800! They were good customers, too. I thought Dish fixed this issue. Did Mary get back to you?

Since money is your only criteria, you should switch. Then in a year and 1/2 to two years or so when Direct TV costs you more or they also want at least as much to upgrade you can move somewhere else. There are people who do that and apparently are happy doing so. Just to let you know there are some of us here who have been with Dish a long time and get many perks because of it, either equaling or even exceeding that $100. Sometimes it depends on what other discounts or promotions you have had recently, as well as how well payments are received, and your programming level. I have had the TOP250 or whatever the top package was at the time for somewhere around 13 years. Pay on time. I feel Dish has rewarded me for that on several occasions, most recently when they changed how you can get EuroNews.

My only point is, if you are willing to have a different carrier when the time comes to upgrade to newer technology you will indeed save some money as a new customer. I have found staying, I may pay for the upgrade, but get alot back in return for staying. I would rather do that then lose channels we watch that others don't carry, or don't have in HD. I might feel differently of course if Dish did not have want we want for programming, but that's a different decision than simply a money one.

Last edited:
@TheKrell Mary did not get back to me. @Tampa8 I agree with everything you said. I'm stuck being the 2 year new year customer now. I wanted to stay with Dish and had been with them since 2008 but they weren't going to go that little extra distance to keep me. Whatever. I've got some nice equipment coming and some good channels for a great price (for two years anyway) so I'm happy.

To the op, glad that it seems you have gotten what you wanted. If you have any issues, obviously there are people here and other places that are willing to help.

Most likely you will be pleased. I was happy with directv before I swapped to dish, and am happy with dish now.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

I'm happy to get my regional sports network and msnbc. I never understood why msnbc is in upper tier only with dish but all packages with directv.

I know this is moot now that it appears that you have already pulled the trigger on the switch, but...when you say Mary never got back to you, did you PM her with your information like she asked?

Last edited:
Yes I did PM her with the info. I got a weird reply that didn't say anything other than the previous quotes and the numbers I supplied. No worries though. I'll have some fun with Directv and in two years I may switch back to Dish or something else, although I did like Dish and was going to go full in with programming and additional equipment.

As of earlier today, the nomad wasn't working. It seems to have more than its share of issues.

The sad part about the nomad is that it doesn't seem to be able to operate without phoning home fairly often; defeating the purpose of recording content for use while you're not connected.

@TheKrell Mary did not get back to me. @Tampa8 I agree with everything you said. I'm stuck being the 2 year new year customer now. I wanted to stay with Dish and had been with them since 2008 but they weren't going to go that little extra distance to keep me. Whatever. I've got some nice equipment coming and some good channels for a great price (for two years anyway) so I'm happy.

Glad it worked out for you even if it meant leaving Dish. Nothing wrong with Direct TV, my second choice for sure.

I switched to Directv from Dish recently. My son who is away at college used to use the Sling Adapter to get programming while he was away at college. I picked up a vulkano flow which was $99, sold the sling adapter on ebay and got $40 for that, so the vulkano really only cost me $60. He has been using the Vulkano for the last few weeks and really likes it. I have it hooked up wireless (which is why I got this instead of Sling) and it seems to work great. A few minor issues to start, but got them ironed out. The vulkano is hooked up to the h25 that was in his room. He can access the DVR on the HR34. Its pretty much just like he is watching T.V. in his room. It even has an actual directv remote on the screen, and he just clicks on a button just like he had the remote in his hand.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)