Sling with Hopper/Joey

eddwall

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 18, 2012
Trying to figure out how the sling interfaces with the H/J system. With a sling on the 722 it uses TV2.
Will the sling use or takeover the Hopper or if connected to the Joey takeover the device it is connected to. Or is it another device that will connect to your network and have access to your tuners. Looking at 2 Hopper/4 Joey system with two sling adapters.

It has been posted that it will just use the next available sat tuner.

Too bad they scrapped the "Sling Catcher" device for the sling adapter, which now sounds a lot like the Joey. Instead of getting 2 Joeys to put on 2 rarely used TVs, master and guest bedroom. The guest bedroom will get the Joey only when we have guests, and if I want to watch TV in the master during that time I am going to hook up a laptop and use sling. Saves me that extra $7.

Good idea....I may rethink a couple of Joeys...one was going in the study "sometimes used" and the other in a bedroom "rarely used" daughter off at college. One sling is for her and the other for me. Help me out some.....what's is a "sling catcher", on comparison with the sling adapter

Well the idea of the Sling Catcher (and I think Sling made one for a time for use with the retail Sling products) is that it sits at another TV and can access the Sling device. It didn't require a computer or phone to watch what was being slung. Dish had shown one such device to be used with the 922 and Sling Adapter that could be connected to another TV and you could watch the Sling Adapter or 922 Sling output and it would have a remote and Dish UI. I was waiting for that Device. But then it got canceled. But you can still achieve the same results if you can connect a PC to the Tv and access the Dish Online site and watch your Sling but you need to use a keyboard and mouse. I was looking at the Lenovo Q180 can getting there small keyboard mouse thing and using that, but it was a bit of an investment at $300 and I have laptops I can connect to the TVs anyway. Its just a pain because its a PC interface so you don't have a remote to skip and stuff. I see the Hopper/Joey as a local sling. The Joeys just receive the streams from the Hopper on a local network. I am assuming that the Joey probably was born out of the research on the Sling Catcher device. I hear that one of the stumbling blocks was getting a unified UI that could fit both the 922 and 722 and may have led to its cancellation. Does that answer any of your questions?

It has been posted that it will just use the next available sat tuner.

I didn't think he was talking about tuners, I thought he was talking about output streams. I thought that on the old receivers, if you want to use the Sling Adapter you can't use the TV2 output independently. Or am I mistaken?

I'm back, been up in the attic running RG-6 cables and dropping down walls. The sling catcher info was very good. Thank You !!

I am new to Dish and the Sling adapter, been with DirecTV for 12 years. I will be a new Dish customer. I was in the process of ordering from Dish 3 722 rcvr's and 2 slings, until I read about the H/J system and I decided to wait for it to come out. Now when using the Sling with the 722 rcvr
I was under the impression that it took over the output for TV2. My question was how the sling interfaced with the H/J system, (1) You can hook it up to the Hopper or Joey as long as you have an Internet connection at the device ???? (2) when the sling is in use, do you lose a device or output like the 722. For instance, would that Joey still be available for use on that current TV. Does the sling provide access to the system/6 tuners only???

I didn't think he was talking about tuners, I thought he was talking about output streams. I thought that on the old receivers, if you want to use the Sling Adapter you can't use the TV2 output independently. Or am I mistaken?

You're not mistaken and I'd really like to know the answer to that too - does an active Sling stream "borrow" one of the 4 usable streams (hopper out + 3 Joeys), or is it independent meaning you can essentially get 5 streams out of a single hopper?

I'm back, been up in the attic running RG-6 cables and dropping down walls. The sling catcher info was very good. Thank You !!

I believe it was cancelled due to performance issues.

I am new to Dish and the Sling adapter, been with DirecTV for 12 years. I will be a new Dish customer. I was in the process of ordering from Dish 3 722 rcvr's and 2 slings, until I read about the H/J system and I decided to wait for it to come out.

Good move.

Now when using the Sling with the 722 rcvr I was under the impression that it took over the output for TV2.

Yes.

My question was how the sling interfaced with the H/J system, (1) You can hook it up to the Hopper or Joey as long as you have an Internet connection at the device ???? (2) when the sling is in use, do you lose a device or output like the 722. For instance, would that Joey still be available for use on that current TV. Does the sling provide access to the system/6 tuners only???

Currently, as I understand it, you must hook it up to a Hopper. I might be wrong. Some things will change once full integration between the two Hoppers is implemented. The sling will take up one of the three tuners for live programming. One day, we can say, one of the six tuners in a two Hopper implementation.

Are you sure you need two Slings? Wouldn't a single Sling Adapter serve your needs?

Doesn't a sling adapter give remote access to one user at a time? I need two access points!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)