Slingbox Intermittant Hangs

prcasher

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Nov 11, 2004
Having problems when viewing remotely. It happens on both our Vista laptops, seems to occure less when bypassing the wireless router and connecting direct to the dsl modem. Worked fine when we were back home on the wifi there. Happens with either the Slingbox program or web based Sling.com. Would call support but don't want to incurr fees. Anyone have the same problem or have a solution? Thanks in advance.

Happens to me from time to time. The only solution I can offer is to reset your wireless router. One way to do that is to get one of those appliance timers and have it automatically turn the power off and back on at a desired interval. I've done that and it works well to keep the thing running.

I have cable HSI with a modem feeding a Linksys wireless router. I then have a eth cable out from the router to a Netgear XE104 powerline adapter. I have the second powerline adapter at the tv, and an eth cable to my Slinbox SOLO. I have ZERO problems with the Sling while I am away.

Seems the program in the pc hangs as the indicators continue to flash in the dsl modem and wirless modem. This is happening at my remote location not at home with the slingbox. It looks like the slingbox is continuing to send the data.

Looks like the video and sound freezes but the remote still takes commands and passes them onto the Slingbox.

Tried to fiddle with the Slingplayer options but it seems some are not adjustable with Vista. Still having the same problem. Wondering if Sling support on the 922 is better as far as being charged for calls after the grace period?

Was thinking about Sling Player but I guess my dreams are fading.

Slingbox SOLO hangs during optimize: Sling Community

Too bad support isn't covered by the monthly fee we pay on the service agreement for our Dish equipment.

Guess I'll have to rethink my needs for next year, currently using Sling in our Fla mobile home with an antenna for the locals, keeping up our Dish service in our home up north. Using an old Tivo series 1 with the antenna without contract to get by.

Could be, we use two Vista laptops with wireless G router and dsl. What urks me is it was working fine when we left here in the spring using the same setup. The only things that changed were the upgrades to Vista and Slingplayer.

I had that problem in the past when my dsl modem was acting like the router. Once I put the modem in bridge mode and gave the router the job of handling the ISP connection my problems went away.

I had that problem in the past when my dsl modem was acting like the router. Once I put the modem in bridge mode and gave the router the job of handling the ISP connection my problems went away.

Back when I had DSL, I remember having to do something similar that I learned off DSL reports. Sounds like a good suggestion.

Guess I'll have to wait on the bridge thing til I can get something newer. The old wireless routers I have won't do the trick (an Ativa and DI-524) I played around all day and got nowhere.

I also have a D-Link DI-524. I find it generally works quite well. I have 5 slingboxes behind it and they all work great. I am using FW 3.02 as I found the newer firmware to cause excessive reboots.

Is your DI 524 in bridge mode? I see my firmware is 1.23 that was the last fw for the revision of the DI-524 I have, 08/2006.

Thanks, I'll check it out. Also, a couple of things the wife says she can get it going by clicking on the power button on the remote once to stop it and again to start it again. Plus, I notice my streaming rate seems to be varing and running low, I'm having my son up north check it on his laptop.

My son says the streaming rate varies there too, seems to depend on what is being watched. You would thing you would get an error message rather than a hang. The wife now says the trick with the power button isn't working now. Seeing it happens on both our laptops and others have similar problems guess we'll live with it until we find an alternative, maybe check into internet tv with it's one time fee, would probably miss watching local news back home but seem to be getting away from watching it lately anyway.

Just ran Windows Media Center stuff for a couple of hours flawlessly with very good picture quality. To my mind this would eliminate my ISP, hardware and operating system down here. I asked my son up north if he could test it, leaving it run for a while up there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)