Slow Motion/Strobe Effect?

KenB123

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Northern Illinois
I just noticed recently (in the past week) while watching some HD network shows, an occasional slow-motion of the video. I saw this again last night while watching "Carpoolers" on ABC-HD. It is a bit difficult to describe accurately, but it is like some video frames are missed which then gives a slow motion (strobing) effect to the video. The audio stays in sync. And there are no 'blank' frames. The video stays coherent. It lasts only a couple seconds and then everything is fine for awhile. Occurs occassionally during the program, while commercials appear fine.

First off, I question whether anyone else is experiencing this?

If it is a broadcast issue, then I can just stop here. If not, then I have to start debugging my system to determine whether it is a 622, A/V receiver, or TV problem.

Yea!,...... I had that happen a lot on my 622. So far I only noticed it on DVR play back or when live is paused and I am a few minutes behind. I noticed it on both HD and SD channels.

Called DN "Advanced Tech Support" to see if anyone else has the same problem and they said they never heard of this before.

Sounds like a software issue and don't really think there is any hardware fix's.
I swapped my LNB, Diplexers, Seperator, Wall barrels some cable and it is still doing it sometimes.

ABC HD, was it OTA????

had a similar problem here on CBS HD OTA. Jerky picture on 7.1, but 7.2 was fine. All other channels were also okay.
I thought it was my Sony. Called my sales person friend and he related it was happening on a couple other Sony sets.
On about the tenth day the CBS engineer chimed in on the AVS forum asking if anyone was having a problem on 7.1. Turns out CBS had a software decoder problem and it was only affecting certain tuners. He fixed the problem.

fred

ABC HD, was it OTA????
No. My locals are provided by Dish.

One other thing possibly of note is that the program I was watching was also being recorded on the DVR at the same time. Don't know is there is a connection, but will have to keep that in mind.

As I mentioned, I only started noticing this in the past week.

This started happening to our 622 receiver in the past week or so. It lasts about 3-5 seconds. Seems to only happen during HD recordings.

I've noticed the same thing with mine over the past several weeks, audio is fine but the video looks like it's about 1 fps. It seems to happen to me only when playing back a recorded event or pausing a live event (SD or HD) and can last 20-30 seconds. I don't seem to remember it happening while watching live TV but I'm not sure.

I can't rewind to duplicate the problem either (i.e. if it 'slows down' and then goes back to normal and you rewind back to a point where it was slow, it's now fine). I've just assumed it was a new software "feature" that would be fixed "soon" :)

:eureka Maybe this the work-around to the Tivo patent; " . . . ladies and gentlemen of the jury, our DVR could not possibly infringe on the Tivo patent as theirs plays back video at full frame rate and ours clearly does not. If the video looks like $**t, you MUST acquit! . . ."

First off, I question whether anyone else is experiencing this?

I usually don't watch anything "live". I've got a 722 and so far have only noticed this once during an episode of "According to Jim" on ABC-HD (WLS-Chicago). Stopping/Starting playback had no effect. The issue did not occur when switching to live TV and other programs played back fine. I figured it was something about the way the program was originally broadcast (or recorded).

Happens, but vary rare, on the 722's I have. Usually for just a few seconds, then it seems to just go away.

this has been happening to me as well and it happens on both the sd and the hd!! i noticed it very good the other night!! i recorded Parking Wars off of A&E HD and it did it almost all the way through the show

I've had this happen on my 722 occasionally the past few weeks. Seems to be primarily on OTA recordings, but not exclusively. All mine have been HD, and sometimes its while the DVR is recording, but not always...so I guess these are all systematic issues, but no single defined culprit.

So, is it a software glitch?

I see this effect on HD channels on my 622. I have found that on some channels, depending on the program, it happens after the audio gets just ever so slightly out of sync. Then the audio would get choppy and the video would go into stobe/slow motion. Then the audio would be in sync again. I could be wrong, but I believe this started to happen when DISH went to their latest encoders. The audio sync has been much better lately with the exception of the very occasional strobe effect to correct itself.

Many OTA stations are having the same audio sync problems with their network feeds. I guess the industry is still beta testing this stuff. Maybe it will get better "soon". :D

I too noticed this. I noticed it while watching LOST in HD. It started happening two weeks ago. I get my locals via Dish. It happens while watching the program live or the DVR'ed recording of the same program.
:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Happens to me as well, been going on for a few weeks at least. Happening right now during Lost HD. I have only noticed it during live TV. all locals are via Dish, and I have a 622. Sure would like this fixed though....its very annoying!

I posted this a few weeks back. Since then I have added an OTA antenna for the HD channels. I was watching one of the ABC-HD programs last night where this 'slow motion' effect was occurrng. The channel was from my Dish-TV Locals. (NOTE: My DVR was running at the time, but recording a different show.)

I then switched to the OTA ABC-HD channel, and the 'slow motion' affect was NOT there. I have to conclude that Dish is responsible for this artifacting.

I posted this a few weeks back. Since then I have added an OTA antenna for the HD channels. I was watching one of the ABC-HD programs last night where this 'slow motion' effect was occurrng. The channel was from my Dish-TV Locals. (NOTE: My DVR was running at the time, but recording a different show.)

I then switched to the OTA ABC-HD channel, and the 'slow motion' affect was NOT there. I have to conclude that Dish is responsible for this artifacting.

I have actually seen it on my OTA as well, but happens so infrequently & if I take a second to back up w/ the dvr, it will play back w/o incident. BTW, I have a 622.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)