Slow Responses in 722k -- Thoughts?

rodin

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 25, 2006
I know there is a lot of information on the slow guide and general responses of the 722k, but I just found something interesting, and would like some thoughts...

I am in the Austin, TX DMA, but "moved" to Dallas DMA quite awhile back, but back in August of this year, my 722k died, so I had to "move" back to Austin to have my replacement shipped. I left my service in Austin for a few months, then recently did the "move" back to Dallas.. Here is where things are interesting (at least for me).. The ENTIRE time I was in my normal DMA (Austin), the guide, and EVERYTHING else responded VERY fast, nearly instantaneously. Fast forward to now -- in the Dallas DMA outside of my home DMA -- Immediately AFTER I "moved", my receiver is doing the sluggish guide, not responding to anything, takes several seconds. Not too sure if it's really related or not, but found it very interesting.. I'm tempted to move my services back to Austin, to see if that helps or not.

Thought I'd pass along my findings, could be totally random, but a few months of it working flawlessly before moving to DFW, to moving to DFW and it being S-L-O-W.

No more ViP922 units will be sent out, except as one for one like kind replacements, until they get the BBMP sw working.

I know there is a lot of information on the slow guide and general responses of the 722k, but I just found something interesting, and would like some thoughts...

I am in the Austin, TX DMA, but "moved" to Dallas DMA quite awhile back, but back in August of this year, my 722k died, so I had to "move" back to Austin to have my replacement shipped. I left my service in Austin for a few months, then recently did the "move" back to Dallas.. Here is where things are interesting (at least for me).. The ENTIRE time I was in my normal DMA (Austin), the guide, and EVERYTHING else responded VERY fast, nearly instantaneously. Fast forward to now -- in the Dallas DMA outside of my home DMA -- Immediately AFTER I "moved", my receiver is doing the sluggish guide, not responding to anything, takes several seconds. Not too sure if it's really related or not, but found it very interesting.. I'm tempted to move my services back to Austin, to see if that helps or not.

Thought I'd pass along my findings, could be totally random, but a few months of it working flawlessly before moving to DFW, to moving to DFW and it being S-L-O-W.

I think your experience is coincidental as most of us are in our own DMAs and experiencing the problem. My 722 was horrible this PM. I couldn't even get to the guide and when it finally decided to try to display the guide, it went to the guide and then asked which one I wanted and then flashed back to the picture without guide. I ended up having to reboot the damn thing. Leave it to Dish to take a good thing and turn it into crap. This has been going on for a long time now. There is no excuse for not tracking down the problem and correcting it.

I think your experience is coincidental as most of us are in our own DMAs and experiencing the problem. My 722 was horrible this PM. I couldn't even get to the guide and when it finally decided to try to display the guide, it went to the guide and then asked which one I wanted and then flashed back to the picture without guide. I ended up having to reboot the damn thing. Leave it to Dish to take a good thing and turn it into crap. This has been going on for a long time now. There is no excuse for not tracking down the problem and correcting it.
To your point, it is NOT happening to everyone, myself included. That's the mystery.

I guess it would have been better stated as: most of us experiencing the problem are in our own DMAs. That said, I've now had two different 722s experiencing the problem. The first one experiencing the problem lost a HDD and was exchanged for another which immediately had the problem. I had the first 722 since April 2008 and it started the slowness when everyone else's did. Since everyone gets the same software downloaded (I'm presuming that to be the case as I don't know for sure), I'd have to suspect a hardware component or a hardware/software interaction. I suspect not every 722 has identical hardware, although I could be wrong about that. If components were sourced from different vendors, that might be the source of the problem. If you take a problem 722 and roll back the software to an earlier version and the problem disappears, you know the code is at least part of the problem. If the 722s with the problem have components that differ from problem free 722s, you have potentially identified another source of the problem. These would be the first things to do in troubleshooting. Whether they have done any of this, I don't know. I tried to get to the guide again this AM and the same crap as yesterday requiring a reboot. I wouldn't be surprised if the work on BBMP has delayed investigation of this problem.

if you are having remote trouble, try chaging the remote code to a higher number. also try change even and odd. i notice that if mine is set to 2 it is very slow, but if i set it to 11 it is fast.

So, as an update -- I actually unplugged my ethernet connection to my system prior to "moving", and just last night plugged it back in. Here's something interesting -- the entire time I was in the Austin market, I had it connected to internet.. Fast forward to me "moving" -- I unplugged it for several days, slow guide information and sluggishness of the entire system. Now yesterday.. I plugged internet back in, about 3 hours after I had done that, the system is speedy gonzales. I've rebooted the system a few times as well to verify if it remains the same, and it does. As of this writing, the system is still FAST. Going to test it like this for a few days, then unplug it again.. Interesting none the less...

So I unplugged the ethernet again yesterday, and it got SLOOOOOOWWW.. plugged it back in today, it's speeding up again.. Things that make you go hummmmm...

So, I've done more tests over the past 2 weeks, and each time I unplug ethernet, the box slows down, everything is slow, creeps along.. Every time the ethernet is plugged back in, within a few hours, it's back up to being speedy and immediate responses. It may be just a fix in MY scenario, but it certainly fixes the problem each and every time for me.

Just wanted to give everyone else an opportunity to try to see if that fixes it for them, too.

My ethernet is always plugged in and mine goes through periods of slowness, usually after a period of nonuse. Sometimes the remote is totally unresponsive and I have to go to the receiver control panel to get the receiver to function. Afterwards, the remote then works -- sometimes. In some cases I have to do a hard reboot to get anything to work.

And Dish is wondering why they are losing so many subscribers. How many more months would it take for them to fix this problem???

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts