Status
Please reply by conversation.

tgelston

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Oct 11, 2007
Hello,

I am working at a small college in New England - we have a BUD and a
Chaparral 100c. It has sat unused for sometime and recently our foreign language department has expressed some interest in finding foreign channels to watch. I played with it for awhile today - many, many years ago someone favorited a bunch of channels- very few of those now get anything. I found the following info that seems to be helpful

The Chaparral Satellite Receiver Information Page - Chaparral Satellite Receiver Information from Texas A&M University

C-band Chart - satellite chart for c-band video

I know how to adjust position and polarity - anything else I need to change as I scan? What is the most efficient way to go about finding some foreign language channels?

I appreciate any help you all can provide.

Thanks,
T

well it sounds like a analog receiver , which there is little up there in the way as programming to receive , maybe a stray spanish channel , you would probably come out better moderinizing the old bud ( if its able to receive ku) by adding a new c/ku feedhorn and add a dvb receiver . you can still use the analog receiver to move the big dish. lots of foreign channels on ku and on c-band but most that i've seen are digital ( needing the dvb receiver)

if you haven't entered the contest / giveaway by one of our sponsors Giveaway

but ask any questions you have and we will try to help out with your current system

Get c/ku if you don't have that already, slave a dvb receiver to the chaparral and point at Galaxy 25.

What kind of programming are you looking for mostly?

Thanks

Thanks for the info so far. I appreciate the guidance.

How much does a DVB Cost? We currently offer the following languages, receiving any channels that have any content in these languages would be useful:

French, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic

Thanks,
Tobias

a DVB receiver can run from $35 (simple one) to 500 bucks or more

most will run from 100-150 and those usually have a lot of features and are easy to use :)

Thanks for the info so far. I appreciate the guidance.

How much does a DVB Cost? We currently offer the following languages, receiving any channels that have any content in these languages would be useful:

French, Chinese, Spanish, Arabic

Thanks,
Tobias

I get a ton of Spanish programming on c-band, you will find the others on both c/ku, well for French I'm not sure but the other for sure.

IA-7 (or whatever its new name is now) at 97W has a boatload of foreign channels on Ku band (digital).

Iceberg, where do you find a $35 DVB receiver? I'm interested. :)

Last edited:
Digital or Analog

PEPPER - is that digital or analog content?

Thanks !

Gotten the Go Ahead

So I have gotten the go ahead to explore the idea of purchasing a DVB. Because we are a college we have to go through certain vendors. Can you all recommend a couple of brands maybe even specific models you think would work well for us.

I was doing a little reading and I am confused about some DVBs might replace the chapparal we have or some might working in conjunction. Also, how do I tell if we can get Ku Band?

Man you guys have been great.

Thanks,
Tobias

If the receiver is a DVB (Digital Video Broadcast) receiver it should also support the Ku band, you also need a Ku band dish/LNB.

A C-Band LNB converts the signals it receives using a Local Oscillator to 950 MHz - 2150 MHz.
A Ku-Band LNB does the same thing.

The receiver does not see a C or Ku band signal, it decodes whatever it is given to it on the L-Band (950 MHz - 2150 MHz).

EDIT - As long as you can set the LO (Local Oscillator) frequency the receiver can uses and LNB that converts the signals onto the L-Band.
EDIT - Most new receivers can.

Last edited:
Not a pencil

maybe the point but no more. mesh looks fine but it is high enough that I cannot verify for sure.

Thanks,
Tobias

The mesh looks nice and fine, but I'm trying to see evidence that it has a C/Ku LNB. I can't quite tell how many RG6 wires are running to the LNB housing.

Doesn't really matter how many RG6 go in... just how many RG6 are hooked up :/ The last 3 dishes I've taken down had 2 RG6, and I secretly hoped for a dual c-band or a c/ku lnb to add to the collection. All 3 had 1 c-band lnb and one unterminated rg6 cable hanging loose inside :(

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)