Small College, Looking for international channels

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Scanning for Channels

So I had some time today - I sat down and scanned up and down each channel

My position range was 5367 - 4877

At the high end I received a sat signal with Fox News on 21, Religion on 17, and some other stuff that makes me think it is Galaxy R1. Next I hit G5(only got the Trininty Channel there- makes sense looks like everything else is Scrambled. At the low range I hit AMC 3. To make a long story short- it is confirmed that I am going to get very few channels without a DVB converter.

What DVBs do you all recommend and

What can I do with the Polarity and Bandwidth setting. Something I read somewhere said switching polarity will get me different satellites? is that the normal/reverse deal?

Thanks,
Tobias

to make a good recommendation on what would be the best DVB receiver , would slightly depend on the lnb is going to be mated with. so uncovering and a photo would be nice or getting the name and an idea of whats out there

some DVB receiver can control a corotor polarity is why i'm saying this so if the feedhorn has three wires or one even hooked up at the receiver or out at the dish

other dvb receivers just change the polarity by sending a small amount of voltage through the coax 13 volts for vertical and 18 volts for Horizontal.

or you could leave it hooked up like you have it and slave a coax over to the new dvb receiver and everytime you want to change polarity on the dvb receiver you would need to change the channel up or down one on the Chaparral 100c

with the current setup when changing channels it changes polarity and all the channels are preset.

here is a basic satellite chart layout
Analog CBand and KuBand Chart

Last edited:
Pics Help?

George or any others. Been busy with other projects but this is still on my list.

These are the pics I posted earlier

Library

Do any of those help you make a recommendation for a DVB. If not what do you need to see to make a rec?

Again - thank you to everyone who has responded and guided us in this direction.

Thank you,
Tobias

IMO, the Pansat 2700 is a great receiver and will get you plenty of international channels with a big dish. It will also change polarity on it's own, so you won't have to rely on the old analog c-band receiver to change polarity. Just make sure you get one from an authorized dealer and not a "clone".

Also purchase a V-Box II or III so the DVB receiver will control the actuator arm (dish mover) with the DISEqC 1.2 commands.

Jericho, thank you for the rec- that looks like it is within our budget no problem.

Brian, So also purchasing a V-Box II or III will allow us to control the dish position automatically. If we did not purchase this we would have to move the dish using the chapparal box we currently have and then channel up and down with the DVB?

Thanks - just trying to figure it all out!

--Tobias

well what i was going to suggest would be to take a look at the feed horn (and you would have to remove the cover on it) it probably c band only . To get ku you would have to either get a newer corotor , or get a c/ku all in one like the bsc621, or set up a motorized ( or even stationary) dish just for ku.

taking the motor control to the DVB receiver & v-box is a great idea ( its what i did with my system).

Brian, So also purchasing a V-Box II or III will allow us to control the dish position automatically.
Yes exactly
If we did not purchase this we would have to move the dish using the chapparal box we currently have and then channel up and down with the DVB?
yes ...channel up & down with the chap 100 to change the polarity

this is why we would need to know what type of feedhorn is out there , if you swap to a v-box and you has a polorotor or corotor type feedhorn they you would have to have a dvb receiver that can control the polarity .

if you swap out the feed horn to a bsc621 / geosat pro c/ku then the most dvb receivers can control the polarity on this feedhorn and move a v-box. ( easiest to change channels & move the dish)

Last edited:
The question that won't die :)

There has been renewed interest in getting this technology working. Less emphasis now on Foreign channels and more a focus on hoping we could get C-Span? and other news type channels?

We are going to order Pansat2700, we may order the V-box at a later time. I took a pic of the back of the Monterey Receiver that has cables attached to both C and Ku coming from the dish, Does this mean or guarantee that the dish is both C and Ku capable?

Anything else I should know that you haven't already told me.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks,
Tobias

Attachments

• monterey.jpg
    monterey.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 131
Random stroke of luck - Called the local tv guys to get price quotes for Direct TV and he knew about our dish and says it is C only. So when I look at 1st-satellite.com/satellite_tv.html C-band link I don't see much that excites me - If we get the converter the DVB channels will be accessible but what the heck are they?

I really do appreciate you continue to help a confused guy out!

No, that is the actuator on the back of the dish - it makes the dish move to point it. We need to see the front of the dish, and under the cover, where the coax hooks up.

Oops, I see I missed a page. BUT, NEVER trust a dish salesman to tell you if you can get KU band. AND there are PLENTY of FTA on C band digital anyway!

From the picture of the back of the reciever it looks like it could have ku. My idea is based on the fact that there is a red, white and black wire going into plugs that might say polarotor(it's not clear enough for me to to read). It could also be dual cband lnbs and the r,w,b wires aren't connected at the lnb. But it would still be better to get a picture of the lnb to be sure.

I agree with rv1pop, don't trust the salesman. It's in his interest to sell you something whether you need it or not.

Last edited:
From the picture of the back of the reciever it looks like it could have ku. My idea is based on the fact that there is a red, white and black wire going into plugs that might say polarotor(it's not clear enough for me to to read). It could also be dual cband lnbs and the r,w,b wires aren't connected at the lnb. But it would still be better to get a picture of the lnb to be sure.

good eyes SatPhreak :)
i did miss all the connections

The Pansat 2700A has arrived

And we are totally stumped by the setup.

We current have the Monterey clearly receiving CSPAN on what we guess is Satcom C3. When we hook up the Pansat 2700 and go through what seems to be a lengthy scan we end up with nothing. Well actually we end up back at the menu, it won't let us out.

We are just now running the SmartSearch and and seems to have found one bit on the Horizontal at 3800 H 29.200, it is running the vertical now but I am not so hopeful.

Thoughts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)