Small Dish C-Band Setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

openfire

Original poster
Jul 23, 2013
Washington, DC
Hi guys,

New to the forum, but I'm excited to be here. Really looking forward to continue to learn more about how all this stuff works.

I have a pretty basic question:

I'm hoping to downlink C-band content off of Galaxy 16. According to lyngsat (how awesome is that site!?), the EIRP in my area is 42.6. This corresponds to an 80-100cm dish size.

However, it seems like the vast majority of C-band dishes are huge, and there's not a whole ton devoted to smaller diameter C-band dishes, with the exception of the "small dish project", which sounds a little intimidating.

Personally, I'm willing to go up to a 1.2m dish to receive C-band off Galaxy 16. I can only assume that this should work without any major issues. I'd just need a 1.2m dish, a proper LNB, and a receiver, as far as I can deduce.

So:

1. Should a 1.2m dish be sufficient to receive C-band content off G16?
2. Is there anything I should be aware of (some sort of small dish C-band pitfall)?

Thanks so much for your help, and I look forward to getting involved with the site.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!!!!

Well depends on what you want to get off of G16. You should get the PR Mux and a couple of other stuff. You will not get everything though with a 1.2M.

ke4est - Thanks so much for the comment.

How do I determine what G16 content is on the PR Mux? I've done some basic googling, but it hasn't turned up much.

I've looked at the channels that I want to get, and according to lyngsat, they are all in the 40+ EIRP. Is there a reason I wouldn't receive that content?

It is possible to receive the stronger c-band from 99.2w using a 1.2m dish. I have done it, but wasn't impressed. I really suggest a 1.8m (6 foot) dish as a minimum.

The biggest issue with a smaller dish, is that they "see" too much sky. That means that satellites to the left and right will bleed over, and interfere with the signals you do want. Even a 1.8m dish will "see" more than 2 degrees of sky, and the sats are only 2 degrees apart. When fortune is upon you (where channels fit on the main sat you are aiming for) this can actually be cool, as you can then receive signals from TWO satellites at the same time when properly aimed!

Since you are new to this, you have to get the equipment, and it can be pricey if you are in a hurry, as of course the easiest way is to just buy it all outright. If you are dead-set in only using a 1.2m dish, buy this one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/48-Inch-120...977?pt=US_Antennas_Dishes&hash=item1c2a432201

It is a superior dish, and well worth the money. Shipping is higher, as dishes that size have to go truck freight. Here's an idea on saving money: Get a local friend interested in also doing this. Brian of SatAV can ship multiple dishes without much if any higher shipping cost. Ask your friend to split the shipping cost with you, and get two dishes! That dish also comes with a great KU lnb, and you can use it for setting up the dish and getting it tweaked up. Once KU is perfect, C-band will also be perfect (but you have to then change to a c-band lnbf)

Prime -

Thanks for the great insight. When you say that you weren't impressed, do you mean that the signal quality wasn't good? One of the channels I want to get is eScapes TV, which is:

Galaxy 16 99.0°W 3785 MHz Horiz DVB-S2 8PSK
MPEG-4 4849
3/4 FEC

I've heard that the S2 content is a bit tougher to get - if this really is impossible on a 1.2, I suppose that I could move up to a 1.8m, but I strongly prefer the 1.2.

Both sizes look about the same at a distance, if aesthetics is your concern. Having an unreliable signal or no signal at all is reason to prefer the largest dish you can accommodate.

S2 stuff will be hard to get, if you get it at all on a 1.2....also eScapes is going to encryption soon, so I would not invest much if that is your main reason for doing this. Lots of other stuff on FTA to get though...:)

If you are going to be fixed on one satellite you might consider hunting up a (free?) 1.8m Prodelin (commercial molded) offset dish and attaching a C-band lnbf to the feed support.

Many are on roofs of car dealerships and are no longer being used, most will have a non-penetrating roof mount also if you are interested in using one of those for your setup.

You will NOT easily keep S2 signals on a 1.2m dish locked, even if you are center of the footprint and do manage to get them in the first place. It's even going to be an issue keeping them locked on a 6 foot dish. I had a 6 foot dish last year for a couple weeks, and quickly switched to a 10 foot dish. Size really makes all the difference. ;^)

If you are going to be fixed on one satellite you might consider hunting up a (free?) 1.8m Prodelin (commercial molded) offset dish and attaching a C-band lnbf to the feed support.

Many are on roofs of car dealerships and are no longer being used, most will have a non-penetrating roof mount also if you are interested in using one of those for your setup.

Are you saying a 6foot off-set w/ C band LNB is better than a 6 foot prime focus dish?

Cheers, K

Are you saying a 6foot off-set w/ C band LNB is better than a 6 foot prime focus dish?

Cheers, K

Setup properly, I think the surface accuracy of a 6' Prodelin offset would provide a lot better signal reception than the typical WSI/Sadoun 6-panel stamped steel prime focus 6 footer, or the typical 6' mesh BUD.

Yikes! 10 footer, eh?

I've given up on this being roof mounted, so I guess I can do that.

I'd be looking to do it pretty inexpensively (under $500) - I guess just keep my eyes open on eBay and Craigslist?

Yikes! 10 footer, eh?

I'd be looking to do it pretty inexpensively (under $500) - I guess just keep my eyes open on eBay and Craigslist?

10' yes
save the up grade later most of users never happy till they get a 10'.
can you get use of a full size pick-up ?
10-12 bolts will break it down to 3 pieces.
tie that baby to the bed. place flags on the 3 sides and home it comes.
good luck

Get a good 8' or most any 10' BUD

Yikes! 10 footer, eh?
Now that you are looking for a BUD, instead of a toy...
Read through this thread: http://www.satelliteguys.us/threads/304781-more-Craigslist-dishes-for-your-perusal
The comments will give you an education.

A recent convert is KJ6EO. Last month found a 10' Winegard Pinnacle.
We talked him through getting it home, refurbishing, and installing it.
He asked a lot of beginner questions that you will have, so I recommend you find the three (?) threads he started, and read 'em.
?There are plenty of such stories on the forum.

Reactions: madmadworld
GO big or go home ;)
If you can, I know some people have restrictions on their property, HOA, wife, GF, etc.

I've got a 1.2M dish with a Cband lnb on just for giggles. I can get the PR Mux which has one HD channel and the Lesea broadcasting mux but that is about it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.