Small dish with c Band

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Roni

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Nov 8, 2006
I was wondering what the smallest dish is that can be used with c Band and I was also wondering what is on C band that is free.

The size depends on where you are in the country and what transponder you are trying to watch. Once yiou try to go below 6 feet in diameter it gets very "iffy".

I once installed a 4-foot prime focus dish for someone in Washington, DC. It could only develop clear, reliable signals when pointed at sparsely loaded belt segments. If there were overlapping transponders in adjacent satellite slots, they pretty much wiped it out.

it is possible to get C-Band on a smaller than 6 foot dish but don't expect reliable reception. Its fun for tinkering and you'll get the really strong transponders. When I mean smaller I'm talking a 1.2m dish (4 foot). I was able to get a couple transponders that were strong with a 40x30 Primestar dish

I use a 6 foot dish and get probably 99% of the signals up there. But sometimes I have to factor in my northern location (45N Minneapolis, MN) for reception

Here is what you can get on a C-Band that is up 24/7
http://www.global-cm.net/MPEGlistCBandUS.html

I have my dish aimed at G4/G16 for the nets. Once in a while I move around between AnikF1 and G11 (which is all at the top of my arc)

ice how do you go about finding the different satellites do you have a satellite finder or a birddog?

no meter...just the meter on the receiver :)
Been doing that for almost 4 years now.

Being in MN I have a lot of satellites near the top of the arc so the elevation is pretty much the same for AMC3 over to ANikF1 (within a degree or so) so if I dont know where I am, blind scan can be your friend :)

call the project: "This BUD's for you!"

the association would have a kiniption if I did that (even though I'm VP of the HOA they'd still get mad) :)
I still think you need to whip a number of the members up into a frenzy with the promise of some free C-band TV.
( all for the price of a receiver )
You could host the one BUD for 'em all! :eek:
( maybe even take up a modest collection for the cost of dish 'n cable )

Last edited:
nah. They've been pretty cool about the 6 footer (especially when the neighbor could see a couple Bucky Badger games on C-Band that they couldnt see on Dish/DirecTv) :)

set up the receiver in his garage (heated) and watched the games

that's right . i hate the little dish's

I like them both, As they both have a purpose. 4DTV for the most movie channels including both E&W HD feeds of STARZ and HBO. Then I use a little dish for ESPNHD,TNTHD,VOOM and others I can't get on 4DTV. But, it would be nice to be able to get everything that's up there on c-band.

any thing smaller than 6ft is for fun to play with. Even with a 6ft dish, you will still have problem with C-band signal because it's not 2 degs compliant.
If you have space and no problem putting a C-band dish, get a 2 degs compliant one, that is 8.5ft or larger.

I was wondering what the smallest dish is that can be used with c Band and I was also wondering what is on C band that is free.

BIG vs. small dish

any thing smaller than 6ft is for fun to play with. Even with a 6ft dish, you will still have problem with C-band signal because it's not 2 degs compliant.
If you have space and no problem putting a C-band dish, get a 2 degs compliant one, that is 8.5ft or larger.
Is this true for an older (approx 20 years old) LUXOR 10.5' mesh dish?

What do you mean by "2.0 deg compliant?

I just had a brain storm again, has anyone or do you think it's beneficial and possible to convert the 10.5 mesh dish to a fixed "Offset" dish? Do you think it would help increase the signal gain because of it not having a focal point LNB in the way of signals?

technically on the 6 footer I can pick up adjacent satellites (I can get some stuff on IA5 when on G4) so technically it isnt 2 degree compliant. But neither are the 30" dishes in some cases due to very strong signals. I can get GBN that is on AMC6 on SBS6 when i scan sometimes.

But I have no issues with my dish :)

technically on the 6 footer I can pick up adjacent satellites (I can get some stuff on IA5 when on G4) so technically it isnt 2 degree compliant. But neither are the 30" dishes in some cases due to very strong signals. I can get GBN that is on AMC6 on SBS6 when i scan sometimes.

But I have no issues with my dish :)

So you're saying; dishes that are "2 deg compliant" have a narrower beamwidth focus (within 2 deg) to minimize the overlap of signals from adjacent sats? Did I word this right? :confused:

correct.
the larger dishes will not only collect more signal but also help with rejecting adjacent satellites

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts