smallest dish size

I was just assuming that the signal was strong enough...
I seen that on those torrodial dishes the LNBs are "reverse" or something because it is reflected twice.
They should make the DISH birds as strong as the SIRIUS or XM birds. It would make installation super easy.. :)

How do you plan desroying you dish? Saw, grinder, torch???
It sounds like fun :)

If it was possible to have an lnbf point at a satellite to get a signal then you would have to use an lnbf like those found on the torodial dishes since it is reversed so that you still get the right hand polarity.

I am curious as to why they do not implement a satellite like XM or SIRIUS that would give us the video channels in addition to the audio stations. They have thought about bringing about a video service along with their audio service.

I wonder how powerful the DBS satellites would have to be in order to receive the minimal signal with only the lnbf pointed at the satellite. I know that there are more powerful satellites that are more suseptible to rain fade in which they have thought about using. I imagine that it would be harder to get the signal in by having to point an lnbf at the satellite as it would not take much to get it off of focus if it would become possible.

gopher2 said:
How do you plan desroying you dish? Saw, grinder, torch???
It sounds like fun :)
I'd love to use a plasma torch so I wouldn't warp the dish from heat, but either my neighbor's ox/propane torch or my roto-zip with a 2" jig to cut around the circumfrence exactly.

That will decrease the diameter by 4" total each time. So, 18-16 and probaby somewhere near/smaller than 12 is where it will cease to function. Will take pics as I do it...

The things we do in the name of science... LOL

Then if I wanted to push the limit, I could try to mount the new QPH-031 lnb to see if it would pick up where a stock lnb would leave off, but I don't have $90 bux to spare right now.

No

Think of a satellite as a radio station. But lets say it broadcasts at one certain frequency. Thats what the oscillator frequency is for inside your LNB. It picks up that signal, but it is TUNED to hear it like a mini radio. It draws power from your box and has electronics inside it.

I would assume a YAGI would pick up a band of frequencies, but unlike the LNB, it has no way to oscillate to match/seperate/tune frequencies so all you would get would be noise/no signal to your box.

Since this again is out of my league, I won't go further, and I have no idea what I'm talking about.. LOL Someone more technically versed might be able to better answer.

I ran into a site or it may have been mentioned in the FTA or AMSat area for using a YAGI array to use Low Earth Orbit Sats to bounce a signal...

http://members.aol.com/k5oe/tpm.htm

It wouldn't be applicable to your need, but is interesting reading.

The purpose of the LNB is to downconvert the signal to a range that can be easily carried on cheap coax cable. The limit of the cable is far below the actual signal received from the satellite.

After being block down converted (by the LNB, a low noise block downconverter) MANY signals are sent down the coax to your receiver. In a legacy system you get one polarity, in a DishPRO you get BOTH polarities stacked (there are other stacking scheme than DishPRO as well). Your receiver tunes to the downconverted frequency.

The DBS satellites send a digital MPEG2 stream that contains many digital streams. The audio and video are separate streams within the main stream. Your receiver picks out the audio and video that it needs to deliver the channel to you.There are also a lot of information streams to tell your receiver what streams make up each channel, what transponder frequency to look for to find the main transponder streams and what satellite to look for to find the transponder. Plus program guides, encryption and other data streams. There is a lot there for simple television!

JL

Small dishes

The dishes used for RVs work very well. I use one called a Kingdome. The dish and electronics is located inside a small dome. The dish can be repositioned to any of the satilites in a matter of minutes. Don't know why it would not work on a house :D

:sorry: Sorry I haven't posted about this thread and my findings or lack thereof.

I hurt my back(pinched nerve) leaving most of my right side numb and am just getting to where I can sit up and stand again for any length of time. Then last week, I got cellulitus in my right leg because I didn't feel when I whacked it on 'something' so I am laid up another week with that infection too. *sheesh* :mad:

I still plan on destroying a dish in the name of science.

:eureka I was also thinking, I could affix a wire ring over the reflector and cover the outside rim to the wire ring at an obtuse angle with foil. That would reflect the signal away from the lnb instead of focus it toward it and achieve the same result without torching/cutting it.

It would be quicker and I would not have to re-point the dish each time I modified the reflector footprint.

Just wanted to let you know I didn't forget about it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)