Smallest dish to get NASA HD?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

JosephB

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 21, 2004
Atlanta
I just moved to a house in a subdivision, and I have a fenced in back yard. I have a great view of the sky, but the covenants say that any dish bigger than a DirecTV/Dish network dish has to be in the back yard and not viewable from the street. The only thing I want to catch with C-Band is NASA HD. I have a 1M Primestar dish, is there any chance of getting a good signal with it? I'm still planning on putting up a motorized Ku dish for chasing feeds but the c-band dish for nasa will be fixed.

Hello Joseph,
I'd go with a 6' for cband, at a minimum. You might be able to rig a c-band lnbf on that primestar but I'm not sure how much signal you'd get with it. I have an old 5' solid dish that was getting good signals on AMC6 C-band, for its size , but the quality readings were almost never higher than the 30's. In good weather that'd be ok, but you really need more punch for a good stable signal for HD. A good used 6-7' dish would do it just fine.

The NASA HD feed is only up sparingly (during shuttles)...other wise it isnt there

I had decent results on a 4 footer but as turbo said a 5 foot minimum is the best. I use a 6 footer normally and it works great

Status
Please reply by conversation.