Smart Card Migration

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Christopher Miller

Original poster
Mar 31, 2015
United States
I recently found out that all G3 smart cards are being migrated over to G4 smart cards. Does anybody have any information as to when this has to be done by or who pays for that. Thanks

are the g3 cards that are in my hopper with sling?what happens when the g4 cards will there be something coming?

are the g3 cards that are in my hopper with sling?what happens when the g4 cards will there be something coming?
It's just antipiracy technology. What's coming, is less piracy. Although I really cannot imagine it being to bad currently.

I wonder if this is a new version of Nagrivision. I think they went to Nagrivision 3 when all of the FTA bin file hacking craze was started with N2. I thought that N3 had pretty well stifled that.

Lets hope the criminals have expended a great deal of time, effort and money on cracking N3. And the shift to 4 happens before they can profit from it. DISCOURAGE the bastards.

I recently found out that all G3 smart cards are being migrated over to G4 smart cards. Does anybody have any information as to when this has to be done by or who pays for that. Thanks

This is nothing new, cards have changed over the years, consumer never directly pays for it.

Nagravision is garbage. I doubt they will fully secure their system even after 2 more card swaps.

Instead of trying to go after the hackers and the card sharing guys, they need to realize that they are the problem.

Fix the problem, secure your signal and the hackers will go away.

Then all you need to worry about is account stacking at that point.

Not to bash Dish, but how was Directv able to solve this issue?

By funding a hacker to break Dish's system - and get away with it!

What makes you think Directv's system is secure? just because there is no "public" hack?
plus stacking is HUGE with directv, not so much with dish.

Won't cost you a dime, when they migrate to new cards.

And- Welcome!
I think it costs Dish millions. Good grief. Not another SM migration. I know it's necessary, but it is also a bit of a pain as I have to help others with the change. :(

What makes you think Directv's system is secure? just because there is no "public" hack?
plus stacking is HUGE with directv, not so much with dish.
But at least DTV gets SOME money, and often a top tier subscription with stacking. An MVPD see's either Noting or only the lowest possible package price while the pirate enjoys all channels: highest package (AEP) plus the add-ons (Sports Pack, Internationals, etc.) That seems a much bigger loss than the "fees only" loss situation of stacking.

I can't cite this, but I do remember reading in more than one publication questioning Nagravision's robustness when compared with competitors, and I think the point was DTV's (and a few other MVPD's) encryption from a Nagravision (not DTV's legacy encryption Digicypher) off the shelf competitor NDS (DTV is longer owned by Fox/NewCorp which also owned NDS) was stronger. This was years ago. However, is Dish stuck with a legacy with Nagravision, or can they choose any encryption available to MVPD's? After reading those articles, I was a bit surprised to see Dish go with Nagravision again, back then.

I can't cite this, but I do remember reading in more than one publication questioning Nagravision's robustness when compared with competitors, and I think the point was DTV's (and a few other MVPD's) encryption from a Nagravision (not DTV's legacy encryption Digicypher) off the shelf competitor NDS (DTV is longer owned by Fox/NewCorp which also owned NDS) was stronger. This was years ago. However, is Dish stuck with a legacy with Nagravision, or can they choose any encryption available to MVPD's? After reading those articles, I was a bit surprised to see Dish go with Nagravision again, back then.
DirecTV never used DigiCipher. DigiCipher to my knowledge has never been broken. Primestar used DigiCipher I. DirecTV has always used NDS encryption. It was the H and Hu cards that were hacked about 15-20 years ago.

DirecTV never used DigiCipher. DigiCipher to my knowledge has never been broken. Primestar used DigiCipher I. DirecTV has always used NDS encryption. It was the H and Hu cards that were hacked about 15-20 years ago.
Well, I have to say that I am pretty sure DTV used Digicipher, but we are talking about 1990's into the early 2000's, and then ONLY on its legacy SD programming, not HD. Further DTV used it proprietary DSS for the encoding, again for its LEGACY SD programming. However, from day one of HD, DTV has always used the off the shelf world wide openly available MPEG4 for encoding, world wide open DVB for modulation scheme that was NOT part of its SD services (much cheaper to design and build STB's when using widely used standards) and and the NDS solution for encryption. I believe DTV has switched encryption for its SD services to the NDS solution, but still uses DSS for encoding. I think the SD vs. HS may be where the confusion lies.

FWIW, came across data sheets confirming use in the past of Digicipher by DirecTV.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)