Smart guy, stupid installer - please HELP!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

IDontThinkSoTim

Original poster
Oct 17, 2011
Earth
Hello all and thank you in advance for any help you could provide:

I just got a new DirecTV account (yay!) and was enjoying my free NFL Sunday ticket when my son was playing with friends and knocked my dish clean off of the house. Long story short, the SWM dish is no longer functional, but I have a 5-LNB dish that I have replacd it with. I hooked up the dish, but keep getting 771A errors when I cut on my receiver. I know the dish is aimed correctly, but maybe I need alternative wiring?

I have 2 receivers - the HR24-500 HD DVR and HD receiver and purchased (although I don't use) the whole-home DVR service

Could someone explain (I'm somewhat smarter than a 5th grader) what needs to be done to make these receivers work with the new/old dish? Do I need to change any settings/wiring/equipment? I'd really like to fix this on my own and not pay the technician to come out so soon after getting in installed.

Thanks!

How do you have the replacement dish wired? Did you re-run the setup and make sure you selected the correct dish in the menu?

also you will need to install B-band converters prior to your setup as without them it will fail on 103 and 99 as the old dish requires them and the swim will not. plus you will need 3 lines 2 to the dvr and 1 to the hd.

Or you could hot swap the lnb hoping its not all busted up and see if that works

I left everything as it was when I installed the new/old dish. There is currently one coax cable running from the dish to the splitter and then they branch out from there. As far as the menu goes...I just get an error when trying to complete setup. It goes from 0% complete to 771A error.

Also, for what it's worth, I have some equipment from the older installation (I believe DVRs used to require 2 cables and the filter/converter that went between the coax and the receiver - I have several of the filters).

I realize I sound rather elementary, but just don't know the names of all of these parts or how to properly configure them (obviously).

Edit - after posting, I saw rocket69's post. I believe the B-band converters are what I have (but not currently using)

You can't be using a "splitter"; do you mean multi-switch? (photo??). You need to run more than one line out from the replacement dish.

Again, I apologize for my amateur wording. I'll explain it like I see it :)

Current set up: Dish > 1 coax cable > splitter/multi-switch type device > multiple coax cables > multiple receivers (1 cable into each)
Previous set up: Dish > multiple coax cables > filter/converter (B-Band?) for HD DVR; just coax for HD receiver > multiple receivers (2 coax cables into HD DVR, 1 into HD)

Does this clear it up? Also, if it matters for understanding what equipment was used, the previous setup was installed in 2005, and the recent one was installed last week. Clear as mud?

if you still have the original tech's number that installed you call him/hir and see if he can swap out the old lnb on the old dish with a new swm.

Do Not call direct as they will charge the original tech with defective install . yes your kids broke it put they will still find it as his fault. Ive lost $100 on a customer trying to watch ch3 and piss pore CSR running a service call just for some other tech to put it back on hdmi that im sure the 80 year + widow will forget in a day or two.

Giving what you got and whats working how can you be sure the old dish is pointed corectly?

If the lnb (eye) is not in shards form the swm dish take out the old lnb and put it in . everything should fire up if the dish is pointed and lnb is not fubar.

If the swm lnb is jacked. I would put the single line direct into a line of the main tv you want to use and use the b-band (filter) direct to the box. once the system shows 771 press menu-setup-setup then satellite and repoint dish press - to get to the next menu and it will have #1 #2 in #1 you chose the lnb / dish you have slim line 5 it has 3 cones on the lnb and slim line 3 one cone direct center. next under #2 change switch type to multiswitch and then continue and you should be up and running .

If you main is dvr make sure to chose single mode not dual.

After you get it all running go on ebay or any other location and buy a swim lnb sl3 or sl5 like on your orignal and put it all back .

Yep, if it's already wired for SWiM it's going to be difficult to convert. Unless it fell right on the LNBF it should still be good.

Hello all and thank you in advance for any help you could provide:

I just got a new DirecTV account (yay!) and was enjoying my free NFL Sunday ticket when my son was playing with friends and knocked my dish clean off of the house. Long story short, the SWM dish is no longer functional, but I have a 5-LNB dish that I have replacd it with. I hooked up the dish, but keep getting 771A errors when I cut on my receiver. I know the dish is aimed correctly, but maybe I need alternative wiring?

I have 2 receivers - the HR24-500 HD DVR and HD receiver and purchased (although I don't use) the whole-home DVR service

Could someone explain (I'm somewhat smarter than a 5th grader) what needs to be done to make these receivers work with the new/old dish? Do I need to change any settings/wiring/equipment? I'd really like to fix this on my own and not pay the technician to come out so soon after getting in installed.

Thanks!

:welcome to Satelliteguys!

If the replacement lnb isn't a swm type, then you have to remove the power inserter from the system. Also, the splitter has to be replaced by a multiswitch, a 6x8 Zinwell type, and four cables need to be run from the lnb to the multiswitch. It's probably easier to change the non-swm lnb to a swm type. Finally, if the dish was hit so hard it was taken down, you have to realign it. That's another process that we can deal with once you get the right equipment! Good luck and get back to us after you get the right stuff.

What were the kids playing with, a bazooka? If it was mounted properly there is no way you could knock it off the house without doing considerable damage to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts