Smart TV & sling

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thamac

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Dec 16, 2008
Jacksonville, Florida
Just wondering something.....

We currently have an older crt television in our patio room that we are wanting to upgrade to a flat lcd. There is no cable run out there and we only use it with digital converter for locals and a DVD player for movies.

If we purchase a "smart" tv with built in wifi, is it possible to login to the dish anywhere app and stream from our HWS to the smart TV? Do any of the smart tvs have the dish app installed?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

The DISHanywhere app would not fit the TV screen correctly. The Virtual Joey that OSU mentioned will work with 2013 LG Smart TV's, and PS3.

Thanks, I read about the LG having the Joey app. Was hopeful maybe there were more options.

One more question, are there any extra fees/costs if I were to get a LG tv and use the virtual joey feature?

So in order to use the app it cost just as much as adding a Joey....hmmmm.

Doesn't make sense to buy a certain TV with the app if I have to pay the same. I would rather just get the Joey.

Are you sure it is $7 a month just to use the app??

Reactions: TheKrell
It does make sense. You aren't paying for a Joey when using one. You are paying for having another TV outlet, another words the service it provides which DISH has to pay something for to the program providers. A Joey is but one way to get that service to that TV. The app is another. And the APP requires nothing more, meaning you can stop service anytime, if it is a Joey you have to return the Joey if you stop service.

You could do it for free after purchase of an actual slingbox . Slingbox in another room, and something like the WD Player (Similar to the Roku) in the patio room. The WD player has very good Slingplayer app built in and when streaming from within your own home the picture is excellent.

Well I'll be..,,,,

Guess I'll just get the TV I want and think about either running a cable or swapping out for wireless joeys. We don't use that room enough to justify the extra monthly fee.

Thanks for the info!!

You could also get an rf modulator and mirror one of your joeys out to that TV. Wouldn't cost a dime. Only problem is that would be SD only, not HD.

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

It does make sense. You aren't paying for a Joey when using one. You are paying for having another TV outlet, another words the service it provides which DISH has to pay something for to the program providers. A Joey is but one way to get that service to that TV. The app is another. And the APP requires nothing more, meaning you can stop service anytime, if it is a Joey you have to return the Joey if you stop service.

You could do it for free after purchase of an actual slingbox . Slingbox in another room, and something like the WD Player (Similar to the Roku) in the patio room. The WD player has very good Slingplayer app built in and when streaming from within your own home the picture is excellent.

Are you sure about Dish paying content providers extra for each additional outlet? If this was true, then why doesn't Dish charge people extra when they watch something "slinged" through Dish Anywhere? And how can 3rd party WHDVR cable card device extenders get away without additional fees from the cable company?

Are you sure about Dish paying content providers extra for each additional outlet? If this was true, then why doesn't Dish charge people extra when they watch something "slinged" through Dish Anywhere? And how can 3rd party WHDVR cable card device extenders get away without additional fees from the cable company?
I have a feeling it has to do with legal jargon in their carriage contracts they have, the has some FCC regulation behind it.
Do quote me on that but that is what I am thinking.

Easy answer. With Sling or using HDMI extenders you aren't watching an additional channel or tuner you are sharing one. Nothing is being decoded. If the program providers could prevent you from simply bringing a signal to another room they would. Next best thing for them is charging for more tuners/decoders. They also know it is an extreme uphill battle, especially in today's world to go after being able to watch what you have paid for anywhere you are.

Easy answer. With Sling or using HDMI extenders you aren't watching an additional channel or tuner you are sharing one. Nothing is being decoded. If the program providers could prevent you from simply bringing a signal to another room they would. Next best thing for them is charging for more tuners/decoders. They also know it is an extreme uphill battle, especially in today's world to go after being able to watch what you have paid for anywhere you are.

Joey doesn't have it's own tuner, so why would you have to pay a fee if you owned one?

Its a charge Dish can bill....And the reason why Dishanywhere is not available on roku/smarttv etc.

Adding additional box don't cost Dish anything. But they can bill users for providing that box. That's the reason that Dish is moving towards Hopper/Joey system from the existing VIP 722 series specifically. In Hopper/Joey they can bill for each TV...where as in a 722, 2 TV functionality is built in. Another reason why 2nd 722 is billed $17 (not sure)

Reactions: MikeD-C05
Wasn't dish the only ones that offered multiple tvs per box for the longest time? Did Directv offer multiple tvs on a single box pre genie? Did cable ever offer a box that could share recordings?

Joey doesn't have it's own tuner, so why would you have to pay a fee if you owned one?

My whole reply included a device that decodes. The Joey decodes the signal and is an integral part of the Hopper.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)