Smartbox and IP Output

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

ScooterS

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 14, 2003
We're giving some thought into installing Smartbox in a large communications center. We'd like to have the option for multi-channel TV on flat panel TVs, as well as an IP interface so that channels can be viewed on operator's PCs.

Does anyone have experience with this? I see some limited stuff on Smartbox. I don't see much of anything on the IP output.

What drives the various IP Channels? Is everything in the Smartbox or are additional components, servers, etc. needed? How does the IP user change channels. Is there some type of client or do you just switch to the IP address of the stream?

Also, I'm hearning that a fully tricked-out smartbox may be about $10-15K. Is that close? Any idea of what type of charges Dish has per endpoint??? Assume about 100- 150 potential endpoints with filling up a full channel lineup, but none of the major premium channels (Yes, CNN, etc, but no HBO).

Am I going to have to run some type of encryption, decryption if everything is on a closed in-house system with an honest assessment of users.

One more question.... Can you modulate more than 2 house channels on the system??

Thanks!!

Yes, you would be able to Modulate more than 2 House Channels. It would depend on a few things.
1. Analog or HD?
2. You would have to verify the frequency of the channels you are trying to Modulate and what is in the smartbox. There can not be a break in the channel frequency and have no interruption. Typically I have luck using channels 2-7.. But have inserted them at the end of channel lineup. For Example the with the NTSC Blades the channels would have to within a 144 MHz contiguous frequency. Channels 7-13 are higher in frequency than 14-22. You would not be able to start at channel 10 that would cause a frequency hole and the blade will not support the full number of channels.

As far as cost of the smartbox it would all depending on what exactly you are looking for. They can range from $8,000 to $20,000 and up. What would be a full channel lineup to you?

The real issue here is how many televisions?

The typical way you deploy these types of installations is via regular coax, and then use pro-idiom encryption which is typically built into the televisions.

I have installed a few dozen of the Directv Com2000 units which is similar to the Dish red box.

Both systems are capable of IP, but a lot of the customers we deal with just getting them to put out let's say $10,000 is an issue.

Coax is cheap to deploy, a $75 launch amplifier and regular splitters is all that is required.

When you go to IP, now your dealing with possible fiber, switches and other networking requirements which drives up the cost.

As far as In house channels, these are done with a zee vee digital modulator which is about $1000 per HD channel

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts