Smee! Don't talk me out of it, talk me out of it, Smee!

SoMDStargazer

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 10, 2010
Southern Maryland
In case you don't remember, that quote is loosely based from the movie Hook, with Dustin Hoffman and Robin Williams.

It kind of illustrates my request. I've been lurking here and on the other forums at the site for a little over a week now. I've been soaking up as much as I can on the pros and cons of both the Dish and Directv systems. I have to say that I'm leaning toward Direct at the time although the reported sluggishness of the HR* DVR has me a bit worried. On the other hand their upcoming innovations in the 3D, multi-room viewing and purported slightly better HD quality has me intrigued.

So what I want you to do is talk me out of it! Or don't talk me out of it! Tell me why the move to Directv would or would not be a good one.

Some background: I am committed to dropping Comcast as soon as I can. I've just had it with their lack of good HD quality and choice and service. In addition I can't stand it that they have a monopoly here in S. MD They show it by not giving a rat's you know what about customer service.

I'm not so concerned about the extra dough Directv costs over Dish as they are both cheaper than Comcast. I don't use PPV or Premium Channels so the line up from both seems to be on par for my desires. I do care about being able to access shows over my LAN and good operational features in the DVR however. As near as I can tell Directv is about overdue for a new DVR and have been reading all the rumors and sightings of one on the way, which gives me hope....

Anyway let me hear what you have to say!

Thanks
SoMDStarGazer

I had Directv for years. I'm not a big sports fan. I dropped Directv for Dish and I have not looked back. I love it! Dish has more of the HD channels I want to watch. Their DVR is by far better than Directv. I'm sure once the 3D stuff starts catching on, then Dish will rise to the ocassion in that area, too. My advise is to look at the channels you watch more of, and then choose the provider you want to commit too. Keep in mind also, the 3D content, to my understanding, will require you to buy an entirely new tv set.

You will probably want to wait for the new 922 receiver if you like LAN features. Dish DVRs are light years ahead of DirecTV DVRs. The DirecTV boxes are sluggish and just poorly made in my opinion. I have never had a receiver that overheated as much as my HR-20 did when I got DirecTV when they did their hd expansion in 2007. I like Dish much better

Dish DVRs are light years ahead of DirecTV DVRs.

This comment is a bit of a stretch. Dish does have really good DVR's but so does Directv. You could give 10 reasons that Dish's DVR's are better and 10 reasons or Directv. They are just different and focus on different things. The one thing that I will agree that the Dish DVR's are ahead by light years is the speed of the DVR but that is about all.

#1 Keep in mind that answers in this thread are coming primarily from Dish Network customers. As you can see, many have had both DirecTV and Dish at one point or another. Their reasons for switching are their own.

#2 Make your decision based on what's available NOW. Not what someone's cousin's uncle thinks MIGHT be available at some undefined point in the future. All speculation in regard to the future of TV is hogwash until it actually happens.

I would wait to decide once the E fee issue is resolved.

hey whats a few weeks tops? and more likely by the retailer chat in a few days?

It all boils down to just one thing.

If you are a big sports fan? Go with direct. They have many more HD broadcast of sporting events in HD.
If you like Entertainment in HD like movies and shows?, go with Dish.

As for the customer service? Direct CSR sucks.

I have both systems at the moment.
Direct at a lake house and Dish at home.

My 2 biggest gripes with Direct is fees and all the religious channels.

My biggest gripe with Dish is they misrepresent what is and isn't HD. (Don't mark a channel as HD if they don't show HD programming)
With the new pricing adjustments coming, I can't say if dish will be cheaper or not. They will most likely be similar.

In the end it all boils down to the sports factor.

My biggest gripe with Dish is they misrepresent what is and isn't HD. (Don't mark a channel as HD if they don't show HD programming)
Since when is Dish is responsible for the contexts of any channel.:confused:

In the end it all boils down to the sports factor.
But this I agree with. If you don't want any of those over priced sports packages stay away from D*. Also when those over priced sports packages are on it affect the picture on all the other channels.:eek:

stop trying to talk the troll out of his decision. and grown man who quotes a peterpan movie leaves me with a creepy michael jackson kinda feeling anyways.

Don't be a d***head. Pinhead.

You don't know me and I've said nothing to you to insult me and I will not stand for it. If you want a flame war take your best shot. But you better learn to spell and punctuate first.

I am not a troll and as for my taste in movies, it's my own business. Not yours. And MJ was better than you could ever hope to be in your miserable little life. Still quoting PP: "So go take a long walk off a short gangplank and let me learn what I'm trying to learn why don't ya?"

Folks,

Thanks for all the constructive advice so far. It has been very useful to me. I have one more question:

I'm about ready to place an order for the D* (Dish network) system. I don't care about the sports packages and that video posted today did a good job of illustrating the advanced nature of the D* tech.

I have 3 HD TVs and 1 SD TV.

I'm thinking of getting 1 DuoDVR and 2 SoloHD players; I've also noticed that you can buy the VIP 222k on eBay for less than $200. I've also read about the risks inherent in buying off eBay but my question is. If I do decide I want to own my equipment after signing on with D*, will I be able to return it to purchase new or replacement equipment in the future? If I decide to purchase my own equipment I guess the best source would be an authorized dealer?

Again thanks for the excellent info.

SoMDStargazer

Last edited:
Clarification

I'm about ready to place an order for the D* system. I don't care about the sports packages and that video posted today did a good job of illustrating the advanced nature of the D* tech.

I have 3 HD TVs and 1 SD TV.

I'm thinking of getting 1 DuoDVR and 2 SoloHD players; I've also noticed that you can buy the VIP 222k on eBay for less than $200. I've also read about the risks inherent in buying off eBay but my question is. If I do decide I want to own my equipment after signing on with D*, will I be able to return it to purchase new or replacement equipment in the future? If I decide to purchase my own equipment I guess the best source would be an authorized dealer?

Again thanks for the excellent info.

SoMDStargazer

I want to clarify & I can understand your confusionm since you are new. But D* is for Directv & E* is for Dish (Echosphere owner of dish). Glad we helped you. :D

I've been there

stop trying to talk the troll out of his decision. and grown man who quotes a peterpan movie leaves me with a creepy michael jackson kinda feeling anyways.

This guy isn't a troll. I've been in your place due to a name that some one used and it sounded like they were coming just to shoot down things. :cool:

Since when is Dish is responsible for the contexts of any channel.:confused:

Assuming you mean content, not contexts...the specific issue is Centric and Logo. They are sold as HD-Only channels, but the channel provider does not yet provide an HD feed at all.

They also did the same thing with WFN, but they now have a true HD feed. I would assume the same thing will eventually happen with Centric and Logo, but for now, they are taking an SD feed and selling it only to HD customers.

One could argue that it's still the channel owners fault for allowing (or demanding?) their SD channels to be sold as HD before they were prepared to provide a feed. Or perhaps they told DISH it would be ready by Fall and then failed.

BTW, I haven't had DISH in about a month and a half, so apologies if this is no longer the case.

And the winner is.....

Just wanted to let you guys know I went with E* today. Took the 2 year contract and 2 Single HD rcvrs and 1 dual HD DVR rcvr and the Classic Gold 250 plus extra HD. Also found a coupon for extra $5 off per month.

The install is scheduled for this Saturaday am. I think I made the right call based on all the good ifon available on this awesome site. So much knowledge here!

Thanks to all who provided info to help me decide. Thanks to the owners for making this resource available.

You'll find me on the Dish Network forums and any of the cutting edge sections as I tend to push my tech to the limits. (this is my kung-fu!).

Ciao
SoMDStarGazer

So you are saying the only importance is a good picture and DVR? Dish all the way then. I just dumped Directv 6 months early in contract because 18months of dealing with that insanely slow DVR was enough. dish DVR is much more intuitive as well. Picture looks the same to me and directv would always "hiccup" on HD channels. Two different locations with perfectly tuned dishes. So far the only thing I see better with direct is if you want NFL Sunday ticket or a MUCH larger on demand selection. I'm saving $40/mo for the same channels for the first year so its only a small sacrifice for me.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts