Smithsonian Channel on dish

I see that but I only have shows in the guide until 5:00PM then "No Info Available". My guide will have to update.

Edit: Oh hell, it's in HD! ALLEN....ALLEN!

Maybe you meant "It's in SD"? At least, that's what I'm seeing in my guide, and it looks like it's only available for Top 250 subscribers. :( Not even a free preview. Bummer.

hey guys i noticed to i just wonder what dish will add in terms of other hd channels this month we will hear everything about 4k next month

The guide reads 367 over SMITH in front of large grey HD. The program on now is in SD however.

IMG_0005.jpg

Guess it only shows as HD for those who already have it as a subscription, 'coz here's what I'm seeing. Seems like it would sure would be more incentive to add it if non-subscribers knew it wasn't SD! Glad to know it is, tho' - I'll be reconsidering my package.

Attachments

• smithsonian.jpg
    smithsonian.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 364
Guess it only shows as HD for those who already have it as a subscription, 'coz here's what I'm seeing. Seems like it would sure would be more incentive to add it if non-subscribers knew it wasn't SD! Glad to know it is, tho' - I'll be reconsidering my package.
What package is it going to be in?

Guess it only shows as HD for those who already have it as a subscription, 'coz here's what I'm seeing.

That's the way it's always has worked on the DISH EPG; if there are unsubbed channels in your guide that have an SD & HD feed, you will NOT see the HD channel at it's remapped place. (same ch as SD) But if you go up to ch 9620, which is the unmapped HD ch, you will (also) see it unsubbed in your guide.
If you have unsubbed premiums, it works the very same way.

My guide says HD and the picture looks like 1080P to me.
How do you tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i by eyeballing?

As I said before, we had the channel and weren't particularly sorry to see it go. As far as I can tell, they haven't showed us anything new yet. The current show is a four year old documentary on a 1988 plane accident. The next show on the schedule is episode 48 of 58. They stopped putting production dates or debut dates on the shows a couple of years ago.

How do you tell the difference between 1080p and 1080i by eyeballing?
Bluray 1080P does have a "deeper" look to it especially during motion scenes, subtle but when I change my BR player from 1080P to 1080I you can see the difference. Colors are just little more vivid, and it has an extremely slight "3D" look to it for lack of a better term, more defined. On DISH I wouldn't call it a 1080I/P difference, but I have always thought HBO has a better PQ than some other HD channels. Guessing he means that about Smithsonian.

Just noticed this above my movie channels last night. I'm glad that Smithsonian is on Dish now. I was at my son's house over Thanksgiving, and he has the channel on Verizon. I watched several shows while I was there.

Bluray 1080P does have a "deeper" look to it especially during motion scenes, subtle but when I change my BR player from 1080P to 1080I you can see the difference. Colors are just little more vivid, and it has an extremely slight "3D" look to it for lack of a better term, more defined. On DISH I wouldn't call it a 1080I/P difference, but I have always thought HBO has a better PQ than some other HD channels. Guessing he means that about Smithsonian.

That's what I have been saying,except it does not look as good as Blu ray the only picture that looks as good as Bluray is Bluray because it's 1080p/24.

The picture looks like 1080p/60 and that's my Dish receiver set at 720p screen resolution and then my 4K UHDTV's spatial scaling engine upconverts it to 4K.:oldsmile2

And that's different from Discovery or National Geographic how? there are reruns even on the networks...
It comes down to a matter of percentages. If Smithsonian brings in 100 hours a year of new programming, most will exhaust that in a few months. Once that's over, it is on to hoping for new content next year.

If Discovery and NG aren't doing any better, they are no better and should face similar scrutiny. The problem with Discovery is that it is part of a big bundle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)