Smithsonian Channel on dish

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
That's what I have been saying,except it does not look as good as Blu ray the only picture that looks as good as Bluray is Bluray because it's 1080p/24.

The picture looks like 1080p/60 and that's my Dish receiver set at 720p screen resolution and then my 4K UHDTV's spatial scaling engine upconverts it to 4K.:oldsmile2
So you take Smithsonian's 1080i feed. Downconvert it to 720p. Then let your TV scale it to 4k?

What kool-aid are you drinking?

Reactions: gregleg and Troch77
So you take Smithsonian's 1080i feed. Downconvert it to 720p. Then let your TV scale it to 4k?

It looks better on my Vizio 4K UHDTV.

How does it look on your 4K UHDTV?

It looks better on my Vizio 4K UHDTV.

How does it look on your 4K UHDTV?
So I just flipped on some Aerial America.

Toggled 1080i to 720p quite a bit.

Sat really close to my tv so I could see individual pixels.

Took some up close pictures of the exact same frame, so I could do a side by side to see if either looked different res wise.

Conclusion:

It looks like highly compressed interlaced content with an indiscernible resolution.

Also Vizio are known to display interlaced content poorly on some new sets. You may have one of those, so what you are seeing could be legit. But that doesn't mean your TV is awesome at scaling, it means its poor at interlaced content.

So I just flipped on some Aerial America.

Toggled 1080i to 720p quite a bit.

Sat really close to my tv so I could see individual pixels.

Took some up close pictures of the exact same frame, so I could do a side by side to see if either looked different res wise.

Conclusion:

It looks like highly compressed interlaced content with an indiscernible resolution.

Also Vizio are known to display interlaced content poorly on some new sets. You may have one of those, so what you are seeing could be legit. But that doesn't mean your TV is awesome at scaling, it means its poor at interlaced content.

That could be a good possibility I believe that Rtings.com also said that about the Vizio,then there are those who say that Dish is sending down Dish Lite which is 1440x1080i and that the 720p channels are the only ones sent down in full resolution,

like ESPN,ABC,Fox.

I only posted that to have other 4K UHDTV owner's to check and see which was better on their 4K UHDTV,for me with the Vizio it's 720p resolution setting that looks the best but that's only on my 4K UHDTV seen through my eyes.

For someone else's eyes on a different manufactured 4K UHDTV it maybe 1080i.

I can concede that because it's all what another person's eyes see,I will never argue that point.:oldsmile2

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts