Smithsonian HD dropped and replaced with Crime & Investigation HD

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
...Now let's say there's a million HD subscribers. They add all 7 channels to all HD packages, and raise the price $3. That's only a 50 cent profit, but times one million...that's $500,000...

First off let's not confuse the 2/1 price increase with this HD Platinum deal.

Secondly, if these few channels are to be included in the general packages, a different type of agreement must be re-negotiated, and who knows they might be doing so right now.

Now if these channels are to be part of the general packs, the fees paid for each of these channels will be far less than now, simple economy of scale.

Using your above scenario, if E* is paying a total of $2.50/mo. for these few HD channels, E* will pay maybe $0.50/mo. total to include them in the other packages, and not have to raise the prices of the other packages at all. Becasue it is unfair to ask those who do not want these few channels to pay for those who do want them.

I think E* had to raise prices on the current subs to pay for the offers to the new subs and apparently to some of the current subs, myself excluded. I still don't have a single offer showing. I may have to go to D* just to feel wanted.

First off let's not confuse the 2/1 price increase with this HD Platinum deal.

Where did I ever mention the price increase? This is all hypothetical.

Secondly, if these few channels are to be included in the general packages, a different type of agreement must be re-negotiated, and who knows they might be doing so right now.

Obviously. It wouldn't make sense for them to be negotiating NOW, considering they essentially launched new packages today (Not technically, but TurboHD is now available to everyone and has a huge increase because it will soon contain much more.) If they were going to make this change, they would have already done it. Again..."hypothetical"

Now if these channels are to be part of the general packs, the fees paid for each of these channels will be far less than now, simple economy of scale.

Using your above scenario, if E* is paying a total of $2.50/mo. for these few HD channels, E* will pay maybe $0.50/mo. total to include them in the other packages, and not have to raise the prices of the other packages at all.

Possibly. It would depend on the negotiations. I didn't change the amount just to demonstrate that a smaller profit margin could be more profitable when scaled up. I think assuming an 80% cut is a bit much, even though the actual channels would be making more money under the same hypothetical numbers.

Obviously, your scenario is more appealing, but I don't know if it's more realistic.

Becasue it is unfair to ask those who do not want these few channels to pay for those who do want them.

Because DISH (and the business in general) is all about "fairness". :rolleyes:

The fact is, that's how the business works. A huge chunk of my bill goes to ESPN, which I do not watch. Huge corporations use their popular channels to force us all to pay for other channels most of us don't watch. That's how niche programming works. If it didn't work that way, we'd still have 37 channel cable.

No matter what your 5 favorite channels are, I bet 3 of them wouldn't exist if it wasn't for forcing everyone to pay for it.

Now, the case of the Platinum channels is particularly odd. A year or so ago, everyone (with HD) WAS forced to pay for these channels...well, 3 or 4 of them. In the case of HDNet Movies, it was in the ORIGINAL HD Pack.

DISH split the Platinum channels off, essentially, to punish Voom. Or at least, that's how it appears now. At the time, it seemed like a decent deal for everyone. I had no problem continuing to pay the same amount to keep these 20 or so channels, and others had the option to drop them.

(That is VERY unusual in this business...making a large chunk of your basic channels optional. It usually goes the other way.)

When Voom was pulled it was replaced by three relatively inexpensive channels. Those channels were probably just happy to have ANY carriage. Another channel...NHL...had been added in the inbetween time. But the other three channels got the shaft. They went from being in all HD packages to being in an overpriced, optional package in just a few months.

I'm really surprised there weren't any lawsuits from those channels over it. At the time, I sent an e-mail to Mark Cuban, telling him that I loved HDNet Movies, but I could no longer subscribe to it because DISH was now overcharging for it and presumably putting the difference in their own pockets. I got an e-mail back (from a lackey, I'm sure, but it did come from his address) that essentially said that they were looking into their options against DISH.

I assume that HDNET, Universal, and the others either signed a REALLY lousy agreement that they couldn't challenge, or they got a big fee increase to shut them up. But a big fee won't help if people keep dropping the package.

If they had either taken the money they were saving on Voom and added some more channels, or cut the price a few bucks, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. The fact they are pulling one for another is adding insult to injury for the Platinum subscribers, whether or not they actually watched Smithsonian. I understand that in the basic packages, every penny counts to try to keep costs down. But in the case of the platinum package, they are pocketing a huge profit and everyone knows it. The nickle and dime crap just doesn't fly in this case.

Last edited:
I must have been one of the few customers who actually watched Smithsonian HD, and I thought it was excellent. It was original programming and the PQ was excellent. I really hate that it is gone!

I'm another one. Charlie does it again. But then EquatorHD was my
favorite. Of what's left I liked Smithsonian best. Wish History International
were in HD.

Equator had two months worth of programming before it began repeating. Smithsonian had two weeks worth of programming and then started showing reruns. At least C&I starts with reruns.

Equator had two months worth of programming before it began repeating. Smithsonian had two weeks worth of programming and then started showing reruns. At least C&I starts with reruns.

I actually enjoyed the repeats on those channels. Not necessarily so
on most other channels.

I was a Dish subscriber since 96 and now just recently moved to U-verse. This is exactly the reason why I left. With the price increases and the lack of HD commitment from Good Ol' Charlie I have had no reason to stay. So Long Charlie.

Smithsonian still on FiOS

And will stay there because they have amazing bandwidth FOREVER!!!!
:)

Oh, BTW, Expressvu has REMOVED the 2 VOOM channels they had.

I will miss TreasureHD and EquatorHD

I had been trying to decide whether to keep Platinum or not. I do watch HDNet Movies, and some Universal. But dropping a real HD channel for semi-HD reruns of shows I didn't want to watch the first time around pushed it over the edge. Just canceled Platinum online. I can use the extra $10 to offset my Netflix sub.

Good advice re: the Netflix offset, especially if NBATV is gotten via the AEP.

Nothing ''good'' lasts forever

What a shame....

I thought that those versions of Voom were owned by Hi Fedelity?

Oh welll....I guess nothing good lasts forever...sigh :(

I'm another one. Charlie does it again. But then EquatorHD was my
favorite. Of what's left I liked Smithsonian best. Wish History International
were in HD.

Me too! I would say I watched it several times a week, they had great HD content and PQ was better than most!

All,
Then nobody has the real reason why Smithsonian was taken off Dish Network?
No, I don't know either. It was one of my favorite channels though. I liked Equator also but didn't
see it very long.

Is this confirmed? Rush, Equator, Treasure (and even Oasis) are still showing on Bell's website.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts