SNH_031 LNB Experience

Status
Please reply by conversation.

kb2kir

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 18, 2007
Norwich, NY
This has probably been said before, but I felt the need to share it with you.
I received my SNH-031 LNB yesterday evening.
I took it home and set it up on my General instruments 42x51 in. offset fed dish fixed on G10r.
I am impressed! In a time when you get what you pay for, this unit is truly worth every penny.

Before changing to the SNH-031, I was using a $7.00 (new) no-brand unit.
This yielded quality readings on my CS-6000 of 66% on the weaker x-ponders. When the weather turned sour, I lost the picture completely.
After the change to the SNH-031, the x-ponders that were 66% are now 69-71%!!

The stronger ones that were 70% are now 87-90% !!
I will be buying more of these!!!
:)

In our review section, I read about the SNH-031 and the 36" Fortec dish (both being hotter than more common equipment, at the time).
And I bought 'em.
That was several years ago.
I thought I made the right decision, and I try to encourage others to get big dishes and hot LNBs...
... even though other combinations often work for -average- situations.

Since my experience with the SNH-031 is much different than your, I am deciding to post.

I have tried the SNH-031 on three dishes that I have owned over the last two years.

My no name brand LNB and Fortec LNB has always out preformed the SNH-031.

With the SNH-031 my signal quality is always lower by about 5 - 10 % and when I use my motor to move to a satellite the signal quality on the transponder or channel I have selected takes about 5 - 10 seconds to show up.

When I looked at the 5 year warranty on the website it does not look like the end user can send it in, I bought mine from EBay so I can not send it to them.

He still made me want one, so I think I will try to call the PSB guy monday, found his website from the old 'review' thread. Since i"ve got 3 diff types of primestar dishes I believe it would benefit me to test on all of them.

Turbosat:
As you know from our previous correspondence, I am rather new to FTA. I am a HAM, a pilot, (self taught) and repair automobiles for a living. While this does not make me smarter than the average bear, I have a sense for the order of things mechanical.
2 months ago, I didn't know what FTA was, let alone aimed a dish. I am using an eliptical primestar with the original Hughes LNB. I also have a Direcway dish using the original feed system, I just removed the transmitter from the arm. The SNH-031 is on the General Instruments dish you and I discussed in earlier threads. I found the sweet spot for this thing 33.5 inch focal point, 24deg. offset . Which means there is almost no elevation on G10r (I know where there are more of these) !!!
I have more or less compared 2 LNBs as any amateur would. In all fairness, I compared a bottom of the line unit to one upscale.
From my point of view, the money I spent on this thing was the best FTA money I've spent thus far.
You have been at this a lot longer than I have, and I am willing to bet you too will notice a difference. I have used up my "allowance" for this month, so I'll have to wait a few weeks to get one for one of the other dishes.

qwert1515: Sorry to hear about your trouble, It IS frustrating to spend money on something, only to find it doesn't perform well. I don't own a motorized dish, I use 6 fixed dishes, so that may have some bearing on our vastly different outcomes.

The only problem I have with the SNH-031 is the fact that its a universal LNBF. Due to 22k switching and analog tuning accuracy, I prefer to use standard LNBFs, thus the QPH-031 which is mounted to my motorized 36" :)

I am in fringe area(PAS 10 indian ocean) where and i tried to replace my cheap eurostar 0.3dB with that SNH-031. There was no improvement . I receive 12577 V, 12682 H, 12722V and 12722H(High band). It did not lock to the 12722H.Signal strength for this tp is comparable to the 12682H on the Eurostar. I read many good reports on this lnb. may be it is ok with better signal. I check another cheap lnb Engel 0.2dB(spanish). I was laughing at the 0.2 dB before testing. but now I laugh no more it outperformed even my Eurostar.I would laugh no more at cheap LNB. i would like to know by how much invacom outperform cheaper ones.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)