Snow, lost 101 but not 119

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

timmy1376

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 20, 2004
Manhattan, KS
So it is snowing here pretty good, no snow on the dish really, but enough in the air we lost all the channels except locals. Our locals are on 119. Same thing happens when it rains hard. Does that mean a poorly aimed dish? or is the ones on 119 just stronger??

yeah, its going to get bad quick! we are to get 4-8 tommorow, and another 4-8 tommorow night, I keep reading about New york though and dont feel so bad

Gee even in north Texas we have a forcast of snow flurries for Wed. I don't think we will lose any channels though.
timmy 1376 what do you have for signal strengths on a sunny day on 101? Just snow in the air not on the dish usually won't cause an outage.

We got a foot a couple weeks ago, heavy lake effect. Never lost a signal, even on KA sats. Key is a very peaked dish. I was losing signal earlier in the season but during a nice sunny day I completely re-peaked the dish and now I haven't lost a signal since other then a bad ice storm. Warm water took care of that. :D

so far so good, my signal runs anywhere from 94-98 on the 110, and 119, and I get 90-91 on all other sats, I would say I am pretty dialed in so i dont think a signal loss is possible,also timmy if you could post your usual signal strengths that would help.

edit: its really picked up snowing here and I am still good on signal, will let you know as I am sure the wife will call me.

I will look at the levels tonight and post. I looked at the dish last night, no snow on it, so it had to be snow in the air right? Or clouds.

Real heavy wet snow clouds act similar to thunderstorms and can cause "rain" fade in the extreme. Heavey slushy snow stuck on the dish itself can also cause a signal issue. Just regular old snow though can be a couple inches deep on the dish and not effect signals much if at all.

We're having a blizzard right now 2-3 inches an hour but the DirecTV is running strong. I'm sure later when the winds pick up it will more than likely go out...we're getting more than 30 inches of snow. I don't see DirecTV surviving that lol

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)