Snow Snow Snow!!!

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

rvrman

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jan 13, 2009
Cincinnaati OH
I am assuming we lost a lot of channels due to this snow storm. Dish and LNB are clear. Anybody else out in Cincinnati Ohio. This will be the first outage since we got on the Eastern Arc. Could be in for a long night.

I'm in Dayton (or just south of it) and lost 110, but 119 and 129 are fine (but a weaker signal than normal on 119)

Question if Dish adds HD next week and my Dish is covered in snow
with no signal, would I have to wait tell the next day for the new
channels to get to my Dish Network receivers?

Can't get signal can't get channel

Question if Dish adds HD next week and my Dish is covered in snow
with no signal, would I have to wait tell the next day for the new
channels to get to my Dish Network receivers?

Simple if you can get a signal then you won't get a new channel.

Note: The storm itself is not likely blocking your reception. Check your dish itself, and if it's covered in snow you need to wipe it off to regain reception. If its on the roof, you can also try spraying it off with a hose if it's not too cold out. These warmer weather storms with the heavy/wet snow are the worst since it clings so well to everything - including your dish.

I am not getting anything here in St. Louis with an EA dish! :( Actually I am getting my OTA and E* provided locals -- but nothing else. When I run the test I get three red boxes with white Xs in them instead of the normal green boxes. I never had issues like this through all the years I was with D*. Needless to say I am VERY upset! I was happy with the switch to E* -- that I made a year ago tomorrow -- but if E* cannot fix this from happening then I will have no choice but to leave them.

FYI, my dish is on the room two stories up so I have no access to it. And like I said, D* equipment never had this kind of issue with snow -- so IMO E* needs to fix it and fast!

My system crashed twice tonight dshes covered with ice and snow. We had lightning too, and multiple power bumps:(

Wierdly my one 722 froze up totally, even after cleaning off dishes, it stalled forever on aquiring sat screen.

I tried everything, Finally disconnected sat leads, ran check switch to clear matrix, connected sat rebooted, ran switch test again.

Its back, but geez. it lives on a DP 34 switch 3 inputs 4 outputs........

My other 722 is on a quad, it came back ok.

I have 2 seperate systems a leftover of the old days of constant problems

I am not getting anything here in St. Louis with an EA dish! :( Actually I am getting my OTA and E* provided locals -- but nothing else. When I run the test I get three red boxes with white Xs in them instead of the normal green boxes. I never had issues like this through all the years I was with D*. Needless to say I am VERY upset! I was happy with the switch to E* -- that I made a year ago tomorrow -- but if E* cannot fix this from happening then I will have no choice but to leave them.

FYI, my dish is on the room two stories up so I have no access to it. And like I said, D* equipment never had this kind of issue with snow -- so IMO E* needs to fix it and fast!

Thats why I like dishes down low. With wet stick snow ANY dish provider can be effected:( Years asgo this kinda snow was very rare, now its common:(

You can get a dish heater for such weather, to melt the snow on the dish......

We had plenty of instances of wet sticky snow in the past when I had D* and it didn't have and dish heater -- and I never had this issue. So from my point of view, there seems to be something substandard with my leased E* equipment, their installation, or their sat signals.

This type of snow will mess with any sat provider.

This type of snow will mess with any sat provider.
I keep hearing that, but I still find it hard to believe since I had D* for 7 years and we had plenty of snows just like this here in STL and I never had this issue. We aren't due to see the sun until Sunday so I'm worried I'll be without all day & night tomorrow. I've already missed two movies I was recording tonight and am setup to record two more tomorrow -- and my penny Cinemax runs out in just a few days. :mad:

I've been a Dish customer for over 8 years with 61.5/110/119, and I've almost never seen it this bad. I was successfully watching HD off 61.5 for a few hours this evening, but now only my spotbeams are making it through. At least OTA is still there!

I found another E* user in STL who says all his stations are fine. Hmmmm....

TheKrell,
Well, Virginia is getting it A LOT worse than St. Louis. If I lived there I could understand the outage -- but we maybe have an inch or two on the ground (so this is a fairly weak storm even for STL).

Last edited:
I just ran a Check Switch, but it came back saying it found fewer sats so I canceled instead of saving. When I look at the Point Dish screen my 61.5 shows between 50-65 and is green. Both 72 and 77 cannot even lock therefore show nothing. When I do System Info it stills shows all three sats as red with a white X -- even 61.5 that shows a good signal on the Point Dish page. So the 722 is giving me conflicting info...and I still have virtually no programming. :(

I found another E* user in STL who says all his stations are fine. Hmmmm....

TheKrell,
Well, Virginia is getting it A LOT worse than St. Louis. If I lived there I could understand the outage -- but we maybe have an inch or two on the ground (so this is a fairly weak storm even for STL).

I am in Virginia and we are getting a lot of snow. My Dish has been down for a while, now. Hope it comes back soon. Luckily, I rarely have this issue.

When I do System Info it stills shows all three sats as red with a white X -- even 61.5 that shows a good signal on the Point Dish page.
Obviously that page is using a different transponder or transponders than the one on which you found a good signal. The last time I ran that test this evening, I saw a red box w/white X on 119 and a yellow box on 110 and 61.5. (I never before saw boxes with yellow.)

Edit: Oh oh, more bad news. It's never going above freezing this weekend.

So far we have gotten about 12 inches and I have had to go squirt my dishes off twice.
One's on the roof and ones on the ground.

Hint!!
Keep the hose in a warm place. I had to thaw mine out in the hot tub and when I finished I cleaned it up and put it in the laundry room..

This is the nasty snow storm I have seen in many, many years.
It's a very wet, sticky, heavy snow. Limbs are dropping out of the tree's as if we were having an ice storm.

Note: The storm itself is not likely blocking your reception. Check your dish itself, and if it's covered in snow you need to wipe it off to regain reception. If its on the roof, you can also try spraying it off with a hose if it's not too cold out. These warmer weather storms with the heavy/wet snow are the worst since it clings so well to everything - including your dish.

Like I said when I started this thread: Dish and LNB are clean. Going to the Eastern Arc has my dish with it's back to the weather. I checked multiple times. It's only 10' up. We lost the rest of the channels shortly after my 1st post . Went OTA to save the night. 4am Dish still out and I could not get guide to come up to change to OTA. That really s*cked. However, the skies have lightened, and the satellite Gods have cast their signal upon us once again. All hail the signal! All hail the signal!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)