Snow When Changing Channels via DVI

DarrellP

I Think, therefore, I am.
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Nov 6, 2003
Salem, OR
The latest issue of The Perfect Vision has the explanation for this. I know a lot of people here have reported having snow while changing channels and it's not due to a change in resolution that some of us see, here's what they said:

Due to the implementation of HDMI over DVI, some HD displays lose the sync signal when a channel is changed, thus "snow" is displayed while the display and Voom stb resync the HDMI handshake.

I hope this clears up the question of snow while channel changing. :)

Wait, HDMI or HDCP? You probably meant HDCP. VOOM does not support HDMI.

I always thought it was HDCP-related. I guess now it's confirmed!
It looks like the synchranization is always lost when switching from one resolution to another, that's why we are always getting snow when switching from one resolution to another...

Which brings another question. If the problem is caused by the way HDCP works, does it mean that the snow problem cannot be fixed at all?

OOPS! You're right, I meant HDCP. My BAAAAAAAD!! I read too many of these damn trade rags, too many terms running around in my head, must stop, must stop, aaaaaaaaarghhh!

With my PJ, I don't experience snow when I switch to the same resolution, only when changing resolution, no big deal.

so is this exactly why.....I get that, my DVI out on the voom box having trouble with my HDMI input on the tv......

I definetly agree its NOT the resolutions changing.....cause sometimes I know for sure it didnt change.....yet I still get the snow.

I bought a 6ft dvi/hdmi cable. I may have to move my dvd player lower on my rach and move voom up and get a 9ft cable....ugggg shoulda got the longer dvi/hdmi cable if I dont use it for voom and use it on my dvb318!

HDCP being the protocol, right? hdmi simply being the connection method...

so what your saying is, dont worry about the cable....its not gonna make a bit of diff, if i use hte dvi out for now...ill be running into this :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts