Snow

Status
Please reply by conversation.

lacubs

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 9, 2007
Erie, Pa
yesterday we got a tiny snow fall and its knocked out all HD channels except for my local HD channels can the first knocked out all HD channels because the dish isn't use to the snow or something else?

Make sure the dish is optimally peaked. The signals from those birds can be a bit less for giving. Are you talking about snow fall or snow accumulated on the dish knocked them out? If you are talking about accumulation on the dish, you can get a cover to keep it clean. We have had two fairly decent snows (and many rains) here, and I have only lost signals when hail was involved; none for just snowfall. Would check signal strengths.

Last edited:
There are times when I would have over a foot of snow piled on my Dish (it usually gets to a foot before it sheds off) and the signal still comes in fine.

Make sure the dish is optimally peaked.I have only lost signals when hail was involved; none for just snowfall. Would check signal strengths.

I think that you mean sleet and not hail. I have found that aquapel helps on the Dish when it comes to snow and rain fade

I think that you mean sleet and not hail. I have found that aquapel helps on the Dish when it comes to snow and rain fade

WHAT? No I meant hail; I haven't had any sleet to make any judgment, although both being ice formations, it should be the same result.. Coatings on the dish do not alter "precipitation" fade; as this is signal interference between the SAT and the dish reflector; coatings simply bead or repel build-up on said reflector and/or LNB array; they can't alter signal refraction.

Last edited:
WHAT? No I meant hail; I haven't had any sleet to make any judgment, although both being ice formations, it should be the same result.. Coatings on the dish do not alter "precipitation" fade; as this is signal interference between the SAT and the dish reflector; coatings simply bead or repel build-up on said reflector and/or LNB array; they can't alter signal refraction.
So you have seen lots of severe weather ? Sleet is very common while hail unless you are a storm chaser is rare and for some reason aquapel does seem to help with the fade issues :D

had 5 inches of snow on the dish last Saturday and everything worked fine

as noted, make sure the dish is peaked properly

So you have seen lots of severe weather ? Sleet is very common while hail unless you are a storm chaser is rare and for some reason aquapel does seem to help with the fade issues :D

Hail; yep... as in the ice falling out of the spring or summer sky during a severe thunderstorm outbreak. LOL, too funny; numerous normal folk see hail all the time; you don't need to be a storm chaser to see hail; great one!

Coatings have been scientifically tested against SAT refraction / fade and don't help. Perception though is another matter. If you think it works, then that's all that matters.

We had some wet, heavy snow Friday morning. When I went to turn on the TV & the sat. receiver, there was a "lost satellite signal" message. The dish had a build-up of about two inches of wet snow, two passes with a broom and all is well.

Only the second time in the past twelve years that I've had to remove snow due to reception issue, not bad.

Its generally the Heavy Wet snow , like you say that will eventually knock it out.

Like you said, dust it off and move on !

charper1 - my signal strengths did go into 30s for like 3hrs but after that its been normal 95+ my brother was just over and he said his dish did the same thing so i feel much better now!

I had nickel sized hail just last week, didn't lose signal though.

When you lose signal, it generally due to atmospheric conditions, storm coming thru or in the area between the Dish and the Sat 22.000 miles away, not the dish itself, unless you have a wet snow build up.

yep, dish applications ONLY work to help control whats actually on the dish and LNB array; not what happens in the atmosphere. LOL

Status
Please reply by conversation.