Snowfall in Dixie

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tron

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 6, 2005
Metro New Orleans, LA
The weather reports claimed a good chance of snow during the early morning hours of December 11th, but I didn't give it much thought. Usually, a forecast of snow in New Orleans means a 'dusting' at the very most, but more often than not, just a few small flakes mixed in with rain. This time was different.

About 8:00 a.m. or so, I looked out of the window and noticed a flake or two mixed in with the rain. "O.K.", I thought, "That's the snow they were talking about." Within 15 minutes, the rain had stopped, but the snow was coming down HARD... Large, wet flakes were falling everywhere, and before long, an accumulation began to form.

Now, in New Orleans, this is beyond rare. It is, for many, a once-in-a-lifetime treat. The phone began to ring. Each of my friends called to ask if I was up and aware of the snow. Finally, I called one friend that had been asleep to notify her of the snow. Reaction to snow around here is about equal to the reaction one would expect from a SatelliteGuy if someone pulled up with a 12-foot Paraclipse in perfect condition and left it on the lawn :)

I grabbed my HD camcorder and ran outside, shooting nearly 2 hours of video around Metairie. Here are some HD vidcaps of the dish farm, with its once-in-a-lifetime 'Winter Wonderland' look ;) The snow killed the signal, of course, until it melted away (around noon or so after the last flurries had stopped and the temps warmed up)...

Attachments

• IMG_0107.JPG
    IMG_0107.JPG
    174.4 KB · Views: 166
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_0116.JPG
    IMG_0116.JPG
    183.4 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    458.8 KB · Views: 162
  • IMG_0112.JPG
    IMG_0112.JPG
    161.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0111.JPG
    IMG_0111.JPG
    149.4 KB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0109.JPG
    IMG_0109.JPG
    185.8 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_0108.JPG
    IMG_0108.JPG
    164.1 KB · Views: 153
I'll bet most ppl from up north look at these pictures and kind of shrug there shoulders, but in new iberia louisiana you can hear kids screaming from all around the neghiborhood at 700am as most of them made there first snow man/snow angel of there lives. It cheered up the whole town. Even the muggers and pan handlers were in a good mood.

Tron Thanks for the post I was going to post two pic I got here in S.E. Texas of the snow. But will have to wait for the computer to get back from the guru's house getting fixed. I only got two pictures it started snowing here about 8:00 pm so it was dark. My twin three year olds looked at me and my wife like we were crazy when we said we were going outside about 9:30 one said it is dark we can't go outside. ( and you think they do not listen ).

Beautiful Pictures! I do love snow. Raised on and learned to drive on Mt Rainier and in the foothills. So, I am not afraid of snow - I love it!

Thirty three years ago, tonight, we got about a foot and a half of snow - as we were going to leave for our honeymoon. We did not make it out of town! So for our aniversary the WX man is predicting a fifty year snow storm here!

Dixie, Enjoy your snow. And MERRY CHRISTmas.
POP (and MOM, too)

It had been almost 21 years since we'd seen this kind of accumulation(Feb '88). My son is 19 and daughter 18 and had never seen snow like this. :D Here are a few of pics of my area. My wife and I, and daughter in next pic, enjoying a long overdue friend.

Attachments

• 100_0909.jpg
    100_0909.jpg
    997.1 KB · Views: 170
  • 100_0907.jpg
    100_0907.jpg
    862.9 KB · Views: 146
  • 100_0929.jpg
    100_0929.jpg
    773.1 KB · Views: 134
great pics

And nice stories too. They predicted a snow event that didn't happen for us in N central AL Thurs, and I was glad of it. Things get crazy up here when it snows lol.
In Feb 1980 I was sent to Mobile AL for a new job, my first away from-hometown job, and thought it was going to be nice and warm on the coast there. I was very surprised to get cold temps and a couple of short-lived snows (inch or two over night. About 300mi north where I'm from we get more than 2" of snow maybe every 5-6yrs, if that often. Except of course the storm of March 93. Interesting to see a little snow as far south as New Orleans.

Thanks everyone :) They'll be talking about this snowfall for years to come around here. It was the earliest on record, and one of the heaviest on record (it was the heaviest in my lifetime, and I was born in '69). Funny thing is, highs today reached into the 60s :eek:

Last edited:
Very rare! Had 5.5 inches here. The very last of it melted today. Never seen this much snow here.

Been an odd year here. Crazy storm in May that dropped over 5 inches of water in an hour with white out hail conditions. Then Hurricane Gustav kicked us hard then this snow.

Definitely a year to remember.

By Monday it will be shorts and TShirt weather again.

Very rare! Had 5.5 inches here. The very last of it melted today. Never seen this much snow here.

Wow, looks like the Baton Rouge area got twice as much as we did. I was there the day before (Wednesday) to visit with family, but we left before it got too late because of the snow forecast... Didn't think it would follow us back to New Orleans though :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)