Snowfall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just took my wife back up to Wal-Mart. A lot of the third shift crew called in because of the weather. It has been sleeting for the past 5 hours now. The snow has gotten more slicker because of it. We're due for more snowfall all day tomorrow. I may not go into work if it gets worse.

I have to stay up until 4am to go pick up the wife. Fortunately the new tires on my car that I got today are helping tremendously.

We here in Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY got a good 18" of snow on the ground. My wife worked from 11p-6a because no one else was there. I took her to work and picked her up. I had a hell of a time trying to get my car out of our parking lot this morning thanks to all the snow. Our street isn't plowed. We nearly got stuck in it on the way back home.

My company closed down today (YEAH!) making my Christmas holiday a 5 day holiday since I called in yesterday.

Supposed to get below zero tonight. What's funny, and Iceberg will get a kick out of this, our local news channels are calling this a Minnesota type snowstorm. :D

Neutron said:
Supposed to get below zero tonight. What's funny, and Iceberg will get a kick out of this, our local news channels are calling this a Minnesota type snowstorm. :D

That is pretty fuuny :)

I remember in Duluth when we had a major lake effect snowstorm, we got 38 inches of snow in 18 hours!!

Neutron said:
We here in Southern Indiana/Louisville, KY got a good 18" of snow on the ground.

Wow, you guys got the brunt of that. In the Georgetown/Lexington area, only a small ice storm (nothing like Feb/03). Pretty much a dusting of snow after that.

Iceberg, Damn snowplows! The plow driver in my neighborhood always seems to hang the edge of the plow over the curb on the curve and peels a nice chunk of yard outa my neighbors house and every spring they are out putting down grass seed and black dirt. For all you none Minnesotians out there the temp this morning in Embarrass MN was 42 below zero this morning :shocked

Dayton received record snowfall (mentioned on Good Morning America). The weather channel keeps bringing that up too (they even mentioned my original hometown Troy). Really we only got about 20" not counting the drifts, so I'm not sure what they mean by record--for today's date, or certain frame of time or whatever. Level 3 "snow emergency" everywhere meaning you'll get ticketed for being on the roads if not emergency personnel. Every thing is closed today (I didn't go in to work :D).

I have to take my wife back to work here in a bit. I hope I don't get my car stuck again. :( :(

The news people called it that because Louisville doesn't have a whole lot of snow plow/salt trucks. They didn't have enough for this. :)

I remember the Lexington ice storm last year. Bardstown, KY got it good last night too. This morning up to 3000 homes in that area lost power.

Lovely! We had an inch or so ON TOP OF ICE! At least the electricity didn't go off - BUT the CABLE did! Hooray for DBS.

Ours was also snow on top of ice. Made for an interesting trip to Wal-Mart this morning. :D

We got 6-8" depending on where you step 2 days ago. Just the right amount. Enough to make it worthwhile to drag out the snow blower, but not too much that the roads don't get cleared for days. By noon yesterday most roads were decent or good. Some of the back country roads were still a little tricky.

I'm just happy we'll have a real white Christmas. Nothing like drinking hot chocolate, a roaring fire in the background, and three screaming toddlers fighing over each other's toys. Ah the memories I'll treasure in the years to come.

It's actually kind of funny. For the past 3-4 years, we've always gotten some type of a major snow even over the Christmas school break. It's always over though in time for school to start so the kiddies don't miss any school. When I was a kid, we'd be lucky if we had a decent frost on the ground during break and since our superintendent was from Anchorage, school didn't close ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)