snowing in VA - No Signal on Voom

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

jimmykce1

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 5, 2004
Well VA is getting hit with a big snow front and I just lost all my satellite channels due to snow on the dish. I guess I will have to wait until the sun melts the snow off the dish tomorrow since I don't have a ladder high enough to reach the dish.

I'm under sunny skies in the Fredericksburg area...it looks like your down in the Southeast part of the state. Is your problem due to snow on the dish of perhaps just the snow flakes and cloud cover? What is your typical signal strength? I get a pretty steady 96 under sunny/coudy skies and experience rain fade only during electrical storms or very heavy rain - haven't experienced any snowfall...yet. Also, my dish is mounted on the side of the house 6 feet off the ground, which makes it eash to maintain. Is there any possibilty of moving the dish?

I wonder if VOOMers in the Norfolk/VA Beach area are having similar problems...

snow on the LNB not the dish. I am in Newport News, Va (Hampton Roads area - VA)

Getting all my local channels OTA.

Having moved to VA from MI, the snow is usually a short term problem. Once the front moves through the snow/ice usually slides off and the problem goes away. I never had snow cause a problem for more than about an hour after the front moved through. Either the snow was nice and cold and blew off, or it was nice and wet and slid off.

Only once was I tempted to try to get up on the roof and get rid of the snow on the dish, and a quick look at the roof condition cured that. And within an hour or so the problem was gone anyway. but every situation is unique...

- jame

We just got hit with 18" of snow here in western Kentucky and my Voom system never lost the signal whatsoever. Snowed in for three days watching Voom HD, GREAT! I wish it would do that when we get a heavy rain.

When I got up this morning all my channels were working fine. So it might of been the big snow front because there is still snow on my dish.

I had no problems. But I wiped off the dish a couple of times when I started seeing problems. It wasnt the cloud cover it was snow accumulation on the dish and lnb.

Solution to your Voom Sat problem ....

try moving to Palm Springs California or Perhaps San Diego California Vooms sems to work best where it's dry and sunny all year long :)

Hey ... It don't get snow here but ... I lost reception in medium rain -- rain fade

Voomster :rainbow

Lucky for me, the back of my dish points toward the direction the snow blows from, plus with the downward looking angle, I only have to worry about LNB accumulation and that's easy to knock off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts