SNY Gone Tomorrow? (It's Gone!)

Nobody in the entire state of New York should have Dish Network period. I mean Dish Network has no respect not just for New York City but for the entire state of New York. They will not carry MSG just because they will not carry FUSE (was my sisters favorite channel). So they just decide not to carry SNY either. My suggestion to all New Yorkers. You are better off with cable or Directv.

I wholeheartedly agree. Most people outside NY do not realize what a really small part of the state NYC is, and that, because of the way the city is with high rise apartments, etc., there are actually very few Dish subscribers in the city. Upstate is huge. It's nearly 400 miles from Buffalo to NYC, 250 from Syracuse to NYC, and 300 miles from Plattsburg to NYC. Most of Dish's subscribers are upstate, but watch downstate teams because that's where the vast majority of teams are (with the exception of the Buffalo teams and Syracuse University). Having no RSN in NY is simply unacceptable, and Dish customers need to let Dish know that in no uncertain terms. As Forhire33 says, there should not be a Dish customer in the entire state or the portions of other states where NY RSNs are their RSNs (like northeastern PA, VT, CT).

I wholeheartedly agree. Most people outside NY do not realize what a really small part of the state NYC is, and that, because of the way the city is with high rise apartments, etc., there are actually very few Dish subscribers in the city. Upstate is huge. It's nearly 400 miles from Buffalo to NYC, 250 from Syracuse to NYC, and 300 miles from Plattsburg to NYC. Most of Dish's subscribers are upstate, but watch downstate teams because that's where the vast majority of teams are (with the exception of the Buffalo teams and Syracuse University). Having no RSN in NY is simply unacceptable, and Dish customers need to let Dish know that in no uncertain terms. As Forhire33 says, there should not be a Dish customer in the entire state or the portions of other states where NY RSNs are their RSNs (like northeastern PA, VT, CT).

Very true what you state. I always loved Dish's DVRs and I could live without the Yankees and YES if need be; the Mets, Knicks, Rangers and Nets I could care less of; but I can't live without MSG, whereas the Buffalo Sabres Games are broadcast only on MSG and the Sabres and MSG are in a long term contract, so I don't see a solution to this other than subbing to Time Warner Cable. I would sub to Directv, however right now Time Warner is killing them on National HD Channels that that aren't 24/7 RSN. So I for the last two years I have put up with less than desirable DVR, but an outstanding selection for VOD and great promo pricing to get me to switch over from Dish ($104 a month for a HD-DVR, another HD-Reciver, over 100 Channels in HD including all locals, plus high speed internet). The true test will come this summer, when my 2 year promo ends and I see how much Time Warner is gonna want to stick it to me. I was paying Dish around $85 a month, plus Time Warner another $45 for high speed internet and the basic lifeline cable, when I switched.

Nobody in the entire state of New York should have Dish Network period. I mean Dish Network has no respect not just for New York City but for the entire state of New York. They will not carry MSG just because they will not carry FUSE (was my sisters favorite channel). So they just decide not to carry SNY either. My suggestion to all New Yorkers. You are better off with cable or Directv.

That seems to be the case. Still perplexes me how DISH could not want to market to the 3rd largest state in the US.

That seems to be the case. Still perplexes me how DISH could not want to market to the 3rd largest state in the US.

Perplexes me, too. Reading the little Charlie has said on the subject, it seems he doesn't believe New Yorkers care about sports, or at least RSNs. I don't think that attitude will change unless it affects his bottom line and the only way for that to happen is a mass exodus of Dish subscribers in the state.

It really is not perplexing. The cost of carrying YES, MSG, and SNY, are probably greater or would make the income from the relatively few subscribers Dish has there not worth it. It has nothing to do with Charlie thinking NY cares or does not care about Sports. Dish knows exactly what and where they are making money, and are not making money. They know how many specifically care enough about sports. You guys seem to think this is done on a whim. I don't think it helps that they have three high priced RSN's, while many areas have one or two RSN's. and I'm guessing thus far are not asking as high a price.

It really is not perplexing. The cost of carrying YES, MSG, and SNY, are probably greater or would make the income from the relatively few subscribers Dish has there not worth it. It has nothing to do with Charlie thinking NY cares or does not care about Sports. Dish knows exactly what and where they are making money, and are not making money. They know how many specifically care enough about sports. You guys seem to think this is done on a whim. I don't think it helps that they have three high priced RSN's, while many areas have one or two RSN's. and I'm guessing thus far are not asking as high a price.

Not at all, Tampa, and I think you may have missed my point. While Dish does have a very low subscriber rate in NYC (as does Direct), upstate has many more. The presumption is that those outside NYC do not care about the RSN because they're city teams. Add to that that before the SNY thing, Dish also wasn't carrying (and still isn't carrying) the other RSNs - so there was only one to begin with. And, all of Dish's competitors do carry all three. I don't disagree that this was not done on a whim (although Dish may want it to appear that way, I'm pretty confident they knew what SNY was going to ask for), but I'm not sure they took into account those outside NYC who are NY sports fans. Going back to Forhire's point, there is no reason for a sports fan in the state to have Dish when all of the competition carries all three RSNs plus other sports programming (such as MLB Network) not carried by Dish. And despite those Dish commercials, a comparison of packages reveals Dish is not cheaper for what most people watch. Yes, Direct's lowest package costs more than Dish's - but it also includes more channels (including RSNs) comparable to the more expensive DisH packages.

I don't think that is the case comparing Dish 250, and about 17 more channels in HD, but not the thread to argue that. Too many considerations when comparing, and Direct is a very good service too.

I do understand what you are saying about outside NYC, but my reply stands on that. I'm sure dish knows what they will lose in the State of NY, by not carrying any of the RSN's. I believe there were not alot to begin with, and Dish numbers show how many watch RSN's, and decided it was better to abandon then to pay the costs of three RSN's. They already had not been carrying MSG for several months, never carried YES. Not a stretch to not carry SNY.
I'm still not convinced SNY won't be back.

About to be dumping dish.. I give it another 30 days... when my time warner Roadrunner special runs out! ;) Time Warner has a new special in NY for $79 for 1 year for digital cable and high speed internet. Without SNY, MSG, YES, Disney HD and others I can't take it anymore.. Living in NY under Dish is not possible!

I love the DVR, Guide, Sling but not even offering a Sports Tier for these channels makes it difficult to hang around.. So 5 years is all I can handle!

About to be dumping dish.. I give it another 30 days... when my time warner Roadrunner special runs out! ;) Time Warner has a new special in NY for $79 for 1 year for digital cable and high speed internet. Without SNY, MSG, YES, Disney HD and others I can't take it anymore.. Living in NY under Dish is not possible!

I love the DVR, Guide, Sling but not even offering a Sports Tier for these channels makes it difficult to hang around.. So 5 years is all I can handle!

Left at the end of April. Time Warner will give you cable/internet/phone for $99, and if you talk to a sales rep they'll give you some sort of credit for the ETF. There's been a slight learning curve going back to cable after 10 years with Dish, especially with the guide (Time Warner's guide sucks), but I haven't missed a Mets game in HD since the switch. And the Look Back and On Demand features are good.

Just counting down the days here until I can go back to cable. I had it before, and signed on with Dish, which was great, but between the losing RSN's, and them jacking up the equipment fee's, cable is looking more and more like a sanctuary.

I already have Lifeline cable, so I pay $12 for cable plus another $5 extra for internet. So come fall, I may just go to digital cable, plus Dish. I can't leave Dish due to several things. The most important is the wife knows how to operate the Dish dvr. She could never figure out my BUD. Second, I've got so much stored on my dvr and ehd. And lastly, with the Sling adapter, I can view anything on my dvr from my laptop any where I travel. Even though we are retired, the wife has no problem with adding regular cable.

I've had FiOS for three days now and I am loving it. It is great to finally be able to watch the Mets again. MLB Network is great also. I do wish MSG was in HD but that's a whole different story in itself. I hope they will be able to work something out before the hockey season begins again. Dish didn't seem to care that I was cancelling after 10+ years. I am a bit ticked however, that I have to pay for shipping the receivers back. I would of never cancelled if they didn't remove every single RSN.

I've had FiOS for three days now and I am loving it. It is great to finally be able to watch the Mets again. MLB Network is great also. I do wish MSG was in HD but that's a whole different story in itself. I hope they will be able to work something out before the hockey season begins again. Dish didn't seem to care that I was cancelling after 10+ years. I am a bit ticked however, that I have to pay for shipping the receivers back. I would of never cancelled if they didn't remove every single RSN.

Very similar story here, 10+ years, Dish had little to say when I told them why I was cancelling (no NY RSN). I have cable, which does have MSG in HD, and I have come to really like the MLB Network - didn't know what I was missing. I would have stayed if Ii thought they were at least making an effort, but it is clear they aren't.

Must suck to be a met fan this weekend. :D:p

Not really. We're all banged up and the Buffalo Boys did great in all but one of the 27 innings played against your aging Yankees. I must admit that Jeter remains a Met killer with a .386 average against us. That's the highest average against the Mets all-time.

I really shouldn't have answered you, because this thread is really not the place for sports talk. I don't understand why the mods allow you to use this thread to display your hatred for the Mets. Isn't this a satellite thread about the loss of a RSN? Please use the sports thread for your Mets bashing. Mods, this member should be warned about keeping threads on track and that sports talk just like politics have their own places. Thank you.

Last edited:

you have fearnet also :(

I really shouldn't have answered you, because this thread is really not the place for sports talk. I don't understand why the mods allow you to use this thread to display your hatred for the Mets. Isn't this a satellite thread about the loss of a RSN? Please use the sports thread for your Mets bashing. Mods, this member should be warned about keeping threads on track and that sports talk just like politics have their own places. Thank you.

agreed. Please keep it on topic about the loss of a RSN. :)

I too have left Dish after 10+ years. Admittedly I do not follow the Mets nor watch SNY, but having no RSNs in NY was the final straw for me. I had FiOS installed a couple of weeks ago and have been very satisfied so far. I do miss having the ability to incorporate the OTA into the DVR, but that has been a small price to pay.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)