So-are 721 owners screwed?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

makman

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Scott,

With great fanfare you proclaimed "We Won-Charlie gave in" (or something similar.

Well,this is not true. Charlie made multiple promises about NBR. So far he has only reversed course with the 501 etc.

What about his promises for the 721/921?

Why did we stop fighting? Have you been doing anything about the other NBR promises?

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate what you do and have done. I just think that Charlie giving in (assuming he keeps his latest word) on one broken promise should not get him off the hook for the other promises. We need to keep fighting.

Mitch

So far it looks like we're screwed. We all know that NBR is very possible for the 721/921 but it dont look like its coming at least anytime soon. By the time they would think about getting it to us it would be time for our MPEG-4 swapouts.

Don't give up guys. Vote with your checkbook by lowering your programming level with Dish, don't recommend to friends, tell Dish not to call you for sales upgrades, and sell all your Dish stock. I did and it has since dropped from 33+ to 29 and change... not that I believe I had a direct affect, but that the market and Dish customers are losing confidence. I wouldn't be surprised if some anyalsts read this forum to get a sense of how power customers think and feel. :(

unfortunately charlie doesn't care about his customers, if he did we would have cstv, they would have tested their receivers before letting customers buy the 811 and 921
jd power and associates is bs, im still not satisfied with echostar and been withem for 4 years now, its funny those who buy their most expensive pvrs(721&921) get no help at all
CHARLIE WAKE UP FOOKER GIVE US WHAT WE DESERVE NBR ON 721&921
ALSO FIX OR REPLACE ALL CRAP 811's

This 721 owner's not screwed

Because tomorrow Comcast will be here to take away the piece of crap 721 that I bought 6 months ago (actually the fourth one that they sent out to replace the one I bought) and I will be selling the other 721 on eBay. I will save about $30 a month by using Comcast, until DirecTV comes out with their new Mpeg4 receivers, and Charlie can kiss my A**.

Later Echostar. See you in bankruptcy court.

We will all eventually have NBR one way or another whether we get the upgrade or get swapped with the new MPEG-4 DVR's.

If I were you I would keep both 721's and sell them and if they require a receiver for trade-in on a promotion find a cheap receiver (~$50) to give them since the 721's do have some good value to them.

Not My Problem

Stargazer said:
We will all eventually have NBR one way or another whether we get the upgrade or get swapped with the new MPEG-4 DVR's.

If I were you I would keep both 721's and sell them and if they require a receiver for trade-in on a promotion find a cheap receiver (~$50) to give them since the 721's do have some good value to them.

Comcast came and installed yesterday. I have NBR now. As I told the CSR yesterday when I called to cancel my subscription to DISH after 6 years, they had their chances. Multiiple chances. I mused to him that I found it interesting that DISH had little interest when I was complaining and telling them that they would lose me if they didn't fix my problems. But when I actually called to cancel they suddenly acted like they were losing a lifelong friend. Tough sh&$#!

The last thing the CSR told me before I hung up was "If things don't work out with Comcast, give us a call." My response was, "I'll call all right. I'll call DirecTV. DISH will never be in my house again."

I'm starting to wonder why I didn't do this before. My picture quality actually seems better. I've got digital, with a two tuner NBR DVR and complete ON DEMAND on four TVs for $30 less a month than I was paying DISH for 2 TVs. The tech that installed even fixed the screw up that DISH did to the plate in my bedroom when they installed. He also let me know that all of my analog channels will be digital overlay within the next week or two.

To tell the truth, D* better have some impressive stuff coming out to get me off of Comcast.

makman said:
What is digital overlay?

Mitch

Basically it means that they will be broadcasting the basic channels in both digital and analog. If you have a digital box they will come across digitally. If you don't they'll come across analog.

Personally I'm in no rush to get NBR. They can't get the thing to work right when all they have to worry about is a timer based system which is "easier" to program.

ZBRs, Midnight timers with the wrong labels, and timers that are mislabeled just because they are at the bottom of your timers (they are supposed to be in action order...... if they aren't...... bad things are probably gonna happen).

I cringe at the thought of them adding the nbr "feature" and having the reliability fall even further.

I don't want it and I really don't want to pay for it. Do you really think they would add it and NOT add a $5/month charge for it?

I think the 721s are safe from the fees. They still haven't instituted them on my 2 Dishplayers yet...... (Then again, I have AEP so that may have something to do with it, I don't know)

Guys, the software on the 721 and 921 are outsourced to a british company. One that sucked, I might add. These boxes actually run off of a linux-based code. it might not be so simple to add NBR in.

I'm willing to bet that if it did get added in, you WILL have to pay a fee to justify the costs, and frankly, the 721 and 921 population is too small to worry about it.

So yes, basically you're screwed.

rdlink said:
Because tomorrow Comcast will be here to take away the piece of crap 721 that I bought 6 months ago (actually the fourth one that they sent out to replace the one I bought) and I will be selling the other 721 on eBay. I will save about $30 a month by using Comcast, until DirecTV comes out with their new Mpeg4 receivers, and Charlie can kiss my A**.

Later Echostar. See you in bankruptcy court.
Ack! Why give Comcast a 721 to get their rebate? Don't you have a 301 laying around somewhere?

jrbdmb said:
Ack! Why give Comcast a 721 to get their rebate? Don't you have a 301 laying around somewhere?

I agree! He should be able to pick up a DISH receiver at a local pawn shop for less than $50 and sell the 721 on eBay (or somewhere else) for a couple hundred.

bcshields said:
Guys, the software on the 721 and 921 are outsourced to a british company. One that sucked, I might add. These boxes actually run off of a linux-based code. it might not be so simple to add NBR in.

I'm willing to bet that if it did get added in, you WILL have to pay a fee to justify the costs, and frankly, the 721 and 921 population is too small to worry about it.

So yes, basically you're screwed.

I can't speak for the 921, but the 721 was rock solid when it shipped. It was only after the DISH engineers started screwing with the SW that things started going downhill. Maybe they should have let the British company continue to work on it.

As far as the suggestion to give Comcast a cheaper receiver, I tried that. I trolled pawnshops but couldn't find any sat receivers. I was going to buy a cheap receiver off of ebay, I ran out of time. Believe me, if I could have found a cheap sat receiver, whether it be E* or D* I would not have given that one up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts