So did anyone go out and buy that PSP handheld game player ?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got one for my son on Friday. It was his birthday, and I went to Walmart to get him a game. They still had a few in stock, so I thought what the hell.

I can see this giving the DS a run for the money, although you are right, $250 is pricey for mom and dad to plunk down on a handheld. The screen is nice and big, the graphics look pretty impressive. I haven't even started to explore the connectivity yet, since my son has been playing it pretty steady.

The rechargeable battery life is shorter than the DS, but having both side by side, I can see the PSP becoming the favourite.

Games run at $40-50, which is also getting a little out of hand as well.

I guess time will tell who will win the handheld battle.

I think it's much more about being a portable gaming machine AND all-in-one entertainment gadget, so I don't see as a direct competition for DS.
DS targets a different target group and has one HUUUGE advantage: it's backward compatible with GB Advance...

Give DS a run for its money? Are you kidding me? PSP blows the Ds away. It will crush the DS. Already sold out the first million PSPs. The screen is amazing and the graphics are incredible. It will play, movies, music, display digital photos and has wireless net for PSP to PSP gameplay. DS is still a Nintendo product which means Nintendo games which means junk. No support. The PSP games will be far superior in quality, quantity and diversity. I feel sorry for all the premature purchasers who shot their wad on the DS at xmas.

srjewettlaw said:
Give DS a run for its money? Are you kidding me? PSP blows the Ds away. It will crush the DS. Already sold out the first million PSPs.

Bull-sh*t. They couldn't even sold the initial shipment - retail chains in many big US cities have zillions of PS in stock, due to lack of interest.

The screen is amazing and the graphics are incredible.

True. And?

It will play, movies, music, display digital photos and has wireless net for PSP to PSP gameplay.

You just made my point: it's completely different from DS' concept, the mobile gaming device. This one is $100 more and you'll need to buy a $100-worth memory stick to use as mp3-player, not to mention movies, each game goes around $40-50, movies $20 and no compatibility at all with any other PS. The only thing they promise we'll have the option to play against a PS2/3, that's it.

Your rant doesn't make too much sense.
You apparently get the point that they are made for different target groups and DS arrived to its well-prepared game market: the GB users, making their investment on GB games more precious.
Wireless: DS has wireless too - read first, rant after.
http://www.ferrago.com/story/3074

DS is still a Nintendo product which means Nintendo games which means junk. No support.

This is probably the biggest BS anybody could ever post on this subject - I just pointed out how nice is the fact that Nintendo made DS to be compatible with your old GB games. If it's not support for you, you have to seek professional help...

The PSP games will be far superior in quality, quantity and diversity.

Yeah, against the whole GB inventory, huh? :rolleyes:

Again, you're making no sense whatsoever.

I feel sorry for all the premature purchasers who shot their wad on the DS at xmas.

They really don't care about what you feel - I know two of them and they are very happy with their DS.

PS: before you start another rant, I'd like to point out that my PSP sits next to me.

Yes I am against the GB inventory. Crappy juvenile 2D games for the most part with horrible graphics.

Did I say that DS didn't have wireless? Don't think so. Was merely outlining the features.

So touchy T2k. If your PSP is next to you I can only assume that your "friend's" DS is in the drawer or for sale on EBay as all the rest will be when their owners get a chance to play around with a PSP. Sorry about that premature purchase T2K. Maybe you can dupe some kid who loves GB games to buy your "friend's" DS.

DS better thn PSP? You probably believe that VOOM is going to be around in June.

srjewettlaw said:
Yes I am against the GB inventory. Crappy juvenile 2D games for the most part with horrible graphics.

:rolleyes:
Look, I work in animation/post field, so pleahhhhse. Don't bother yourself emphasizing me what's 3D... the point is it's all about game experience and gfx is only part of it.

You never felt playing with some old game is sooo much fun? Some of my friends still play Duke Nukem in LAN on PC (too bad I don't have time for it) and they have tonz of fun everytime - do you think anybody cares about the gfx?

It's about the game experience, not about gfx.

Did I say that DS didn't have wireless? Don't think so. Was merely outlining the features.

You did post it as one of the reasons of PSP's supposed supremacy.

So touchy T2k. If your PSP is next to you I can only assume that your "friend's" DS is in the drawer or for sale on EBay as all the rest will be when their owners get a chance to play around with a PSP.

They haven't seen it but they did see the reviews. It's about personal taste: they're less technofil folks than me, so I can imagine they are not really care about a default $400-500 worth PSP package (PSP Value Pack, 2-3 games, normal size memory stick) when they have DS and plenty of games already...

If I had GB, probably I had bought DS too. But I never liked consoles despite I tried all of 'em - PS is a POS, PS2 also crap, I sold my Xbox after few days -, the only one left is a GC which I bought for my wife for some dirt cheap, though it's a dust collector also.

I bought PSP because it's very cheap for this high-quality HW - I'm much more interested what can be hacked into this console, for example a full linux with X etc. Great hardware - screen is exceptional, never seen anything like this in such a small size- for bargain price. :p:yes

Sorry about that premature purchase T2K. Maybe you can dupe some kid who loves GB games to buy your "friend's" DS.

Apparently you can't imagine somebody has fun without being a silly, screamingly rabid, blind PSP fan.
They aren't and yet they have a lot of fun.

DS better thn PSP?

Do you have some sort of reading disorder, kid?
I said they are different animals in terms of targeted markets.

Nintendo also thinks differently about many things: http://www.pdastreet.com/articles/2005/3/2005-3-3-Nintendo-DS-PDA.html

You probably believe that VOOM is going to be around in June.

Do you believe Dolan is investing millions from his own pocket then shuts down a motnh later? ROFL :D

I bought the Psp, and I love it, I have nothing negative to say about the Ds, or anybody for that matter. I will tell you the psp is an amazing peice of hardware, if you want a review I will give you one, but I think in two months a review would be better as we have only seen about I believe 20% of what the PSP can do (emulators, surfing the net, Instant messanger, file sharing, car mounting kits, the whole works!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)