So, Does Dish Respond Today?

JayPSU

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 22, 2006
Westerville, Ohio
Typically when Dish adds channels it's on Wednesday and we get to see them on the uplink report. With Directv having begun their roll-out of channels today, does Dish respond today to take some of the wind out of their big day? If you noticed, a lot of the channels that were added today are ones that Dish does NOT yet have (extra Showtime, Starz multiplex, The Movie Channel, CNN, TBS, etc..). Dish was supposed to add more HD this month, with the month coming to an end and with Directv adding channels today, does Dish respond today? Scott, what are you hearing? I want those movie channels in HD!

D* just added a LOT of new satellite capacity, and launched a lot of channels today. MOST of those channels have been added to E* over the last two years.

E* is now in the position that D* was in for the last two years, and they will have to be selective in what goes up, at least until their new satellites are in place. I can't even guess right now how much many channels E* has space to add right now, but I'm guessing that it's less than 12.

Personally, I'm hoping for TBSHD (for the MLB playoffs) and Smithsonian today.

MOST of those channels have been added to E* over the last two years.

Actually, Directv added 21 channels today. 12 of those are channels that Dish does NOT have. So, actually more than half of the added channels have not been added by Dish Network over the years.

Actually, Directv added 21 channels today. 12 of those are channels that Dish does NOT have. So, actually more than half of the added channels have not been added by Dish Network over the years.
I wasn't counting the premium movie channels. Just as I don't count the 9 Dish HD PPV channels.

I like the idea of TBSHD for the playoffs.. BUT, beyond the playoffs, what does TBS really offer. Maybe we want more of a channel for the long term?

My wife and I actually watch TBS probably more than any other station. A lot of reruns of Seinfeld, Raymond, The Office, then she watches some of their new shows too. They also have pretty good movies on there on the weekends, too.

E* is never going to satisfy everyone. I just upgraded to a 722 and really the only channel that I watch everydat that I didnt have with my 811 is ESPN2 HD. But, I like knowing that those others are there for me. So, I guess what I am saying is that the more they add, the better for every one.

I am going to sit and wait for a few months to see what dish will do. I do like the receivers a lot but I did see that direct was working on several themselves. Dish will have to respond one way or another. I expect dish to be forgiving if it's plans or they will loose several subs.

First, D* took a long while to "respond" to E* additions. While we had HGTV-HD, FOOD-HD, NGC-HD, etc. (whatever you think of the first two NGC-HD is really good) D* subscribers were dreaming about having more than 7 or 8 HD channels. So it's not really fair to demand that E* respond right away.

Second, I have to go look again but if I'm not mistaken D* STILL doesn't have a number of the channels we do, including the aforementioned three. It seems they wanted to be able to wave their hands and convince people they're way ahead in the "HD" race all the while hoping they WON'T notice the omissions, at least for now.

=NLK=

D* couldn't respond, they had no bandwidth to add more HD. That has now been corrected with D10 going on line and more room with D11 going online next year. Now that D10 is up D* will be adding HD, it looks like they'll be adding anything HD they can get their hands on.

The question is does E* have enough room to add more, James Long says yes, but will Charlie step up and add them? If it turns out that E* is really short on badnwidth to add more then they'll be in the same position that D* has been in, waiting for a satellite to get launched to provide more bandwidth.

DirecTV was in no way 'responding' to DISH. They announced their sat and HD plans in September of 2004 - at a time when BOTH had pretty much the exact same offering. This much has often been discussed and documented.

It wasn't until Charlie bought Rainbow1 and VOOM programming in May of 2005 that they were able to up their offering and add bandwidth. If VOOM had succeeded - THEY most likely would still have the largest HD offering, and BOTH DISH anr DirecTV would be only now beginning to catch up.

Here's a question i'm sure someone could answer. If all E customers had MPEG 4 receivers and Dish moved all their SD broadcasts around to max out each transponder accordingly. How many transponders could be freed up for more HD channels? Also, does anyone know how many customers still have MPEG 2 receivers vs MPEG 4?

D* couldn't respond, they had no bandwidth to add more HD. That has now been corrected with D10 going on line and more room with D11 going online next year. Now that D10 is up D* will be adding HD, it looks like they'll be adding anything HD they can get their hands on.

The question is does E* have enough room to add more, James Long says yes, but will Charlie step up and add them? If it turns out that E* is really short on badnwidth to add more then they'll be in the same position that D* has been in, waiting for a satellite to get launched to provide more bandwidth.

I had a post the other day that got no response. So i will ask it here. Does anyone know how much room or bandwith does dish have available?? Who is James Long??

I think that number is off. The new channels that E* doesn't offer yet are CNN HD, TBS HD, 2 Showtime HD channels, 3 Starz HD channels, TMC HD, TWC HD, and Smithsonian HD. That's only 10 channels. Also, isn't Golf/Versus a single channel? That would mean only 20 HD channels added on D* today.

I had a post the other day that got no response. So i will ask it here. Does anyone know how much room or bandwith does dish have available?

Digiblur would be a good person to answer that question with a precise answer. I know he has said in the past that there is room on both the core satellites and the wings (61.5&129). I can't give you a number but I know there is room for several more national HD channels right now.

In response to the OP I think we might see more national HD uplinked today, but not made available yet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts