So, Does Dish Respond Today?

I have personally found the HD to be alot clearer on Dish then Cable. Not sure why, but it is a very nice addition, with the HD tv. I was very happy with teh HD programming here vs charter (very little) I find myself mainly watching only HD content now if I can.

TBS HD, please... Playoff baseball in HD we want... Nothing more... the other channels are useless HD holders.

Cox where I am just added TBS HD. While it is good for MLB playoffs, this channel is a total waste of space. There is absolutely no HD on it. All they show is upconverted disgusting looking stretched SD.

I agree that TBS HD is another place holder but at least during the playoffs it will hav e more HD than the others :D. Maybe dish can put it on a part-time basis...

I sure hope they add more HD soon. :)

Somehow I don't see Charlie sitting down on this one.

Actually, Directv added 21 channels today. 12 of those are channels that Dish does NOT have. So, actually more than half of the added channels have not been added by Dish Network over the years.

I count 10...Dish doesn't offer CNN HD, Show west, Show too, Smithsonian HD, Starz Comedy, Starz Edge, Starz Kids and Family, TBS, TMC HD, Weather Channel HD

Dish offers all the rest.

And for the record, Golf and Versus share a channel, so nobody, including DirecTV, Dish, cable, etc, should be counting it as two separate channels. But that is an argument for another day.

Enjoy your 20 new channels. I am certainly hoping Dish will match the Starz offerings. We only get Starz HD, as you probably know.

Which two did you think we didn't get on Dish in your count of 12? Just curious.

My wife and I actually watch TBS probably more than any other station. A lot of reruns of Seinfeld, Raymond, The Office, then she watches some of their new shows too. They also have pretty good movies on there on the weekends, too.

Edited, interrupted movies on channels such as TBS, TNT, Lifetime, etc are a waste of time. With 26+ HBO and Cinemax channels available alone, depending on your provider, and then Showtime variations, Starz, Movie Channel, Encore, etc... Not to mention DVD and Netflix.. who in their right mind would watch basic cable movies this day in age with its edited for TV films and commercial interruptions? Buy your wife a DVD player or a premium channel.

I hate basic cable channels airing movies. Sitcoms are one thing but movies?

I saw TNT or one of them airing Saving Private Ryan the other day... umm... no thanks... I'll watch my DVD of the film.

Scott. Will you at some point give us your opinion on the picture quality on the new hd at direct compared to dish. I may be looking to get both. I would like to hear your opinion on what dish should do or can do in the short term to keep up with direct on both hd content and picture quality.

I have Bright House Cable and Dish. With Dish I have the top 100 package plus the $20 HD and Starz... unfortunately, I don't get NGC-HD with DISH, or Science Channel HD, Animal Planet, etc... so this is kind of annoying. I think I'd have to up to the 250 package to get NGC-HD.. but I am not going to do that while I still have cable. I keep my HBO, Cinemax and Showtime with cable since they have more multichannels. I'd switch for just a handful of HD multichannels though. But then I'd be giving up the OnDemands of HBO, Sho, and Max on Dish.

HGTV-HD actually is very good too. I don't watch food tv.

First, D* took a long while to "respond" to E* additions. While we had HGTV-HD, FOOD-HD, NGC-HD, etc. (whatever you think of the first two NGC-HD is really good) D* subscribers were dreaming about having more than 7 or 8 HD channels. So it's not really fair to demand that E* respond right away.

Second, I have to go look again but if I'm not mistaken D* STILL doesn't have a number of the channels we do, including the aforementioned three. It seems they wanted to be able to wave their hands and convince people they're way ahead in the "HD" race all the while hoping they WON'T notice the omissions, at least for now.

=NLK=

HGTV-HD actually is very good too. I don't watch food tv.

There are plenty of people that don't want to pay for premium channels regardless of their movie content. Honestly, since HBO and Cinemax often crop 2.35:1 movies, I would prefer to watch them on the Voom channels, HDNet or UniHD.

HGTV is okay. My issue is that they don't show anything (*cough* useful) from DIY network.

Back on topic, I would rather Dish add Smithsonian than TBS, CNN or TWC. All 3 are fluff from what I've read. TWC already said they won't be real HD until next year, so, "Why the rush, Chuck?" CNBC HD sounds interesting. They are doing something similar to what I wish others would do with sports coverage.

Back on topic, I would rather Dish add Smithsonian than TBS, CNN or TWC. All 3 are fluff from what I've read. TWC already said they won't be real HD until next year, so, "Why the rush, Chuck?" CNBC HD sounds interesting. They are doing something similar to what I wish others would do with sports coverage.

Au Contraire, from reading the D* HD forums, CNN already broadcasts from their NY studios in HD, TWC-HD has some HD content already.

I wonder if we (Dish) will get Fox Business. It is launching as HD. This would explain why Fox News isn't jumping to match CNN HD. They are putting their HD efforts into Fox Business.

I don't like HBO and Cinemax's cropping either. I wish all the multichannels were widescreen instead of pan and scan.

What is on Smithsonian?

There are plenty of people that don't want to pay for premium channels regardless of their movie content. Honestly, since HBO and Cinemax often crop 2.35:1 movies, I would prefer to watch them on the Voom channels, HDNet or UniHD.

HGTV is okay. My issue is that they don't show anything (*cough* useful) from DIY network.

Edited, interrupted movies on channels such as TBS, TNT, Lifetime, etc are a waste of time. With 26+ HBO and Cinemax channels available alone, depending on your provider, and then Showtime variations, Starz, Movie Channel, Encore, etc... Not to mention DVD and Netflix.. who in their right mind would watch basic cable movies this day in age with its edited for TV films and commercial interruptions? Buy your wife a DVD player or a premium channel.

I hate basic cable channels airing movies. Sitcoms are one thing but movies?

I saw TNT or one of them airing Saving Private Ryan the other day... umm... no thanks... I'll watch my DVD of the film.

I do have a DVD player and a lot of movies. But if it's not a movie I want to buy, just watch, then I'm not going to spend $20 for the DVD. I don't watch enough movies to make Netflix or any of the movie packages worth it for me. I can DVR a movie on TBS or TNT and skip right through the commercials. It's not a big deal.

CNN spends so much time showing youtube clips, why would you want a full time HD channel? I'm also not that excited about TWC HD. I get my weather from the web.

D* could add 700 HD movie channels and I'd still prefer monsters HD over 700 reruns of mission impossible III.

I really dont get all the hype to rush HD channels when we know most of the content is not HD.

TBS HD for 5 baseball games a year? If you like MLB or NFL, maybe E* is not for you.

With that said, I can't wait for NHL network and NHL CI in glorious HD!! Just got my 622 L444 update this morning and I'm ready to go!!

TBS HD for 5 baseball games a year? If you like MLB or NFL, maybe E* is not for you.

5 baseball games a year? I would say that TBS shows more baseball than anyone but ESPN. They've got 27 games scheduled in just the next few weeks with the first 2 rounds of the playoffs. Even the regular season, they show normally 2-4 games per week.

Sorry, still not a lot of sympathy. When I got my very first install with Dish (and it was a VERY long time ago) it was a 5xx receiver and I remember asking the installer at the time about how soon it would be before the receiver would need to be swapped out to something MPEG4 compatible. It wasn't a huge investment in any case. Of the 3 5xx's I've had, I've hauled 2 to the dump because their value was too small to bother with Ebay. I sold the 921 there a long time ago and hope the purchaser has gotten their money's worth. Dish took back the 2 942's in exchange for the 2 622's I have now. Maybe you are totally happy on all those tv's you have hooked up to old receivers. But on the 2 622's that are hooked up, wouldn't you like MORE?

The 510s are on my kids TV's. I am not going to shell out a bunch of money for upgrades for Nickelodeon and ABC Family.