So fanboys, what is so great about your format?

The PS3 is currently selling ahead of the XBOX360 during the same months after its lauch. So how is the XBOX360 doing right now CochiseGuy? Why don't you visit this XMAS 2007 -- that is when we will see who has the sales mojo going.

BUZZZZZZ. Nope January 2006 sales of the XBox360 (constrained by a supply imbalance) STILL outperformed Sony's January 2007 numbers.....

Oh one more thing, I would rather pay $600 for a product that works, doesn't overheat, delivers on the HD side and provides future safeguards like BluRay and HDMI 1.3 included then $400 for a product that freezes up , burns up, smokes my discs , doesn't play HD movies out of the box and is already being replaced 18 months into production.

Does it count if the PS3 gets to 10 million sold quicker then the XBOX360 or just when the PS3 bypasses the number of XBOX360 sold? Reason I ask is that both systems are going to rock and who cares which one you have (or both if your are fortunate) because those 10 mill PS3s will also be 10 Mill BluRay players too. Maybe a few of these folks will actually buy a BluRay movie huh?

Sigh. Where to begin.....

I have one of the original units. No freezeups, no destroyed discs (but then again I don't TRY and trip it up my moving it from a vertical to a horizontal position while a disc is spinning), it plays HD movies downloaded over Video Marketplace out of the box. Yes, they have a version 2.0 coming with a smaller chip, a bigger drive, and a different case. Kind of like the PS2 that changed its look about 18 months into its life cycle.

As for the passing of the XBox360, the pS3 is lagging behind. It cant even beat it's 90 lb. weakling little brother.... (Yes, I know the 360 can't either..... cheaper units sell more, which explains why folks are turning up there noses at a player that costs 4-5 times more....) BluRay isn't a "safeguard" as it is still a format that is on shaky ground (like I've said, it is probably more likely that both formats ultimately fail to gain anything other than niche status). The HDMI 1.3 standard will be taken care of with Zephyr. Since the 1.3 standard didn't even exist when the 360 first rolled out, I think it is a little disingenuous to include it as a disadvantage. Oh and don't forget to add $50 to that $600 for a cable to watch that HD, because Sony only gives you COMPOSITE cables in the box. Microsoft provides a dual cable that can handle wither SD or HD video feeds - even up to 1080p IF the TV manufacturer doesn't restrict the resolution to 1080i over component connections, like Sony does...

As for the BluRay sales number, people who bought a PS3 bought .7 titles when taken as an aggregate total.

Does THAT sound like a device that will bludgeon a market into accepting your format? Sounds more like UMD, which also spiked initially and then died off. I haven't seen a single buyer buying a UMD title at my local Best Buy.

The 360 HD DVD had an attach rate 400% higher. Yes, BluRay is selling more right now, because they have more new releases in 2007 so far. It still is a dead heat when you compare the last year in aggregate. We'll see what happens now that Circuit City is expanding its focus on HD DVD. Now that Sony has dropped the price of a standalone player to the price of a PS3, I'm sure HD DVD will also have another price drop shortly to maintain their lead in this area. Ive heard rumors that $299 will be the new price point.

If that .7 attach rate for BD movies of PS3 owners is correct how in the world did BD pass HD-DVD in total discs sales and why are they pulling away?

Lets see, 1 mil ps3 sold in North America (Canada and the US) times .7% equals only 7,000 BD movies purchased. With that number there is no way BD could of passed up HD-DVD. I think your attachment rate is considerably too low Bob. I think that attachment rate is probably 7% not .7. That would give you 700,000 discs sales which could possibly explain how BD has made up so much lag and passed HD-DVD,

An attach rate of .7 is not .7 percent. It's point 7. Point 7 times 1,000,000 yields 700,000. The only sales figures we've seen note about 700,000 high def discs sold in each format. So if you figure about a million PS3s sold at the time, and a much smaller number of dedicated BD players, you can SWAG an attach rate of .7

Attach Rate is the rate by which support programs are sold with, or “attached” to, the sale of products.

They are simply saying (claiming) that people buy more movies with the HD-DVD player, as in, at the same time that they are buying the player. It's obvious Blu-ray buyers are mostly buying their movies later. Hardly a big surprise. Sales price enters into it, but also many were bought intending to be resold, and many, many, were no doubt bought as gifts. A high "attach rate" is usually good, but not definitive. And is sometimes misleading.

Absolute sales figures mean a lot. We've only seen the one. And those figures are not so high as to indicate the market is large enough at this time to support "picking the winner." Sales rates, as in 2 to 1, are good indicators of the future. But those rates must be sustained for many months for the absolute sales figures to grow to the point where there is anything like a "critical mass" to indicate a winner. When they sell a million a month, it's interesting. When they sell ten million a month, it's probably over with.

BUZZZZZZ. Nope January 2006 sales of the XBox360 (constrained by a supply imbalance) STILL outperformed Sony's January 2007 numbers.....

Actually, Joe is correct on those sales numbers. Its true that the 360 out sold the PS3 between a January 06 (360) and January 07 (PS3) comparison, but the PS3 out sold the 360 at the start.

XBox 360 sales
End of 2005 600,000
Jan 2006 250,000
Total 850,000

PS3 sales
End of 2006 687,700
Jan 2007 244,000
Total 931,700

Here are the sources for the numbers...
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8143
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/15/us_console_sales_npd/
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/21/technology/video_games.reut/index.htm

Let's see. Quite a few BD movies have been released this year, not that many HD-DVD movies have been. "BD is outselling HD-DVD" DUH! :rolleyes:

I still believe that if either format is hinging it's existence on the sales of a video game console, they are missing the mark big time. EITHER format.

The PS3 bought them time, momentum, and a starting sales base. It will continue to support Blu-ray sales. But the scene moves on to dedicated players now, the big ring at the circus.

But actually, we can't ignore the PS3. They'll sell at least a million in 2007. Will a million plus dedicated players sell?

Actually, Joe is correct on those sales numbers. Its true that the 360 out sold the PS3 between a January 06 (360) and January 07 (PS3) comparison, but the PS3 out sold the 360 at the start.

XBox 360 sales
End of 2005 600,000
Jan 2006 250,000
Total 850,000

PS3 sales
End of 2006 687,700
Jan 2007 244,000
Total 931,700

Here are the sources for the numbers...
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=8143
http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/15/us_console_sales_npd/
http://money.cnn.com/2007/02/21/technology/video_games.reut/index.htm

Your own stats prove my point. I was merely rejecting his assertion that JANUARY sales from 2006 for XBox 360 were better than JANUARY sales for PS3. They both had supply constraints their first month or two BUT PS3 had no such restaints in January 2007 as numerous retailers had them in stock. The 360 was still hampered by insufficient supply to match demand until March of 2006.....

Bottom line,.. at BEST, PS3 is merely keeping pace with the XBox360. This should be seen as a huge debacle considering that they had a 3-1 advantage in the previous generation.....

Bob, obviously the attach rate means nothing. The PS3 sales if nothing are consistant. We will talk more after the European launch. As for sales of BD movies over HD-DVD movies that 2-1 sales margin since Jan 07 is not exactly what HD-DVD had in mind is it? Of course now that Universal has announced some release titles with tentative dates HD-DVD might be able to cut down that margin.

However, with all the Combo discs, THD discs and now the lower 720p HD on DVD-9 discs which ones are you guys going to buy and just how much are those new discs going to cost?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts