So far, I'm frustrated with Dish

jrchaps

Original poster
Aug 2, 2005
Hi, we got dish on Sunday. Right off the bat, after the guy left, there were some clouds in the area and the local channels looked really crappy, worse than our cable did. We called, the customer service was horrible, and the installer said everything is fine, he'd come out, but there's nothing he could do. Anyways, it got better that afternoon, it's been clear skies until this morning, fog, and the locals are fuzzy again. Is it me or is this normal. Anyways, since he said there is nothing he could do, I think that I want to cancel it. When I ordered it over the phone, they said I had 72 hours. I don't see that on any paperwork, so I'm sure I'm in for a battle. I want to go with a company that has better customer service.

Ouch, sorry to hear that -- are you getting your channels over the air with an antenna, or through the satellites? There's a few considerations to take here -- for example Dishnet still has to use an antenna to pick up your locals and upbeam to the satellite (apparently, sometimes it's a direct feed from the station) -- which could be affected by the weather, but of course if you have your own OTA antenna, the same problem might very well be happening.

To be honest, when we switched from cable to dishnet, I was actually impressed with the picture quality -- svideo from the receiver to the TV makes for an impressively sharp picture we never had with our shoddy cable install lol.

ok, bear with me, in checking things this is what I found:

Locked 119 -102
Locked 110 - 92
105 wrong sat 93
121 wrong sat 91

Does this help with anything??? Thanks.

Tune to one of your local channels, then on your remote hit menu 6-1-1. You will see the point dish screen with a signal meter and the satellite and transponder of the local channel you are tuned into.

I had the same problem with my a couple of my local channels, it got better.

jrchaps said:
ok, bear with me, in checking things this is what I found:

Locked 119 -102
Locked 110 - 92
105 wrong sat 93
121 wrong sat 91

Does this help with anything??? Thanks.

Your pointing to 4 satellites? Little new here too. just trying to understand I thought it you could only have one 105 or 121 but I could be wrong. I hope someone with more skills can help

First off most of the issues with the locals looking bad have nothing to do with Dish or Direct, most of the time it is the locals feed that is having the issue, second off is it a big HDTV set with a standard receiver, what kind of connection from the receiver to the TV are you using? He isn't pointing at 4 sats, he is pointing at 2. All TV's or just the HDTV where the 811 is at? Many things to take into consideration here, some more info please

I have an hdmi connection to the receiver. We do have a 42" HDTV with the 811. When it was fuzzy, it was all of the tv's not just the one.

it is your local feed than, not the dish, signal strength will not make your signal look fuzzy etc. it is digital you either have it or you don't

This is how it works. Your Local stations are received thur an antenna in your dma then they are sent to the uplink center in Cheyne, WY from there they are beamed to the satellite (110 most likely) and then beamed to your dish on your house all this takes about 2 seconds. If it was your Satellite Dish they all programing off of 110 would look the same (picture breakup and very pixelly) but your saying snow which leaves me to believe it is a antenna issue check with your neighbors and see if they are having the same problem.

jrchaps said:
Hi, we got dish on Sunday. Right off the bat, after the guy left, there were some clouds in the area and the local channels looked really crappy, worse than our cable did. We called, the customer service was horrible, and the installer said everything is fine, he'd come out, but there's nothing he could do. Anyways, it got better that afternoon, it's been clear skies until this morning, fog, and the locals are fuzzy again. Is it me or is this normal. Anyways, since he said there is nothing he could do, I think that I want to cancel it. When I ordered it over the phone, they said I had 72 hours. I don't see that on any paperwork, so I'm sure I'm in for a battle. I want to go with a company that has better customer service.

I have Dish and have had no problems. i lost the signal twice in 3 months due to severe thunderstorms, but other than that the picture is magnificent. I have a signal of 123 and 95-100 on the weaker bird. If you continue to have signal issues and Dish won't help, then yeah, cancel them. This happened to a buddy of mine at work. He had a crappy Dish set-up and they said everything was fine , but it wasnt. He ended up going back to Comcast digital. I gave my Dish installer $20 before he started. He took extra time to get a near perfect signal, put connections on all the cable ends in my basement (new house) and gave me about 25feet of extra RG-6 plus a blue fitting splitter and new (better) wall plates.

We didn't get the opportunity to tip our installer but he left a bag of cable ties outside and a huge box of RG11 in our kitchen. Needless to say, there was plenty of RG11 hanging freely from the dishes on the roof and the Dp34 was in the gutter.

To be honest I have no idea whether the guy really hated his job or whether he was drunk, but after I saw the mess in the morning we called the place the installers came from, and they sent 2 people the next morning to check it out.

As I went out by the garage to show them what I observed, they laughed when they saw the dishes -- as did I. To put this point blank, it was just really... shoddy. Shoot, it was a miracle that we got a signal, nevermind the fact that it was in the 90s... it looked like medusa climbed up on our roof and had a baby.

So they promptly fixed it, took the box of cable (which I really didn't need or want), and even repointed the dishes (yay!). Admittedly I've seen the "cloudy locals" before lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)