So, finally got a deal on a Iphone 3g

gadgtfreek

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
May 29, 2006
Lower Alabama
Our corp account allowed me a good deal, so as a long time blackberry guy, Im gonna give a 8gb 3g an eval starting tomorrow.

Is there a good forum for iphones?

Where's the best place for apps like messaging(msn)?

Any useful tips for enjoying it?

Where do you go about getting software updates?

My biggest worry is emailing with the touch screen, hopefully I can get used to it.

Ordered a durable oem skin and some screen protector film off ebay, should have them soon. Not too worried about the screen because ive seen how durable it is, but it still can be scratched.

Thanks, just looking for a start, because i know jack about apple.

Good. Figure it out and teach me, I'm lazy. Downloaded a couple of programs to give it voice dialing, haven't tried either yet.

I was thinking a female hog, but I guess they'd be useful to the piglets.....

Yep, boar hog!

Our corp account allowed me a good deal, so as a long time blackberry guy, Im gonna give a 8gb 3g an eval starting tomorrow.

My biggest worry is emailing with the touch screen, hopefully I can get used to it.

Ordered a durable oem skin and some screen protector film off ebay, should have them soon. Not too worried about the screen because ive seen how durable it is, but it still can be scratched.

My son has an original iPhone and he says this:

Macrumors.com has a good community that loves to help those new to any apple products including the iphone

For messaging i use the meebo web client on mine[accessed in Safari by going to meebo.com], I think theres a Trillian client coming for the iphone, and theres an official AIM one iirc

Software updates auto download in itunes and then auto install, it usually checks once a week, usually MacRumors and Engadget cover when they're released/due to be released

Emailing with the touch screen i find to be fairly easy, it depends on your finger dexterity and such, the spell check is a curse and a blessing, on the good side, it does a great job auto-correcting when you mess up, and it DOES learn new words and auto capitalizes names [like from your address book] However, if you like "colorful" metaphors, it will also auto censor you by default [You can however override it by backspacing and correcting it yourself]

For enjoying it, take it slow, it will take a -lot- of getting used to if you're coming straight from a blackberry with no previous Apple or Mac experience to base things on, personally, I find a Blackberry very clunky and confusing compared to my iPhone, but I also havn't really tried using one [Beyond messing with a few in the store/my fathers out of boredom]

And I definately recommend a screen protector, the screen gets dirty easily but its wiped clean on your shirt easily enough, it is a tough thing to scratch [Although i have had a screen protector since day one]

Last edited:
My son has an original iPhone and he says this:

Macrumors.com has a good community that loves to help those new to any apple products including the iphone

For messaging i use the meebo web client on mine[accessed in Safari by going to meebo.com], I think theres a Trillian client coming for the iphone, and theres an official AIM one iirc

Software updates auto download in itunes and then auto install, it usually checks once a week, usually MacRumors and Engadget cover when they're released/due to be released

Emailing with the touch screen i find to be fairly easy, it depends on your finger dexterity and such, the spell check is a curse and a blessing, on the good side, it does a great job auto-correcting when you mess up, and it DOES learn new words and auto capitalizes names [like from your address book] However, if you like "colorful" metaphors, it will also auto censor you by default [You can however override it by backspacing and correcting it yourself]

For enjoying it, take it slow, it will take a -lot- of getting used to if you're coming straight from a blackberry with no previous Apple or Mac experience to base things on, personally, I find a Blackberry very clunky and confusing compared to my iPhone, but I also havn't really tried using one [Beyond messing with a few in the store/my fathers out of boredom]

And I definately recommend a screen protector, the screen gets dirty easily but its wiped clean on your shirt easily enough, it is a tough thing to scratch [Although i have had a screen protector since day one]

Nice, thanks.

Im looking at macrumors now and just downloaded Itunes. It appears the app store has beejive now, I used this as a messenger for blackberry and it works well, so thats great.

From what I gather, it would take sand and such to scratch the glass, but no need in taking the chance.

elway I am shocked... just go to our Computers and Gadget forums. I am sure you'll get all the answers you need without going somewhere else. :D

Yeah, I watched the vid where they put it in a ziplock with keys, and then tried to gouge the glass with a key, pretty funny. They then washed it with dish soap :)

- All the apps are in the App Store, which is an icon on the iPhone's home screen.

- Software updates are all managed by iTunes. It will tell you when there's an update and install it automatically.

- I really like the CrystalFilm anti-glare screen protector. It turns the screen into more of a matte finish as opposed to the normal glossy, and it's also more resistant to fingerprints and smudging.

- There are iPhone tips on Apple's web site. If you Google "iPhone tips" you'll get tons of reading material as well. As for the touch screen, learn to trust the iPhone's autocorrect and just keep typing (unless you really completely botch something the phone will correct your mistakes properly). Some keyboard tips: double-tap the space bar for a period, double-tap the shift key for caps lock, if you press the wrong key, hold your finger down before you release and slide to the correct key and then release.

Im thinking it wont be tough for me once I get used to typing. One pro is the touchscreen and the speed, blackberrys drag and the pearl is limited in speed.

After you get use to the phone I would Jailbreak it so that you can load things like Ringtones, new themes (themed icons, backrounds etc) an applications that would not be permitted in the appstore. (Such as PDANet which lets you teather your iPhone to your PC)

Jailbreaking only takes a few minutes and its easy to go back to an unjailbroken phone if you want or need to. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts