Status
Please reply by conversation.

n1wbd

Silent Key - RIP 1/2/2012
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 7, 2003
Grafton,NH
Just wondering if any of you have tried picking satellites that don't target North America. Such European sats or Pacific sats. I remember seeing a news segment many years ago of someone receiving Russian Tv off a European sat the pic was in a snowstorm but it was watchable.

I don't quite understand what you are asking. Maybe I am missing something.

How do you propose to view the channels on different satellites if they don't target North America?
There are lots of channels on different satellites out in the Atlantic that could be seen in the U.S., but the signal is not sent to the U.S. It is sent to Europe instead.

How do you propose to view the channels on different satellites if they don't target North America?
There are lots of channels on different satellites out in the Atlantic that could be seen in the U.S., but the signal is not sent to the U.S. It is sent to Europe instead.

i think DX stands for distant transmission. dxing is recieving satellites out of their intended footprint. example. once on a wierd foggy day i picked up fm at every frequency my radio could tune but 2. being in central canada there is no way i should pick up fm radio from california or texas but there it was. was a pretty cool experience. ill start dxing when i get a 24 foot dish set up. haha.

crackt out,.

One of the things we have to realize when looking for out of footprint signals is that protection coordination is negotiated between satellite owners to ensure that there will be no interference. The best places to look for those signals would be outside the normal North America frequency bands such as 3400-3700 and 10700-11700 Mhz. The in-band fringe signals would be so low that it would take an extremely large dish to see much.

I have seen a view european forums that they claim to pic up American Satelittes with their systems way back in Europe.
All they have there is Ku so they mostly have small dishes and I've seen so many of them say that with a 1 meter dish they can pick up some american sats.
The problem with me is that my Sat can't go past 69 so I can't try it.
I have a 1.2 channel master in the garage but I don't think I would be able to get a motor for a dish that small.
But if I could I could give it a try maybe if I put it up on the roof I can get enough clearance to go low on the horizon and even pick up the Astras.
But let me ask since I'm typing now anyway if by concidence one of you have tried an actautor on a 1.2 meter dish if one of u did then tell me what kind of actuator it is and I'll try it and see what I can find.

I have seen a view european forums that they claim to pic up American Satelittes with their systems way back in Europe.
All they have there is Ku so they mostly have small dishes and I've seen so many of them say that with a 1 meter dish they can pick up some american sats.
The problem with me is that my Sat can't go past 69 so I can't try it.
I have a 1.2 channel master in the garage but I don't think I would be able to get a motor for a dish that small.
But if I could I could give it a try maybe if I put it up on the roof I can get enough clearance to go low on the horizon and even pick up the Astras.
But let me ask since I'm typing now anyway if by concidence one of you have tried an actautor on a 1.2 meter dish if one of u did then tell me what kind of actuator it is and I'll try it and see what I can find.

ive built a polar mount for a 1m channel master that uses and actuator.

http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-ai...other-channel-master-polar-mount-attempt.html

others have also tried this. as for a mount you could purchase... i think they are all discontinued.

crackt out,.

Think of it like listening to shortwave radio station from overseas. RF knows no boundaries. With a big enough BUD you could receive signals outside the intended footprint of the bird. The birds could be very low on the horizon but as long as you have LOS it's possible. I was just asking if anyone has tried it and if so could they post their results.

Is this possible?

This is something I'm interested in doing, I always presumed it was "impossible" so never tried.

Ahh never say never. You might be surprised. No harm in trying if you have the right location and can get your dish low enough.
Well personally I've never seen microwave travel through the ground... :)

The Astra satellites are located at 19.2 East...nowhere in North America can see that orbital location...

I have two 8 ft solid dishes with left hand drives and I can see down to Express AM44 at 11W and Atlantic Bird 1 at 12.5W from WNC.

How did you do? Were you able to receive anything?

Well personally I've never seen microwave travel through the ground... :)

The Astra satellites are located at 19.2 East...nowhere in North America can see that orbital location...

I have two 8 ft solid dishes with left hand drives and I can see down to Express AM44 at 11W and Atlantic Bird 1 at 12.5W from WNC.

Why sure! There's some stuff there, but of course I'm after feeds, especially news feeds. There's quite a bit of stuff on Hispasat at 30W, and NSS806, I805, and I9 are loaded up.

Tropaferic ducting

What you probably experienced was probable tropersferic ducting. When I first got a digital tv after the big turnover of analog to digital I did not have a roof top antenna so I made a homemade antenna like so many do. I just had it setting on the floor in back of the tv and some strange weather came in that night and I got a whole bunch of stations that night. From indianapolis indiana to chicago and I live in central michigan. I have never got then again after that weird weather night.
Just my thoughts.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)