So how good is the sound?

I have xm and it sounds pretty good to me, no complaints. But have a friend with Sirius and his has a serious humming sound and they have tried various grounding methods with no luck but they say its his car, so isolated incident they claim. Haven't heard sirius installed in any other cars.

I have a Sirius PNP 2.5 in my Mustang. The FM modulator did not impress me for sound quality, I installed a cassette adapter and now its as good as FM if not a tad better, of course the programming choices make Sirius a no brainer over FM

I have the 3rd generation Sirius via the FM modulator and it is better than FM radio and a cassette after about 10 plays, but about 5% - 10% less than CD as far as dynamic range. With all the choice its perfect.

I have a XM Roady using an FM modulator and switching it between my company van and personal cars, sounds better then FM but not quite as good as CD, however it is the programing choices and commercial free music choices that make it worth $10/mo. Now if XM would only add a Southern Gospel channel, it would be complete.

Decker87 said:
For XM and Sirius radio. Is it CD quality? Is it even close?

I have Sirius with an Audiovox PNP2. The FM sounds great, much better (and louder) than my normal FM stations (which I don't use AT ALL now). I tried a cassette adaptor also, and it made it MUCH lower sound volume (at max volume I only had 50% of what I did with the FM/Sirius).
I would say it's not CD quality, but unless you have a real high-end car system, I doubt you'd see much difference.
For what is worth, I love this Sirius service. My brother signed up also, and he's even happier.

Well, I basically hate the sound quality coming from the normal FM radio. I'm one of those annoying people that can tell the difference between an MP3 and true CD quality. I probably will end up with XM Radio rahter than sirius, simply because I haven't found any receivers I like better that are sirius-ready.

XM Radio on my 'home stereo' sounds better with the skifi2. The sound quality is better than with the skifi1 however the tin can stations (off air, t&w) sound terrible, even worse, but who would want to listen to those for hours. Most talk stations now sound better except for a few. The music stations sound better though.

Decker87 said:
For XM and Sirius radio. Is it CD quality? Is it even close?

I have a Monsoon HU with a great speaker system. My JVC PnP 1000 is hard wired into the CD aux input. The sound is great! I feel that it is CD quality. I used a PIE input and then quality cables for the connection. Before this, I did use the FM modulation, but as the stations are all used, it was a bit of a problem. I would go with the hard wire option for best sound. :)

I have a 2005 Honda Accord with a factory XM radio. The sound is close to FM and CD. There is a big difference in the level. Sometimes I really have to crank up the volume on XM. If I had FM or CD that high, it would be too loud. And among the XM rock stations, some are louder than others. This is mildly annoying.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)