So how much should I budget for a TV?

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Not open for further replies.

cdru

Just another yahoo
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Dec 4, 2003
Fort Wayne, Indiana
I did some preliminary number crunching and it looks like I'll be getting back a decent amount of money from Uncle Sam this year. See...it did pay off to have 3 kids within 26 months of each other. I'm tired of shelling out money on them and I'd like to finally upgrade into this HD thing everyone keeps talking about. :)

Due to the size and shape of the room, I'm probably going to be looking at something in the 50-57" range. Front projection is automatically ruled out as there is no suitable location for the projector that would pass the wife-approval and there is also a large sliding glass door to the right of the television as well.

While there is no room in the rest of the house, the location of the TV will be fairly open so size really isn't a consideration. A CRT-based rear projection wouldn't matter as compared to a LCD or DLP based set. Plasma is out of my price range for this size no matter what.

Price is probably my biggest consideration. I'd like to get as much as I can while still spending as little as possible. In all honesty something like this would work well. All video switching would be done for the most part by my AV receiver, so number of inputs isn't critical. PiP/2 tuners would be nice, but isn't a requirement.

So my question is, how much should reasonably budget to get a decent TV? Is there really a difference, other then the obvious difference in technology between the TV above and say a $1500 DLP? Should I stick with a CRT RP TV for the most bang for the buck?

budget for tv.

i would look at the JVC system for price and value if you are interested in geater than 50 inches. for a 50 inch set the vizio plasma is a great deal. think it is around $2500 at costco. i bought the sony 55 inch rear projection lcd set. very pleased with the quality. in hind sight the 55 inch set is a little big for the room and i should have bought the 50 inch plasma.

good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)