So I bought a Skystar 2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Ramthebuffs

Well-Known SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
May 4, 2007
I'm not exactly sure how to set this all up. I'm pretty sure theres no way to run USALS, so can I split my line to my receiver and to my computer? I guess I could slave? But that limits me to either ver or hor right? Anybody who has one of these things have any tips? From what I've tried it has a blindscan and its fast, I just have to sort out this dis stuff as it doesn't explicitly label port 1, port 2 etc.

What software are you using?

USAL support is possible with the Skystar 2.

I prefer SS2Diseqc1.10, it is a great USAL plugin and works with most software.

What software are you using?

USAL support is possible with the Skystar 2.

I prefer SS2Diseqc1.10, it is a great USAL plugin and works with most software.

I think the newer versions of MyTheatre will do USALS ?

Blind scan on a SkyStar 2 card ?

Wyr

Right now I'm just using whatever software came with the card. I'd like to be able to move my dish tho. I've got version *.6 and it has blindscan as well.

Right now I'm just using whatever software came with the card. I'd like to be able to move my dish tho. I've got version *.6 and it has blindscan as well.

AFAIK Version 2.6 does not have hardware blind scan. Only version 2.3 has and it is hard to find. Using Transedit tool you will be able to "blind"scan if you know the Symbol rates. ex. If you put 3967 as Synmbol rate, you may be able to scan for the feeds or 20000, you will be able to scan most of TPs in G25 (IA5)

it probably allready had the tp's entered in its list, do you have a blindscan ird you can compare against ? 97 isnt the best satellite for feeds.

No, I had to manually add 97' to the list of birds. There were like 5 preset ones and they were all Euro sats. Hotbird, and something that starts with an A etc.

It has a blindscan, you select the steps and min/max scan limits.

Does anyone have any experience setting this card up on a linux box? I've seen a couple posts by googling, but I'd rather talk to someone who knew what they were doing.

Where to get SkyStar2?

I'd like to get SkyStar2 but have no idea where?

I'd appreciate some hints.

Thanks

Just watch what you're buying (if you want blindscanning) The newer 2.6 version (like cyberestore appears to sell) do not blindscan like the 2.3 version.

I blindscanned 97' no problems with 2.6
....hrmmm.... first time in LOTs of posts about these cards that anyone has made this claim.
If I recall, even folks with the 2.3 model didn't find blind scanning up to the quality and speed of a good FTA receiver.

It is certainly possible that new cards to the market (S2?) may have such a feature, and I hope that happens.

I bought 2 years ago or so the SkyStar 2 model 2.6D (the latest at that time, don't know if there is a new one); mine does not have the blind scan capacity, like the 2.3.

Mike

Anole: the SS2 2.6 comes with two software packs, one is designed for data reception and the other is for regular channel viewing. As I recall you can use the data side for tuning your dish, which I have done since it has an optional audible tone. Also when scanning you can state the frequency range but leave the symbol rate blank and it will still find transponders with channels and store them in its internal database for later use. In a sense this could be called blind scanning. Are the found channels data only? I don't know, perhaps someone else has investigated this.

However once that process is done if you switch to the regular channel viewing you find no reference to the work that the data side has done. If you use the viewing side to try blind scanning without entering a SR the programme complains that it can't do it. Enter a SR of some kind and it will use that information and perform its scanning.

So, referring to blind scanning on the SS2 can be quite convoluted. I don't know how this compares to the 2.3, perhaps others can clarify. As you have stated, the card does not seem to compare to a regular FTA box, in particular you can count on needing a larger dish to feed more signal to your lnb.

Last edited:
just one lizards opinion . . .

Colbec - thanks for the comments.

My off-and-on experiences with DVB cards certainly left a bad taste in my mouth.
Antenna alignment and blind scanning are really not their domain.
And of course, I don't doubt there are some die-hards who do it. :cool:

The modest price of blind-scan stand-alone receivers makes them an indispensable tool in any FTAer's arsenal.
. . . at which point, how well a PCI card scans is no longer a concern.

Anole: agreed, DVB cards are a bit like a racehorse I used to know, very rude to humans and other horses but while he kept on winning races it was something you could put up with. DVB cards don't win the races that the standalone boxes do, but they streak ahead in other contexts.

Now we just need a convenient software to translate our coolsat *.ndf into *.ini file for the dvb.

getting a bit off topic, but . . .

If anyone really wants to continue this line of thought, it should probably be broken off to a new thread in the proper area . . .

Now we just need a convenient software to translate our coolsat *.ndf into *.ini file for the dvb.

Given that the hackers have the source to many common FTA boxes (I'm assuming)....
And by hackers, I don't mean end-users, but the programmers who feed modified bin files to 'em...
What's the chance someone could come up with the source to the Coolsat 5000 or some other similar receiver, and . . .
Either port it to run on a PC under Windows/Unix,. . .
... or maybe standalone with an interpreter for the original CPU chip from the box?! - :eek:

Can you imagine having your DVB card run Mercury II firmware? Coolsat 5000? Name your poison?
Wouldn't those interfaces be nice to have?
Maybe only certain DVB cards would work with each particular emulation?

Well, I'll leave the thoughts to roll around in your heads, and describe no more.

Glad to find this thread as Skystar 2 coming from Vesalia Computer (someone wanted to know where to get). Do not know what version it is.
Uncertain whether to use a 3' primestar on a portable mount or the 10' mesh that "may" be sprung out of alignment. It has only a c-band lnb. So, should I spring for the dif and purchase C and KU lnb combo? Any recommendations as to brand of unit? Also, do not have a "working" motor drive positioners control unit to change sat positions. Any recommended units? I have been out of this for while and not up to speed on the acronyms.
In this thread there was mention of usage of the old lnb that came on the 3' primestar (with both H&V feed lines). I figured it to be either bad have such high noise level that it would not be considered for use. Were they good lnbs? The photos I have seen here on the 3" all seem to have dif mounting bracket for the lnb. Mine has a plastic clamp about 1.5 inches ID, with substantional holding surface of over 1 inch. It appears to the the factory unit.

Tom

As far as the primestar lnb, they aren't the best performers compared to newer lnbs. HOWEVER, given the awesome feedhorn designed to match your dish perfectly, people tend to get pretty good performance using the pair (lnb and matched feedhorn compared to new lnbf that is not designed for the primestar).

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts