So I guess NBR *DOES NOT* extend time if a show runs over.

J3ff

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Aug 19, 2004
Wasnt this a feature? If your show starts late, say because of one of those darn foot ball games, it's supposed to extend the recording untill its over?

Example:

I LOVEEEE cold case, and it starts late almost every week, and of course ends late.

I wasnt home this weekend to make sure, so I get home yesterday, and watch it, and guess what, well the first 15 mins are some other show, and I miss who killed the guy!

THANKS NBR!

NBR is only as accurate as the guide info. Tivo has the same limitation but from what I have read their guide info is more reliable.

NightRyder

I have the same problem with Cold Case and Sunday Afternoon Football the only fix I know is to add time to the end of the timer I pad Cold Case by 60 minutes which usally solves the problem. I had a Tivo prior to the 522 with cable and had the same problem since the progam guide does not get updated in time to adjust the recording time. Don't worry the problem usally goes away after Football season and since I am not a Football fan I look forward to the end of Football season as soon as possible every year.

How exactly is the NBR software supposed to divine when the football game ended? The 522 and NBR have their faults, but you can't expect it to be magic.

Just extend the ending to ensure you get it all.

My 522 won't wash my car! I think I'll post a complaint on the nearest satellite-enthusiasts site I can find! :mad: They said it was a magic box!

maybe im going crazy but isnt this one of the features (auto-extended timers) that everyone was so carzy about coming with NBR?

J3ff said:
maybe im going crazy but isnt this one of the features (auto-extended timers) that everyone was so carzy about coming with NBR?

No DVR can do that. What NBR can do is catch scheduled shows that are outside their normal length, like NBC does sometimes with their Thur. night lineup.

NightRyder

NightRyder said:
No DVR can do that. What NBR can do is catch scheduled shows that are outside their normal length, like NBC does sometimes with their Thur. night lineup.

NightRyder

He means that if a normal timer for something like "CSI" was set for 8-9, you would have to manually change the timer if there was a 90 minute special from 7:30-9. NBR will automatically flex to the 90-minute show. The DVR has NO way of knowing if a show is late because of a football game. Just like the network did not know the football game would run late, the DVR has no magical ability to know it either.

Every DVR, wether it's a DTivo, 522, etc, only goes by the guide data it has. It has no clue if a show runs over. It can only go off the guide.

chaddux said:
He means that if a normal timer for something like "CSI" was set for 8-9, you would have to manually change the timer if there was a 90 minute special from 7:30-9. NBR will automatically flex to the 90-minute show. The DVR has NO way of knowing if a show is late because of a football game. Just like the network did not know the football game would run late, the DVR has no magical ability to know it either.

Exactly. Thanks for expanding on my point.

NightRyder

Actually....

I don't think there's a strong enough business reason to do it (and I wouldn't trust Dish to do it) but there really shouldn't be any reason that the DVR can't be modified to do this. Every show is supposed to have a data stream associated with it that includes the name of the show and the times. it would have to be some pretty advanced programming but they could include this data in the stream and then compare the data being broadcast with the data in the guide to decide if the show is delayed or extended. Obviously this would be an "option" that you could enable or disable on the timer (and by default would be disabled)

'course Fox just joins the shows in progress so I have to fault them for scheduling new shows right after football games, not a single one has ended on time... At least with NBR I'll be able to catch the re-runs of Malcolm as they occur...

chaddux said:
Just like the network did not know the football game would run late, the DVR has no magical ability to know it either.
The network should know most games run over. If they would start 30 min earlier that would solve most ocurances of late delayed programing. Then to eliminate the rest of the delays they should join 60 minutes in progress.

n0qcu said:
The network should know most games run over. If they would start 30 min earlier that would solve most ocurances of late delayed programing.

But then they wouldn't get the big ratings bump for the show following the game. ;)

NightRyder

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts