So I have a dilemma...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tex Arcana

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Aug 2, 2010
McKinney, TX
I've had Dish before, for damn near 10 years straight; so, obviously, I kinda liked them. But when we moved to an apartment from our house (long story, basically downsizing), we thought we couldn't do Dish because how the apartments are set up. So we went with uVerse for tv and Internet.

Needless to say, uVerse is insanely expensive. And the picture quality isn't all that good--severe pixelation on "busy" scenes and scene transistions.

Needless to say, I'm not pleased.

So, I'm looking to change, and I'd like to see what advice y'all can give me. We need TV & Internet, and I must have at least mostly HD with BBCA-HD and SPEED-HD; we also need the local channels.

The kicker is, we just pulled the trigger on a new home build, and the target completion date is around mid-late September, so we will have to move the service. 

So, what say ye, ye experts of satellite guys? Am I just barking up a tree? Or is there something out there (the only choices afaik are Dish, Direct, AT&T, and Time-Warner) that will give me what I need? 

Local zip code is 75070; zip where we're moving: 75409.

Thanks in advance.

If you absolutely have to have BBC in hd, then Directv isn't for you right now since they don't carry it. Other than that, what provider has the programming you want. That would be my first qualifier. Then I would look at price, then the equipment. The choice is yours. Good luck!

raoul5788 said:
If you absolutely have to have BBC in hd, then Directv isn't for you right now since they don't carry it. Other than that, what provider has the programming you want. That would be my first qualifier. Then I would look at price, then the equipment. The choice is yours. Good luck!

Dish would be the provider that has the programming (BBC America HD) he wants.

I would never base my selection on one or two channels unless that is exactly all I watched. I would choose the best overall channel availability and then factor in the total cost (including the hidden gotchas) for said overall availability.

I would never base my selection on one or two channels unless that is exactly all I watched. I would choose the best overall channel availability and then factor in the total cost (including the hidden gotchas) for said overall availability.

Well, uVerse "gotcha'd" me by telling me I was getting HD programming, when I wasn't; and they "gotcha'd" me with the lack of BBCA in HD.

The vast majority of channels I do watch are pretty much universally HD across the providers; so wanting/needing two being a deal-breaker can be valid.

Right now, for the money I pay, I'm not getting the quality or selection I want. Hence why I want to change.

and because dish has bbchd now does not mean they will have it in september
they donot have a stellar track record in keeping stations

mdram said:
and because dish has bbchd now does not mean they will have it in september
they donot have a stellar track record in keeping stations

...and where is G4 on D*?
D* also offered Lifetime Real Women...

E* is not the only provider.

As far as I know (which really is not a definite answer as we do not know the next time contact renewals come up between channels and providers), there is nothing on the radar that shows that Dish will drop BBC America anytime soon. The same can be said about DirecTV, Fios, Uverse, and any other programmer that may offer it.

With any provider, it seems they reserve the right to make changes regardless if subscribers have signed a 2-year contract.

I also think we will see disputes more and more with channels and providers when it is time for them to renew contracts especially in these economic times if providers want to keep the costs down to retain subs while still trying to keep them satisfied.

Last edited:
...and where is G4 on D*?
D* also offered Lifetime Real Women...

E* is not the only provider.

As far as I know (which really is not a definite answer as we do not know the next time contact renewals come up between channels and providers), there is nothing on the radar that shows that Dish will drop BBC America anytime soon. The same can be said about DirecTV, Fios, Uverse, and any other programmer that may offer it.

With any provider, it seems they reserve the right to make changes regardless if subscribers have signed a 2-year contract.

I also think we will see disputes more and more with channels and providers when it is time for them to renew contracts especially in these economic times if providers want to keep the costs down to retain subs while still trying to keep them satisfied.

it just seems that dish does it more then others
one of the reasons i switched to d* is because of losing channels

ok so i lost g4, i dont remember wtaching it
i do know i watched fx, disneyhd, ect ect. and knew when they disapeared

it just seems that dish does it more then others
one of the reasons i switched to d* is because of losing channels

ok so i lost g4, i dont remember wtaching it
i do know i watched fx, disneyhd, ect ect. and knew when they disapeared

Yeah with Dish they dropped SNY and MSG, so NY sports fans can't see their Mets, Knicks and Yanks and Nets since they also never got YES. Dish is more likely to drop channels then DirecTV is.

I never had an issue with Dish, just there prices were outrageous, when I pay the same now then I did with Dish, and didn't have HD and DVR features/receivers. I was with them for a year, and had enough.

I wouldn't base a provider on 1 or 2 HD channels, whether they have it or not. I went back to DirecTV because I had it before, felt it was better, price and quality wise. Got the ability to once again have the Ticket as I am not in my teams market. And I will never go back to Cable.

Yeah with Dish they dropped SNY and MSG, so NY sports fans can't see their Mets, Knicks and Yanks and Nets since they also never got YES. Dish is more likely to drop channels then DirecTV is.

I never had an issue with Dish, just there prices were outrageous, when I pay the same now then I did with Dish, and didn't have HD and DVR features/receivers. I was with them for a year, and had enough.

I wouldn't base a provider on 1 or 2 HD channels, whether they have it or not. I went back to DirecTV because I had it before, felt it was better, price and quality wise. Got the ability to once again have the Ticket as I am not in my teams market. And I will never go back to Cable.

actually programming wise, the price is very close
it was the dvr fees that dish charged. i think they are closer to d* now with the hopper setup

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)