So I just got DirecTV

Status
Please reply by conversation.

youngbloodz

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 4, 2007
Got it installed today, and I must say it is WAY better than my Cable company! (CableOne) The only problem is there are no local channels in my area yet...I have already applied for a waiver to ABC and acquired CW....just wondering, how long do waivers usually take, and are they worth it? And should I just get an HDTV antenna? Also, is there any way to check when my area will get locals? (Gulfport-Biloxi, MS) Thanks!

Got it installed today, and I must say it is WAY better than my Cable company! (CableOne) The only problem is there are no local channels in my area yet...I have already applied for a waiver to ABC and acquired CW....just wondering, how long do waivers usually take, and are they worth it? And should I just get an HDTV antenna? Also, is there any way to check when my area will get locals? (Gulfport-Biloxi, MS) Thanks!

Your best bet and quickest it the old style antennas.
Check out this site for more antenna info:
AntennaWeb

From looking at it quickly it looks like you can get ABC and PBS out of Biloxi and FOX out of Golfport.
You would need to get CBS out of Mobile, Al though not HD and I do not see any listing for CBS.
They are in the same GENERAL area, not the same area, but close, the towers are not very far away, so you may be able to get them with a good indoor antenna, I would try that first to see if it will work for you.
If you want to do the outdoor antenna, I would reccomend an antenna and a rotor so you can easily turn to the desired city, you may get others from other cities as well.
As for locals on D*, I have no idea when your area will be serviced.
Also, there is no such thing as an "HD Antenna" any good UHF will work nicely.

Jimbo

So should i just cancel my pending waiver with ABC ? Also, would the reception be bad on an HDTV with an indoor antenna? I am unable to do an outdoor. Any suggestions on an indoor antenna i can get?

Last edited:
So should i just cancel my pending waiver with ABC ? Also, would the reception be bad on an HDTV with an indoor antenna? I am unable to do an outdoor.

I would not cancel the ABC wavier, just in case you get it.
As for the HD Indoor antenna, you should do fine and your reception should be great, most of the channels your looking for are only 25 miles away.

Jimbo

I would not cancel the ABC wavier, just in case you get it.
As for the HD Indoor antenna, you should do fine and your reception should be great, most of the channels your looking for are only 25 miles away.

Jimbo

Any suggestion on a indoor antenna I should get?

What is your zip code AND do you have any issues with an attic or roof/eave mounted antenna?

Digital in Biloxi-Gulfport, MS (DMA 160)
WLOX ABC 13.n 39
WMAH PBS 19.n 16
WXXV FOX 25.n 48

I used zip code 39574 just for a test:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    21.4 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:
What is your zip code AND do you have any issues with an attic or roof/eave mounted antenna?

My zip code is 39503. And Yes, I am unable to mount a roof antenna due to my current conditions, only an indoor.

Got it installed today, and I must say it is WAY better than my Cable company! (CableOne)

C'mon. CableOne is a fine company. Nothing but the best. :rolleyes: It could be worse. Cox had a mass exodus in Bastrop, La when the plant manager found religion and decided it was up to him to save the world, starting with dropping MTV. :eek:

Your best bet and quickest it the old style antennas.
Check out this site for more antenna info:
AntennaWeb

From looking at it quickly it looks like you can get ABC and PBS out of Biloxi and FOX out of Golfport.
You would need to get CBS out of Mobile, Al though not HD and I do not see any listing for CBS.
They are in the same GENERAL area, not the same area, but close, the towers are not very far away, so you may be able to get them with a good indoor antenna, I would try that first to see if it will work for you.
If you want to do the outdoor antenna, I would reccomend an antenna and a rotor so you can easily turn to the desired city, you may get others from other cities as well.
As for locals on D*, I have no idea when your area will be serviced.
Also, there is no such thing as an "HD Antenna" any good UHF will work nicely.

Jimbo
He would be able to pick up all of the stations that you listed easily from where he is. I am about 60 miles north and get them all. yes CBS (channel 5) out of Mobile is HD.

Its possible you could pull in WDAM(channel 7/NBC) out of hattiesburg/laurel also.

C'mon. CableOne is a fine company. Nothing but the best. :rolleyes: It could be worse. Cox had a mass exodus in Bastrop, La when the plant manager found religion and decided it was up to him to save the world, starting with dropping MTV. :eek:

Are you kidding? CableOne is one of the worst companies on the coast. Terrible customer service, Terrible reception, TERRIBLE internet, i am glad i switched out of it. only con is no local channels :(

What part of MS are you located? You don't have locals either? also What kind of antenna do you use?
Wayne county, right on the alabama/mississippi line. I use a channel master 4228, however its an outdoor antenna. I can pick up stuff from as far away as new orleans on a 20 foot pole.
I get all of the meridian, mississippi coastal and mobile/pensacola channels

Are you kidding? CableOne is one of the worst companies on the coast. Terrible customer service, Terrible reception, TERRIBLE internet, i am glad i switched out of it. only con is no local channels :(
haha he was being sarcastic i think

Wayne county, right on the alabama/mississippi line. I use a channel master 4228, however its an outdoor antenna. I can pick up stuff from as far away as new orleans on a 20 foot pole.
I get all of the meridian, mississippi coastal and mobile/pensacola channels

How does an outdoor antenna actually work, do you have to do all thigns like a regular satellite? Mount it and get lines to all the rooms?

How does an outdoor antenna actually work, do you have to do all thigns like a regular satellite? Mount it and get lines to all the rooms?
Unfortunately yes. Indoor is the same, the good thing about them is the line and the antenna arent far from the tv, although you lose alot of distance versus an outdoor. The one I got is basically a 3x3 foot square(maybe a little smaller) so it isnt as uncosmetic as your traditional antenna, and the reception on it is the best of any i have tried. I have mine mounted on a thirty foot extendable pole, but keep it around 20 feet, as that brings in everything i would want(and ive already told you the range), it also allows me to lower it doen to around 10 feet high. This antenna has little wind resistance and survives both hurricane Ivan and Katrina with no ill effects.

Well, you will wake up and see you are no better off then getting any other service. That I can promise you. Sorry to be so witchful.
:eek:

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)