So I picked up the Yellow Pages...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Katrinasucks

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 11, 2005
I decided to call around and see if there were some local dealers who did FTA.
Here is the rough transcript of the first call:

Me: Do you guys sell KU stuff?

Him: Sure, plenty of it.

Me: Do you carry the Fortec Classic NA?

Him: Yep, 105 and I have plenty in stock.

Me (channeling PSB): And what sized dishes do you stock?

Him: Mostly 18"

Me: No 90cm or 1 meter dishes?

Him: Oh, you want to do that Free To Air Stuff!?!

Me: Yeah.

Him: We can get some of them in next week. We mostly just sell 18" dishes.

Me (being bold): To people hacking Dish?

Him: um er ah duh ah ... I don't know what they are using them for.

Me: Thanks

============

Then on the second call, I found a guy who said he "collects" FTA receivers that "just don't get the channels like they used to" (with a wink and a nod that could be heard thru the phone) from people and he'd see if he had any he'd "give" me.

Not sure what "give" meant in context but I'm waiting for his call either way.

Which actually leads me to a question... If I do get a receiver that "just doesn't get the channels like it used to" can I still use it as is for FTA as is or do I need to track down the factory file?

Anyway... It was an enlighting experience. I can only imagine the first call if I had not hung out here for a while. I'd have no idea what the guy was talking about.

Scumbags! This is the problem out there, 100% honest people like myself can't compete with these guys, they would sell their Granny if they thought they could make money!
Did I say Scumbags?

back to topic....yes you can flash it back to the original specs. Between the factory websites and what I have collected we should be able to help ya out :)

Most software to hack Dish does not hinder the actual FTA stuff. As I mentioned before, I actually had an old, I guess you could say hack version of software in my KUSat. And before anybody jumps the gun, it DID NOT get anything it shouldn't have (It was a real old version). Basically I got it for the USALS function (the KUsat/Digiwave did not come with USALS...just 1.2). Worked great for FTA and gave me USALS and AC-3 ouput :)

But Pete is right...I've seen too many "backwoods" people who just want to sell hack software. I saw one near our cabin. He had some old Pansats and Fortecs that he was selling for too damn much. I asked him why can I get them at another place for almost 1/2 the cost. His responce...well, we program it for you.

I too have used hack software,(that doesn't unscramble anything anymore) for the new functions (i.e., USALs etc..) that they contain. However anyone out there who flashes their unit must also realize that these could cook your receiver beyond repair, so be careful. As for the software in the receiver....You could just wait until the software doesn't unscramble anything, or better yet, just scan in the true unscrambled FTA channels, delete the scrambled channels and enjoy. Remember that the receiver is legal, the software you install is only illegal if you steal satellite signals with it. Sometimes its tricky to re-flash some receivers and I would hate to hear someone who accidentally fries their receiver because they made a mistake.

As above, the functionality of the FTA receiver stays the same and will work with unencrypted, TRUE FTA signals out there.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts